Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
stluciaboi
Stock

stluciaboi is on a distinguished road
Default V8 MKIV Supra from Saint Lucia.KHAOS!

Link from the original forum.
http://lucianriders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=559
Feel free to join the forum as well. 1.
Enjoy!

Last edited by stluciaboi; 01-19-2010 at 06:58 AM.
stluciaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stluciaboi View Post
Link from the original forum.
http://lucianriders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=559
Feel free to join the forum as well. 1.
Enjoy!
Thank you for the link.

As you might have guessed, you've posted on a forum full of 'Supra biggots' (speaking primarily for myself, if not more). I hope you don't mind if I provide some honest feedback from myself personally on that v8 Supra project documented on the other forum:
  1. Several Mkiv Supras are in the low 8s (full weight!), and even a few in the 7s using the mighty inline-six 2jz-gte.
  2. The 2jz-gte's in these low 8s Mkiv Supras typically put out 1400rwhp+
  3. I absolutely do not understand why there's any appeal at all to "600hp without the help of boost" Exactly what does "without the help of boost" buy you, other than the excess weight and poor fuel efficiency of a much bigger, inherently unbalanced v8 block to lug around?
  4. With only 900hp (600 motor + 300 nos = 900 total), even gutted and back-halved the way it is, I doubt that v8 Mkiv will do better than high 7s.
So given those points, I find myself struggling to determine a point to that whole project. To be totally honest with you, I feel it would be far more appropriate to put a 2jz-gte into a 'vette or 'stang or viper chassis. Really!

Please explain...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-19-2010 at 09:28 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
stluciaboi
Stock

stluciaboi is on a distinguished road

i'm not the owner of this car but as they stated on the forum i think the reason for goin the V8 way was because of cost which i totally understand since this was done basically in someones backyard. also the builder has experience with other V8 engines so it was just the easier way to go.
stluciaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stluciaboi View Post
i'm not the owner of this car but as they stated on the forum i think the reason for goin the V8 way was because of cost which i totally understand since this was done basically in someones backyard. also the builder has experience with other V8 engines so it was just the easier way to go.
I appreciate the additional info, but to me it still doesn't make sense. A bone-stock 2jz-gte bottom end is good for 1000hp. Why not just stick with that, and not worry about needing any engine internals expertise, or the expense of aftermarket parts (even v8 aftermarket race internals aren't cheap - nothing like a Toyota engine bone-stock parts anyway)?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
bambuko
Stock

bambuko is on a distinguished road

I'd have to agree with the 2JZ being more than ample for drag racing.

If I was to do an aggressive weight reduction campaign, I think I'd prefer a NA V8 on a road course, though.
bambuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambuko View Post
I'd have to agree with the 2JZ being more than ample for drag racing.

If I was to do an aggressive weight reduction campaign, I think I'd prefer a NA V8 on a road course, though.
Are you sure a v8 would weigh less than a 3L inline 6 with a 61mm single turbo?

Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 AM   #7
bambuko
Stock

No, it would likely be heavier. No argument there. However, if I was trying to lighten the Supra to offset that weight gain, the added torque is well worth it in my opinion. Of course, you'd have to do serious weight reduction, I'm not talking about swapping the battery, wheels and seats =)

The super GT Supra utilized the V8 in the later years of its racing career. The hybrid one currently does as well. It's all about blasting that torque coming out of corners

Anywhoo, just my two cents.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:44 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
No, it would likely be heavier. No argument there. However, if I was trying to lighten the Supra to offset that weight gain, the added torque is well worth it in my opinion. Of course, you'd have to do serious weight reduction, I'm not talking about swapping the battery, wheels and seats =)

The super GT Supra utilized the V8 in the later years of its racing career. The hybrid one currently does as well. It's all about blasting that torque coming out of corners

Anywhoo, just my two cents.
Common misconception: turbos build plenty of torque.

Where I can agree with you is that turbos bring that torque on less consistenly/predictably than n/a. That predictability is desireable when you're at the bleeding edge of traction coming out of a corner.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
bambuko
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Common misconception: turbos build plenty of torque.

Where I can agree with you is that turbos bring that torque on less consistenly/predictably than n/a. That predictability is desireable when you're at the bleeding edge of traction coming out of a corner.
Yep exactly. Not only do V8s build torque more predictably, but they do build it faster. It's instant, which is what you want. Turbos can certainly out torque V8s (and do so very frequently), but even small ball bearing turbos need an instant to build that torque.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:46 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Yep exactly. Not only do V8s build torque more predictably, but they do build it faster. It's instant, which is what you want. Turbos can certainly out torque V8s (and do so very frequently), but even small ball bearing turbos need an instant to build that torque.
Actually v8s don't necessarily build torque faster...at higher rpms, turbos can spool almost instantly. In fact, the only reason turbos aren't roadraced much is because that instant torque-boost can (and does) actually come on instantly (albeit unpredictably) mid rpms...and that unpredictable instant torque-boost does cause traction loss mid-corner.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-30-2010 at 05:40 AM.