Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIV Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/)
-   -   Clutch/Transmission problem (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/16728-clutch-transmission-problem.html)

mrgdm007 04-29-2010 03:41 AM

OK thank you very much for the insight :bigthumb:

mrgdm007 05-01-2010 01:44 AM

shortening the clutch line

Hey so I tried to shorting the clutch rod like you described, I got the nut unscrewed but I could not twist the part behind it, I tried using a 14mm wrench and it wouldnt budge but I didnt wanna keep trying and break it off so I just left it where it was.

pwpanas 05-01-2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgdm007 (Post 82292)
Hey so I tried to shorting the clutch rod like you described, I got the nut unscrewed but I could not twist the part behind it, I tried using a 14mm wrench and it wouldnt budge but I didnt wanna keep trying and break it off so I just left it where it was.

You need to twist the small rod - it's only about 3/16ths thick... just spin it with your fingers.

mrgdm007 05-02-2010 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 82294)
You need to twist the small rod - it's only about 3/16ths thick... just spin it with your fingers.

haha ok that helps alot lol thanks

mrgdm007 05-04-2010 10:13 PM

Ok so I did it and it didnt help at all so its either the clutch or flywheel, Il find out Thursday or Friday. I am also changing out all my oil in the engine, tranny, and diff, what would you suggest I get for these, along with what filter has worked best, I was always fond of K&N but I heard that they can sometime keep your oil pressure too low, Just let me know what you think, I was thinking about doing mobil 1 for the engine and royal purple for the tranny, and either of those two for the diff. I was going to put 10w30 in as well but the last dealership put 5w30 in, what are your thoughts on that. Thanks in advance

pwpanas 05-05-2010 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgdm007 (Post 82406)
Ok so I did it and it didnt help at all so its either the clutch or flywheel, Il find out Thursday or Friday. I am also changing out all my oil in the engine, tranny, and diff, what would you suggest I get for these, along with what filter has worked best, I was always fond of K&N but I heard that they can sometime keep your oil pressure too low, Just let me know what you think, I was thinking about doing mobil 1 for the engine and royal purple for the tranny, and either of those two for the diff. I was going to put 10w30 in as well but the last dealership put 5w30 in, what are your thoughts on that. Thanks in advance

Engine oil, anything full synthetic (10W30 only!)
6spd: Royal Purple Synchromax
Diff: Redline Shockproof Heavy
Air filter: K&N
Oil filter: TRD (Purolator is okay)

mrgdm007 05-11-2010 07:21 AM

update on the transmission problem

Ok so I found a toyota master mechanic that has experience with supras and the 6 speed. He said that there is a chance that either the dealership that I bought it from didnt put the clutch/pressure plate, they installed the flywheel improperly, a bad throwout bearing, as well as many other things or even it could even be the gear box because the metallic clunking noise I hear when I push in the clutch only happens when I am driving and not when I am sitting in neutral:crazy2: . So I told them to go ahead and take out the transmission, the mechanic was actually a really cool guy, and even when the service manager walked away the guy was really cool and helpful, not like any other lexus or toyota dealership ive ever worked with, the manager was really cool too! The guy before I even paid for anything or asked to pull the transmission, the mechanic was looking of gear boxes and transmissions, where he could get them from and how long it would take to get each one with a price, which was really cool. I decided to get the fidanza flywheel and am replacing the slave cylinder and master cylinder while im doing all this work too. Il give you an update on what my situation is as I get more info.

pwpanas 05-11-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgdm007 (Post 82788)
Ok so I found a toyota master mechanic that has experience with supras and the 6 speed. He said that there is a chance that either the dealership that I bought it from didnt put the clutch/pressure plate, they installed the flywheel improperly, a bad throwout bearing, as well as many other things or even it could even be the gear box because the metallic clunking noise I hear when I push in the clutch only happens when I am driving and not when I am sitting in neutral:crazy2: . So I told them to go ahead and take out the transmission, the mechanic was actually a really cool guy, and even when the service manager walked away the guy was really cool and helpful, not like any other lexus or toyota dealership ive ever worked with, the manager was really cool too! The guy before I even paid for anything or asked to pull the transmission, the mechanic was looking of gear boxes and transmissions, where he could get them from and how long it would take to get each one with a price, which was really cool. I decided to get the fidanza flywheel and am replacing the slave cylinder and master cylinder while im doing all this work too. Il give you an update on what my situation is as I get more info.

Are you sure you need a new clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder? It's very rare for either of those to go bad...

mrgdm007 05-11-2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 82789)
Are you sure you need a new clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder? It's very rare for either of those to go bad...

I cant remember which one the mechanic said but he said since he was taking out the tranny he suggested I might replace the slave cylinder, and he said if I look to get an aftermarket pressure plate or clutch that it would handle the extra pressure, so I would just get it out of the way now

pwpanas 05-11-2010 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrgdm007 (Post 82790)
I cant remember which one the mechanic said but he said since he was taking out the tranny he suggested I might replace the slave cylinder, and he said if I look to get an aftermarket pressure plate or clutch that it would handle the extra pressure, so I would just get it out of the way now

First rule of maintenance - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. *shrug* To me, that's strike one against this 'mechanic'.

P.S. I've seen the mount point for the clutch fork get broken in the past, and could fit with your description of symptoms. This problem can be verified via the inspection port (i.e. without transmission removal).