Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Timmeh
Stock

Timmeh is on a distinguished road
Default Suspension differences?

New guy here. Have a couple questions regarding mkIII & mkIV suspensions. Looking to start up a project car and need to know what the differences were between the mk3 and mk4 cars. Pros and cons of each as well. Are there any parts that were the same or even interchangeable between the two? Can mark IV parts be used on a mkIII and vice versa? Anything regarding suspension, handling, IRS components, brakes....etc... looking for every detail possible between the two!! Looking to build a car with the best parts possible! Thanks in advance!
~Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
ochowdero
12psi boost

ochowdero is on a distinguished road
Default bumpp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh View Post
looking for every detail possible between the two!! Looking to build a car with the best parts possible! Thanks in advance!
~Tim
the engine and transmission(tranny is versitile thru all supras as well as the cressida,solora, and lexus.) thats included the w58 r154 and another i cant think of..

the engine(1jz or 2jz[turbo model also]) i think are a bit or maybe even alot bigger, so youd have to customize your engine mounts and what have you..but i know that the 2jzt can fit in a mk2, but idk what modifications you have to do to the engine bay

nothing on the mk4, body wise, can go on the mk3, unless you mod it..
(like a common skyline r34 taillight mod for the mk3.)

suspension? - buy coil-overs or lowering springs with new struts made for the model of the car your building..

brakes? - cmon my dude.. brakes arent designed specifically for a car..if your looking for aftermarket like brembo then search for the model and get them.

components? - im not sure...i doubt it but you never know..

im sure others will post and correct me on brakes haha, but were all here to give you the best info..
keep postin

-chwdr, supra
ochowdero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Timmeh
Stock

Body style is not my main concern but the handling capabilities and strengths of suspensions in stock form. Certainly I will add aftermarket where needed, but I want to jump into the "right" Supra first. The engine is meaningless as I'll build something to suit my needs. I'm more concerned with the platform it sits on, (i.e. the suspension, IRS, brakes...) Sure, down the road I'll upgrade this and that, but I want to make sure that if I got say an mk3 that I'm not cornering myself when I should have gotten an mk4. I'm looking specifically at project cars ..and have even considered the mk2 cars but someone said to go to at least the mk3 for the better parts.

Last edited by Timmeh; 09-21-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
ochowdero
12psi boost

ochowdero is on a distinguished road

ok..
i love my mk3
i have an 87 supra n/a auto and i plann to convert it to manual and turbo it when i get the money..the stock suspension is amazing..i go into corners at a good 35-45 mph and no damage to them..(i lost my power steering Dx) so i recommend making sure your power steering is amazing hahha..

mk3 are more reliable when you rebuild it, there reliable even if you didnt rebuild it... toyota just makes good cars..

if you going for a cheap car to start rebuilding now get the mk3.. years are on your preference though.
mk4 for is expensive to even get the the car.. unless you find someone and are lucky enough to have it under 10,000.

like all mk2-3 lovers..there is really no difference..
mk4 will definately hold up n 850+ hp but i believe if you rebuild the mk3 alll over that it can withstand 850+

**EDIT*
aside of all that.. i wanna say that.. the platform it sits on is amazing if its in good condition, if not i recommend fixing it pronto (that goes for both mk3 and mk4)
..suspension, brakes, IRS, etc... all that, if you want amazing results with all those...then going aftermarket on all that will definately make it 10x more better.. but to answer your question.. mk4 is alil stronger, but mk3 is definately reliable.. its all on your preference..

Last edited by ochowdero; 09-21-2010 at 10:12 PM.
ochowdero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Body style is not my main concern but the handling capabilities and strengths of suspensions in stock form. Certainly I will add aftermarket where needed, but I want to jump into the "right" Supra first. The engine is meaningless as I'll build something to suit my needs. I'm more concerned with the platform it sits on, (i.e. the suspension, IRS, brakes...) Sure, down the road I'll upgrade this and that, but I want to make sure that if I got say an mk3 that I'm not cornering myself when I should have gotten an mk4. I'm looking specifically at project cars ..and have even considered the mk2 cars but someone said to go to at least the mk3 for the better parts.
If you want a 1000hp-capable engine, tranny, and diff...right 'out of the box' (bone-stock), then go with an mk4 6spd. Of course, this will highly capable 'base' will cost you quite a bit over an mk3.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Timmeh
Stock

Hmm, good info to chew on! Thanks guys! Looks like I may be leaning for an MKIII. I do know the 6 speed manuals only came in the MKIV's. IF I'm lucky enough to come across one for a decent price will I'll go that route for a trans, though for now I'm good with a 5 speed. Thanks again guys!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Hmm, good info to chew on! Thanks guys! Looks like I may be leaning for an MKIII. I do know the 6 speed manuals only came in the MKIV's. IF I'm lucky enough to come across one for a decent price will I'll go that route for a trans, though for now I'm good with a 5 speed. Thanks again guys!
Again, it's not just the 6spd that's 1000hp+ capable, bone-stock...it's the entire Mkiv TT driveline (i.e. engine, and diff too - bone stock).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:44 AM   #8
Timmeh
Stock

Ideally yes I do want the manual 6 speed for my application but I won't be needing the motor for what I have in mind.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Ideally yes I do want the manual 6 speed for my application but I won't be needing the motor for what I have in mind.
Why not? The 1000hp+ capable 2jz-gte is one of the best parts of the Mkiv Supra Turbo!!! Almost any other engine would be a downgrade, imho.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
Timmeh
Stock

Not sure if this is considered blasphemy here or not, but judging from some of the other threads I've seen here I think it's safe so I'll risk it lol.... Supra suspension and the drive-train minus the engine are going into a Muscle car with a twin turbo small block. I want to keep the car looking like American muscle but be able to whoop the crap out of other rides, on a budget. Most people would never expect my car to handle as well as it will.

Last edited by Timmeh; 09-25-2010 at 09:59 PM.