Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIV Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/)
-   -   Washed Car/Engine.. now Problem (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/19351-washed-car-engine-now-problem.html)

marezmichael 07-02-2011 10:37 PM

Washed Car/Engine.. now Problem

ok, just bought a 1995 na non turbo..
car was dirty when i bought it, so decided to wash it.

washed it this morning, exterior 1st, then opened the hood and washed it now. started up fine, but when I began to drive it, felt like it was losing power. before it idled at about a grand, now its less than 800 and "rumbles" as is the car is going to die out?! should i not have washed the engine!? and could it be the battery?! help!??!

97SupraTT 07-03-2011 09:02 AM

Did you cover all of your electrical components including battary? If you didnt then often times if you get all your electrical connectors wet then it could cause things to act up. Letting them fully dry out before driving it again may fix the problem.

When washing the engine bay, I always cover all electrical connectors with plastic the best I can and I also cover the air intake just to be safe.

pwpanas 07-03-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezmichael (Post 96388)
ok, just bought a 1995 na non turbo..
car was dirty when i bought it, so decided to wash it.

washed it this morning, exterior 1st, then opened the hood and washed it now. started up fine, but when I began to drive it, felt like it was losing power. before it idled at about a grand, now its less than 800 and "rumbles" as is the car is going to die out?! should i not have washed the engine!? and could it be the battery?! help!??!

Sounds like maybe an ignition problem? Try taking off your distributor cap and plug wires and let them dry thoroughly...

marezmichael 07-03-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97SupraTT (Post 96390)
Did you cover all of your electrical components including battary? If you didnt then often times if you get all your electrical connectors wet then it could cause things to act up. Letting them fully dry out before driving it again may fix the problem.

When washing the engine bay, I always cover all electrical connectors with plastic the best I can and I also cover the air intake just to be safe.

negative, did not cover. but i didnt hose the engine down neither though. just a light mist of water. the car turns on perfectly, runs fine for about 2 mins, then feels like its losing power. the gauge cluster lights begin to dim after 5 mins of engine running, including the headlights.

i washed the car more then 24 hours ago, should i disconnect the battery and manually dry everything off?

marezmichael 07-03-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 96391)
Sounds like maybe an ignition problem? Try taking off your distributor cap and plug wires and let them dry thoroughly...

the car turns on fine, i've started it up 4 times since the wash and let it run for 5-10 mins, the longer i leave it running, the more the car feels like its losing power?!

97SupraTT 07-03-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezmichael (Post 96394)
the car turns on fine, i've started it up 4 times since the wash and let it run for 5-10 mins, the longer i leave it running, the more the car feels like its losing power?!

Are any warning lights coming on? You could try to disconnect the battary, dry the terminals (probably shouldnt be wet anymore anyhow) let it sit disconnected for a lil while and then reconnect and see if that helps. Not sure if it will though.

marezmichael 07-03-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97SupraTT (Post 96395)
Are any warning lights coming on? You could try to disconnect the battary, dry the terminals (probably shouldnt be wet anymore anyhow) let it sit disconnected for a lil while and then reconnect and see if that helps. Not sure if it will though.

the warning light above the tach.. and also the temp warning light?
but i will disconnect dry off, and re-post if problem still occurs, thanks for the help.

97SupraTT 07-03-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezmichael (Post 96397)
the warning light above the tach.. and also the temp warning light?
but i will disconnect dry off, and re-post if problem still occurs, thanks for the help.

OK, I would let it sit disconnected for at least 30 minutes or so. If you dont mind me asking, where are you at in Germany? I just moved from there about a year ago. Did you buy the car in Germany?

marezmichael 07-03-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97SupraTT (Post 96398)
OK, I would let it sit disconnected for at least 30 minutes or so. If you dont mind me asking, where are you at in Germany? I just moved from there about a year ago. Did you buy the car in Germany?

I would disconnect it but its raining outside and doesn't look like its going to stop anytime soon. perfect!

I just started it and like it run for about 10 mins. same thing happened. light above the tach stayed on the entire time, as soon as i put it drive to go around the corner, the light next to the temp came on. really dont know what to do know, really confused and kinda pissed off now.

im stationed in Vilseck and I bought the car from another soldier here on post.

97SupraTT 07-03-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezmichael (Post 96399)
I would disconnect it but its raining outside and doesn't look like its going to stop anytime soon. perfect!

I just started it and like it run for about 10 mins. same thing happened. light above the tach stayed on the entire time, as soon as i put it drive to go around the corner, the light next to the temp came on. really dont know what to do know, really confused and kinda pissed off now.

im stationed in Vilseck and I bought the car from another soldier here on post.

Yeah, I know about the rain there. I was at Ramstein from 2006-2010 but I made very frequent trips down to the Graf/Vilseck area. We used the dropzone on graf for airdrops all the time.

Let me know what happens when you are able to disconnect the battary.

marezmichael 07-03-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97SupraTT (Post 96400)
Yeah, I know about the rain there. I was at Ramstein from 2006-2010 but I made very frequent trips down to the Graf/Vilseck area. We used the dropzone on graf for airdrops all the time.

Let me know what happens when you are able to disconnect the battary.

so what should i do if that doesn't work?!

marezmichael 07-03-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 96391)

ok, took the distro cap off, absolutely no water at all. wiped it off anyways, still no change.
disconnected the battery for over an hour and wiped down the terminal, still no change.

any other suggestions?!? or did i just mess up the electronics?!?

97SupraTT 07-03-2011 05:31 PM

I would say that we need to find out for sure what those warning lights are. If you cant tell then maybe someone else can get on here that knows or can look at their car or owner books. I dont have my car or books available right now to look at. You could also see if any codes come up.

marezmichael 07-03-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97SupraTT (Post 96405)
I would say that we need to find out for sure what those warning lights are. If you cant tell then maybe someone else can get on here that knows or can look at their car or owner books. I dont have my car or books available right now to look at. You could also see if any codes come up.

i know the one by the fuel and temp gauge is the ABS light.
as far as the other light is an ! with a triangle around it, thats about the tach

97SupraTT 07-03-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezmichael (Post 96406)
i know the one by the fuel and temp gauge is the ABS light.
as far as the other light is an ! with a triangle around it, thats about the tach

Well the light that you described sounds like a general coution light. My supra is in storage in the states (I didnt want to bring it to Guam) so I cant look at it. I bet if you checked for codes you would get something.

marezmichael 07-03-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97SupraTT (Post 96407)
Well the light that you described sounds like a general coution light. My supra is in storage in the states (I didnt want to bring it to Guam) so I cant look at it. I bet if you checked for codes you would get something.

thats what im going to look for when it stops raining. but, thanks for everything.

marezmichael 07-04-2011 09:03 AM

ok so. took distributor cap off, no water, dried it anyways. disconnected battery, wiped of terminals; nothing. waiting for night to start the engine to see if i could see sparks coming from any of the plugs, nothing. connected E1 & TE1 to run check, no check engine blinks; tried connecting them with the ignition on, and connected them with ignition off then turn on, nothing.

dont know what to do now. going go buy a new battery and see if thats the problem, doubt it but its worth a try.

if anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to share please!!?

pwpanas 07-04-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezmichael (Post 96416)
ok so. took distributor cap off, no water, dried it anyways. disconnected battery, wiped of terminals; nothing. waiting for night to start the engine to see if i could see sparks coming from any of the plugs, nothing. connected E1 & TE1 to run check, no check engine blinks; tried connecting them with the ignition on, and connected them with ignition off then turn on, nothing.

dont know what to do now. going go buy a new battery and see if thats the problem, doubt it but its worth a try.

if anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to share please!!?

It could be a vacuum leak. Perhaps your spraying in the engine bay dislodged a hose. Pressurize your intake to find the leak.

marezmichael 07-04-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 96417)
It could be a vacuum leak. Perhaps your spraying in the engine bay dislodged a hose. Pressurize your intake to find the leak.

ima noob, so how would i go about doing that?

pwpanas 07-04-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezmichael (Post 96418)
ima noob, so how would i go about doing that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL3jbcrqY8g

Some other options:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1fTSP8VHvA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CPqbaSgcok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6eEf...eature=related

marezmichael 07-04-2011 04:51 PM

my father told me to do the exact same thing.
i think it might be the distributor cap and the spark plug.

the plug in the middle of the distributor cap, the one that goes off other then the engine, is damaged. the i disconnected, the male portion was stuck inside still. so going to buy a new distro cap and plug. plus, try the spraying for the brake cleaner.

pwpanas 07-04-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezmichael (Post 96421)

the plug in the middle of the distributor cap, the one that goes off other then the engine, is damaged. the i disconnected, the male portion was stuck inside still. so going to buy a new distro cap and plug. plus, try the spraying for the brake cleaner.

Interesting. Glad I could get you pointed in the right direction. ;) Please keep us informed if that was the problem.

97SupraTT 07-05-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezmichael (Post 96421)

Whether that is causing this problem or not, I would defiantly suggest replacing those things before continuing. The washing of the engine bay may have just been coincidence or may have also gotten into the broken area and aggravated it. Like pwpanas said, keep us posted.

marezmichael 07-16-2011 06:10 PM

ok, so a mechanic here told me to either take everything apart or just drive through the problem.
I don't have the time, nor money to take the entire engine apart, so I just continued to drive through the problem, now no more rough idling. car runs as it did before.

thanks to everyone that tried to help, its greatly appreciated

97SupraTT 07-16-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezmichael (Post 96673)
ok, so a mechanic here told me to either take everything apart or just drive through the problem.
I don't have the time, nor money to take the entire engine apart, so I just continued to drive through the problem, now no more rough idling. car runs as it did before.

thanks to everyone that tried to help, its greatly appreciated

Thats odd. Did you end up changing the cap and wires? I wouldn't have seen a reason to take the engine apart anyhow.

marezmichael 07-17-2011 06:35 PM

before hand, no I did not.
i have recently changed the wire from the distro cap to the coilover i believe.

waiting on the new distro cap from the states to arrive..

also, would anyone know how to install a digital speedometer?!?

pwpanas 07-19-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezmichael (Post 96697)
...i have recently changed the wire from the distro cap to the coil...

Do you think it would be reasonable to conclude that wire was the source of the rough idle? ...at the very least, optimistically one could hope that is the case I'd suggest. Please let us know if that rough idle returns.

marezmichael 07-19-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 96727)
Do you think it would be reasonable to conclude that wire was the source of the rough idle? ...at the very least, optimistically one could hope that is the case I'd suggest. Please let us know if that rough idle returns.

I'm hoping that it was, but then again it could been that the engine electronics were just wet and over time dried off. but if it does continue, i'll re-post..

also, do you know how to install digital gauges? i just recently purchased Drift's digital speedo, tach, and fuel level gauges and hoping that I install them myself..

pwpanas 07-20-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezmichael (Post 96730)
I'm hoping that it was, but then again it could been that the engine electronics were just wet and over time dried off. but if it does continue, i'll re-post..

also, do you know how to install digital gauges? i just recently purchased Drift's digital speedo, tach, and fuel level gauges and hoping that I install them myself..

Maybe a silly question, but do the gauges come with install instructions? That, plus the TOE should get you started in the right direction.

priyesh12 01-18-2012 11:53 PM

I think i got answer

Just like you I washed my engine bay,

car ran fine when i started it, no issues but once i left the car running it begins to die. I checked my fuses and everything, and when it came down to the problem, it turned out that the alternator got wet and i ran it without it drying out properly. This burnt out the coils and hence the car would die randomly or loose power. I changed my alternator and everything works fine now. I hope this helps... sorry read that you solved the issue, I'm still sure it had to do with your alternator...

cheers

pwpanas 01-20-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priyesh12 (Post 100429)
Just like you I washed my engine bay,

car ran fine when i started it, no issues but once i left the car running it begins to die. I checked my fuses and everything, and when it came down to the problem, it turned out that the alternator got wet and i ran it without it drying out properly. This burnt out the coils and hence the car would die randomly or loose power. I changed my alternator and everything works fine now. I hope this helps... sorry read that you solved the issue, I'm still sure it had to do with your alternator...

cheers

Congratulations on getting your issue solved. Did you also have to replace your coils?

priyesh12 01-21-2012 08:04 AM

@pwpanas

Well I just replaced the entire unit, but once I opened the old alternator the coils were black so it was definitely the alternator coil that was causing the problem

pwpanas 01-21-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priyesh12 (Post 100459)
@pwpanas

Well I just replaced the entire unit, but once I opened the old alternator the coils were black so it was definitely the alternator coil that was causing the problem

Oh you meant alternator coils. Your previous post sounded like somehow the ignition coils had gotten burned out.

priyesh12 01-21-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 100460)
Oh you meant alternator coils. Your previous post sounded like somehow the ignition coils had gotten burned out.

Sorry for the confusion, yeah i meant the alternator coils. It was odd to have that give on me out of all the things that could go wrong from washing the engine bay. I was recommended to cover the alternator whenever you wash the engine bay :S, i guess it makes sense, although i have never heard of anyone doing that.