Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 02-11-2011, 04:06 AM   #1
wcrispino
Stock

wcrispino is on a distinguished road
Unhappy water pump and timing belt

hey guys

At the moment Im trying to change the water pump and timing belt on my 93 na 3L 6cyl supra. The problem is to get to water pump I have to get main crankshaft pulley off. Does anyone know whether the bolt on the pulley is a right or left hand thread? Is there any other way of doing it without taking off crankshaft pulley?
Any comments would be appreciated
Cheers
wcrispino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrispino View Post
hey guys

At the moment Im trying to change the water pump and timing belt on my 93 na 3L 6cyl supra. The problem is to get to water pump I have to get main crankshaft pulley off. Does anyone know whether the bolt on the pulley is a right or left hand thread? Is there any other way of doing it without taking off crankshaft pulley?
Any comments would be appreciated
Cheers
It's regular right-hand thread...and nope, there's no other way; you'll have to take off that pulley.

Just curious...why do you ask? Are you having trouble getting it off?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-12-2011 at 02:54 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
wcrispino
Stock

Talking Crankshaft pulley

Thanks for the response pwanas, just wondering is there a special tool that can be used to get the pulley off. Tried to put a bar to try and crack nut off but is very very tight!!!
Any other advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Old 02-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the response pwanas, just wondering is there a special tool that can be used to get the pulley off. Tried to put a bar to try and crack nut off but is very very tight!!!
Any other advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
If you agree to post back here at every step of the way, I guarantee you we'll get it off.

One step at a time - right now, your problem is that you can't apply enough power to the bolt with the tools you have. The solution to that specific problem is that you simply need more leverage. You need to find/buy/beg/borrow/steal a long, strong pipe that fits the end of your pry bar. Put the pipe on, and push. With a long enough pipe, you could flip your car over, or tear the engine off the motor mounts. However, something else will happen first. For example, your clutch may slip (if you have a 5spd). Post back and tell us what happens next.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
wcrispino
Stock

Question Crankshaft pulley

Hey,
I made a special tool, I got a steel bar and welded the socket to the end of it. I then put a pipe at the end of that as well to get leverage. When we tried to pull on it, it started to bend the steel bar!! I have no idea why its so friggin tight. Is there anything else I can do!!!!?????
Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Hey,
I made a special tool, I got a steel bar and welded the socket to the end of it. I then put a pipe at the end of that as well to get leverage. When we tried to pull on it, it started to bend the steel bar!! I have no idea why its so friggin tight. Is there anything else I can do!!!!?????
Sound like you need a thicker/stronger, and possibly longer steel bar. Again, step 1 is to get enough power on it. After that depends on exactly what happens *when* (not if) you get it to turn. I guarantee 100% that if you get enough power on it, something will happen.

Hopefully you're using a six-sided impact-grade socket.

You are turning it counterclockwise, right? Sorry...I had to ask.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
wcrispino
Stock

Cool timing belt

Yeah turning it counter clockwise. Im going to try and get a bigger pipe to put on the socket and hopefully that will do it. Ill keep you updated on what happens.
Thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Yeah turning it counter clockwise. Im going to try and get a bigger pipe to put on the socket and hopefully that will do it. Ill keep you updated on what happens.
Thanks
Any news for us? When you get it to turn, it should either make the back wheels turn, make the clutch slip, or engine turn over...or the bolt will break free/loose. Which happened?

Oh, I recall another trick. If you're careful about which way the breaker bar is resting against the ground...very careful...you can use the starter to try to break the crank bolt free. It's kind of risky because if the breaker bar is resting the wrong way, it can do damage including (but not limited to) breaking your a/c lines.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-26-2011 at 04:58 PM.