Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 09-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
norcalkev
Banned

norcalkev is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny swap?

hey everyone Im new to the forum and new to discussing supra stuff... With that said I'm not totally ignorant about supras... I've done a lot of reading and homework. One thing I can't seem to find out is the common practice of switching a mkiv tt with the auto tranny to a manual. Is this fairly easy... would you have to switch cpu's or wire harnesses? does the auto tt have different hardware than the manual tt like the n/a does ex. heads, pistons, wheel, brakes ect? Only reason I ask is because the mkiv tt auto tranny supras are considerably cheaper and i have a fab shop that if this is a common practice I could easily do. thanks.
norcalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalkev View Post
hey everyone Im new to the forum and new to discussing supra stuff... With that said I'm not totally ignorant about supras... I've done a lot of reading and homework. One thing I can't seem to find out is the common practice of switching a mkiv tt with the auto tranny to a manual. Is this fairly easy... would you have to switch cpu's or wire harnesses? does the auto tt have different hardware than the manual tt like the n/a does ex. heads, pistons, wheel, brakes ect? Only reason I ask is because the mkiv tt auto tranny supras are considerably cheaper and i have a fab shop that if this is a common practice I could easily do. thanks.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but if you've done "a lot of reading and homework", then why didn't you read the third thread in our MKIV FAQ?
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...ing-trany.html

The auto TT has the same* hardware as the 6spd TT, except the transmission and the ecu. There are minor differences like the driveshaft length and the diff gearing*, but for the most part an Mkiv TT is an Mkiv TT. Oh, and if you're going to drag race an auto is actually faster (and more consistent) in the 1/4 mile than a 6spd...so maybe you really don't want to swap it out after all?

* Somewhat minor point: In '96-'98, the US-spec's auto diff was non-LSD (although 'yota did NOT publish this change! - for those of you ripped off, it may be too late for a class action law suit ).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-27-2011 at 11:21 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
norcalkev
Banned

norcalkev is on a distinguished road

I'm picking up on your sarcasm. look I just joined this forum yesterday and I did search through several pages looking for an answer to my question. I apologize I didn't notice the FAQ section but just because I didn't shouldn't be an indication I haven't read anything on toyota supras so ummm how about a little slack ok? furthermore, I agree auto tranny's are better for drag times as it eliminates driver error but for the supra, the auto tranny (A340E) is a piece compared to the German made V160 manual. The A340E auto tranny is the same tranny they use in the toyota tundra for god sakes. With that being said the V160 is the only option to go and so what if you have to learn how to drive the manual gearbox... doing so and perfecting would only make you a better driver. Toyota does make a powerglide auto tranny that could be potentially interesting but in my opinion I believe changing major components in a car takes away authenticity and just isn't as impressive.
norcalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalkev View Post
I'm picking up on your sarcasm. look I just joined this forum yesterday and I did search through several pages looking for an answer to my question. I apologize I didn't notice the FAQ section but just because I didn't shouldn't be an indication I haven't read anything on toyota supras so ummm how about a little slack ok? furthermore, I agree auto tranny's are better for drag times as it eliminates driver error but for the supra, the auto tranny (A340E) is a piece compared to the German made V160 manual. The A340E auto tranny is the same tranny they use in the toyota tundra for god sakes. With that being said the V160 is the only option to go and so what if you have to learn how to drive the manual gearbox... doing so and perfecting would only make you a better driver. Toyota does make a powerglide auto tranny that could be potentially interesting but in my opinion I believe changing major components in a car takes away authenticity and just isn't as impressive.
I don't disagree with anything you said, except maybe your implication that a great Mkiv TT BPU 6spd driver could beat an auto - that's never been proven (though you're welcome to try, of course!).

Please accept my apologies - sometimes I just get a bit tired of answering the same question over and over and over. My bad.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote