Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 06-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
tayman1975
Stock

tayman1975 is on a distinguished road
Default I bought this supra turbo and was wandering something.

The guy who had it cut the 2 wires off under the hood that come out of the boost control. Why would he have done this.
tayman1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
2jzmaestro
Stock

2jzmaestro is on a distinguished road

Tayman,

That's a very bizaare thing to do intentionally, perhaps someone wanted to avoid the perennial, classic mistake of mixing up the green wire with the red one so they cut them both? Seriously though, I cannot fathom why anyone would intenionally do that so there must have been a ham-fisted mechanic that inflicted the said damage onto your poor boost controller. Is there any other damage to the controller?

Last edited by 2jzmaestro; 06-07-2011 at 06:54 PM.
2jzmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #3
tayman1975
Stock

Default What do you mean by avoid the perenial.

either way this guy would owned it was an idiot. The sterio wiring harness was cut so short that i had to add wires onto it to hook up a deck to it. Then the stupid idiot cut the speaker wires on the back ones so short that he gave me 1 inch of speaker wire to play with in between the seats. i had to use a pair of pliers to hold it up so i could krimp up a butt connector to it. It took all day to fix the mess he made. have you ever heard of a high performance clutch ratting when the clutch is dissengaged. It sounds like the thowout bearing is f-cked. he told me the clutch makes that noise,(rattle). Is he right there. He also told me the engine is brand new and needs breaking in so he had the rev limiter set at 5000rpm. So now the car goes in on the 21st to get the rev limiter removed. Do you think something fishy is up with my supra i just got from this guy. I never heard of a rev limiter being set for a new build before. It's a good idea but never heard of it.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
gloreboy89
3" Exhaust

gloreboy89 is on a distinguished road
Default give the car back Get YOUR MONEY BACK ASAP

this guy sounds like he screwed the car up and he wanted to get rid of it. Anybody who would cut a simple audio wire to short is either an idot, or made a mistake and was to cheap to buy more wires. I believe that this engine might be new but the previous owner might have screwed put it together by himself and got in over his head and just did the bear minimum to get the car to run just to sell it.

what i'm saying is just my opinion but i at least suggest talking to the past owner about what kinda work was done on the car and who did this work.:
too lazy to find a funny quote, buuuutttt off the top of my head. "life always= how well you treat your car, put crap in ur car, then car breaks down, then miss important meeting, or work which just so happen u cant miss another day or ur fired... and end up with a crappy life.

driving an '88 supra
gloreboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
tayman1975
Stock

Default I tried to get my money back after a week but he won't give it back

Now tonight im having an issue with both headlights. The center lights come on only and the 2 outside ones and skinny little one next to it doesnt work anymore. Do you think it's the relay. I also found out when i ran new speaker wires the plastic on both sides of the car where the carpet is, is broken off. Now the carpet doesn't fit properly and has to be replaced completely. cruise doesn't work either. the guy had 800 dollar volk rims on it. They are all scratched to shit where you tighten the lug nuts. Im just gonna sell them now and buy new ones now. It has had 3 owners. i think it was the second owner who f-cked it up the most. the guy i bought it from bought it off of ebay. i seen what he paid for it. He paid $35000. When he got it the car wasn't even running. He sunk over $20 grand into to get it to run. it goes in for tuning on the 21st and i want all the receipts that he spent there to see whats going on with it. I jumped the gun to fast on it. He made this car sound so good. he said it's been parked for 4 years since he's owned it and he only put on 200 miles on it. i hope when it goes in to get the rev limiter removed and tuned it doesn't blow up on the dyno.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
gloreboy89
3" Exhaust

gloreboy89 is on a distinguished road

i believe they have lemon laws for cars like this dont sell anything or do anything to this car get your money back!!!! I can almost assure you that you should be able to get ur money back if you purchased the car within 30 days. From what i know there is no rev limiter on a car that old i think the manufacturer started that in the late 90's. start looking into the local law books or ask someone from the dmv if what rules apply to you.
too lazy to find a funny quote, buuuutttt off the top of my head. "life always= how well you treat your car, put crap in ur car, then car breaks down, then miss important meeting, or work which just so happen u cant miss another day or ur fired... and end up with a crappy life.

driving an '88 supra
gloreboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayman1975 View Post
The guy who had it cut the 2 wires off under the hood that come out of the boost control. Why would he have done this.
Gosh...before I respond to your question...I was just wondering: just where were you wandering?

Cutting the wires to the oem *wastegate actuator* (is that what you mean?) would likely throw an engine code. It may be an attempt at a quick and dirty way to disable the oem boost limit. *shrug*

I agree with your description - it was a bad 'hack'. I'd recommend repairing the damage.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-08-2011 at 03:33 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
tayman1975
Stock

Default reply

Somebody cut the wires off where the boost control is under the hood. I have a new boost controler being hooked up on the 21st for it. This place called RCTS in calgary alberta will be fixing it up. There supposed to be very good. have you guys ever heard of them.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayman1975 View Post
Somebody cut the wires off where the boost control is under the hood. I have a new boost controler being hooked up on the 21st for it. This place called RCTS in calgary alberta will be fixing it up. There supposed to be very good. have you guys ever heard of them.
The "R" in RCTS stands for Reg...as in Reg Reimer. He's a very experienced technician and roadracer. RCTS is probably the #1 Supra shop in all of Canada. Reg will take great care of your Supra.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote