Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 10-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #111
warmkop

warmkop is on a distinguished road
Default Need help making power 94tt

So the exhaust is done and the boost pipes wil put up some picks.
Started the car and had a oil leak almost thought it was the head gasket stripped the car today to find out it is the cam seal that is leaking dont know why.
I cant find new seals only seals toyota can get me is the 2jzge seals so my question is are the seals the same as the 2jzgte.
Also the tuner cant get the chip to pick up the rpm signal from the ecu so hopefully he can sort that out after i fix the oil leak.
warmkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #112
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmkop View Post
So the exhaust is done and the boost pipes wil put up some picks.
Started the car and had a oil leak almost thought it was the head gasket stripped the car today to find out it is the cam seal that is leaking dont know why.
I cant find new seals only seals toyota can get me is the 2jzge seals so my question is are the seals the same as the 2jzgte.
Also the tuner cant get the chip to pick up the rpm signal from the ecu so hopefully he can sort that out after i fix the oil leak.
The best way to tell is the part number. If it's the same, then it'll work. If they're different, chances are the 2jz-gte seals are (for example) engineered to hold in more crankcase pressure, or to be reliable over time when exposed to more heat. My advice is to definitely get the correct seals, even if you have to wait for them to come from Japan. In the meantime, put some cardboard under your car to catch the drips.

Are you still running stock cams? If not, aftermarket cams can be slightly further away from the magnetic pick-ups. Combine that with the reduced level of signal tolerance variations in aftermarket ECUs ('yota ECUs have very robust signal pick-up algorithms - that's one of the many reasons 'yota cars run reliably for 200K+ miles), that would explain the issue. I've heard of folks that have to shave the plastic in the magnetic pick-up to bring the sensor ever so slightly back towards the sensor 'finger(s)' on the cam.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-20-2012 at 03:19 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #113
warmkop

So the 2jzge cams seals is the same fitted them today looks like my oil leak is gone and for the cams, the cams is stock cams that has been regrind to 272 degree.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #114
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
So the 2jzge cams seals is the same fitted them today looks like my oil leak is gone and for the cams, the cams is stock cams that has been regrind to 272 degree.
Congratulations on getting the oil leak fixed.

Note: Reground cams aren't ideal for a turbo car. Higher lift is more important than longer duration.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #115
warmkop

The cams is regrinded to 272 with 9.2mm lift the valves has been made longer.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #116
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
The cams is regrinded to 272 with 9.2mm lift the valves has been made longer.
Good specs. I stand corrected.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #117
warmkop

So the car start but it has a miss i thought it was a dead plug so went today and bought new plugs but she is still missing will only be able to look for the fault tuesday,car is standing at the tuner.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #118
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
So the car start but it has a miss i thought it was a dead plug so went today and bought new plugs but she is still missing will only be able to look for the fault tuesday,car is standing at the tuner.
How old are your coilpacks?

Also, be sure you're not trying to *gap* platinum or iridium plugs. You will scratch the electrode (microscopic) even with a smooth gapping tool, and then the plug will be nearly useless after that.

What kind of plugs are you running? ...and (if copper) what gap?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #119
warmkop

It looks like same coil packs from the factory.
plugs is bosch iridiums from golf GTI 5 only ones i can find that is the same as the oem ones.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #120
warmkop

found the fault injector 2 wire pulled out of the plug.