Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 11-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
ausupra
Stock

ausupra is on a distinguished road
Default 2JZGTE Crank torque specs

Hey,

I'm about to pull the old girl to bits to do some fabrication, then I'll put her back together. I've been advised that the optimal torque for the crank is 15 ft/lb over standard but can't find standard torque specs for the life of me.

What is your crank torqued at? I have the ARP head/main studs.

Thanks
ausupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausupra View Post
Hey,

I'm about to pull the old girl to bits to do some fabrication, then I'll put her back together. I've been advised that the optimal torque for the crank is 15 ft/lb over standard but can't find standard torque specs for the life of me.

What is your crank torqued at? I have the ARP head/main studs.

Thanks
Do you have a TSRM? All the torque specs are in there. You shouldn't be pulling "the old girl to bits" and putting "her back together" without the TSRM.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:19 AM   #3
ausupra
Stock

Thanks for the reply.

I do have one, but couldn't find the torque specs - maybe something I missed...

I'll have another look.

But I also just wanted to get some feedback to see what others were doing, especially those who are pulling 1KHP+, as that's what I'm aiming for.

Have to do alot of the research myself here as it's not like in Oz/US where the workshop guys really know what they're doing - here it's a bit 'same pattern, all cars', they won't check to see your car needs something more.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I do have one, but couldn't find the torque specs - maybe something I missed...

I'll have another look.

But I also just wanted to get some feedback to see what others were doing, especially those who are pulling 1KHP+, as that's what I'm aiming for.

Have to do alot of the research myself here as it's not like in Oz/US where the workshop guys really know what they're doing - here it's a bit 'same pattern, all cars', they won't check to see your car needs something more.
I can check my TSRM to verify if you can't find it. Note that the oem shortblock - bone stock - is good for 1k hp...so the TSRM torque specs are plenty fine for that hp level.

By the way, which "crank torque spec"? The mains? The connecting rod bolts (crankshaft end)? The front harmonic dampener bolt? The rear flywheel/flex plate bolts? I'd guess you mean the mains, but please confirm.

Also, have you considered aftermarket mains?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
ausupra
Stock

Thanks again.

Yeah, I wanted the specs for the mains. I have got the Titan Billet Main caps, ARP head and main studs, Titan Billet Pistons, BC rods - I decided this was the year to finally get things going, but now that I've set the goal at a different level, it seems lots of the mechs I've gone to don't know how to take it to that level.

I have a mech working with me, he knows the assembly, but we were torquing it at 90lb/ft, which some people replied with a about, while some thought it was fine, and should even be torqued more. So, I thought I'd go back to basics and try to get the stock amount, and I had it recommended it to me that I go 15lb/ft over but I just couldn't find stock anywhere to have a number to go off and felt like I'd read the spots of the TSRM.

Thanks for any advice you could give. I've gone through 3 blocks now and am giving up!
Old 12-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Thanks again.

Yeah, I wanted the specs for the mains. I have got the Titan Billet Main caps, ARP head and main studs, Titan Billet Pistons, BC rods - I decided this was the year to finally get things going, but now that I've set the goal at a different level, it seems lots of the mechs I've gone to don't know how to take it to that level.

I have a mech working with me, he knows the assembly, but we were torquing it at 90lb/ft, which some people replied with a about, while some thought it was fine, and should even be torqued more. So, I thought I'd go back to basics and try to get the stock amount, and I had it recommended it to me that I go 15lb/ft over but I just couldn't find stock anywhere to have a number to go off and felt like I'd read the spots of the TSRM.

Thanks for any advice you could give. I've gone through 3 blocks now and am giving up!
Were you able to find the torque specs in the TSRM? If not, I'll dig mine up and look it up for you...