Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
driver.111
Stock

driver.111 is on a distinguished road
Default The cost to purchase and modify a supra

Hello. I could not find the answer to this question in any other thread. I was wondering what the cost would be approximately to modify an MKIV supra to say 1000whp? It appears as though the cost could be in excess of 50k. This estimate seems off though. I realise that suspension,engine,drivetrain, and transmission mods would have to be made, but how costly could such a project actually be? Furthermore, the base price of '94-'98 supra turbo's seem to fluxuate between 20k and 60k+. I'm not nececarrily in the market for a supra though I'm curious as to why the asking price is so broad (I realise condition and miles play a large factor). Any replies would be helpful. Thanks.
driver.111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver.111 View Post
Hello. I could not find the answer to this question in any other thread. I was wondering what the cost would be approximately to modify an MKIV supra to say 1000whp? It appears as though the cost could be in excess of 50k. This estimate seems off though. I realise that suspension,engine,drivetrain, and transmission mods would have to be made, but how costly could such a project actually be? Furthermore, the base price of '94-'98 supra turbo's seem to fluxuate between 20k and 60k+. I'm not nececarrily in the market for a supra though I'm curious as to why the asking price is so broad (I realise condition and miles play a large factor). Any replies would be helpful. Thanks.
Did you read this thread?
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...1000-rwhp.html
...and this one?
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...ond-supra.html

The large price fluctuation for the Mkiv TT is due to:
1) Mileage & condition (a very few still! have less than 20K miles and are in showroom condition)
2) Rarity (eg. Quicksilver 6spd)

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
driver.111
Stock

Thanks for answering my question. Using your estimates it appears that without an SP400 transmission upgrade, the price to reach say 900-1000whp is 30-35k(w/o installation cost). Is that an accurate representation of the cost to heavily tune a supra. Furthermore, it appears as though only C-16 can be used to power such a high HP car. Seeing as though 116-117 octane fuel isn't sold at most fill-up shops, wouldnt it be difficult or impossible to travel long distances in a supra? Likewise, could boring out the engine to say 3.4L make any difference.

Would you say that it would be more or less expensive to tune other vehicles (Evo,mustang,etc.) to the same HP of an MKIV supra?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Thanks for answering my question. Using your estimates it appears that without an SP400 transmission upgrade, the price to reach say 900-1000whp is 30-35k(w/o installation cost). Is that an accurate representation of the cost to heavily tune a supra. Furthermore, it appears as though only C-16 can be used to power such a high HP car. Seeing as though 116-117 octane fuel isn't sold at most fill-up shops, wouldnt it be difficult or impossible to travel long distances in a supra? Likewise, could boring out the engine to say 3.4L make any difference.

Would you say that it would be more or less expensive to tune other vehicles (Evo,mustang,etc.) to the same HP of an MKIV supra?
For 1000whp with a 3.0L engine, you'll need something other than pump gas.

As long as you aren't planning to actually use that 1000hp during long distance rides, they can be done with pump gas.

Boring the engine to 3.4L could reduce the octane requirements slightly, but even 10 cylinder Vipers run race fuel at that hp level.

Evo no...but if you want to go fast in a straight line (only), nothing's cheaper to mod than a mustang. If you want to turn corners fast too, that's another story.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 11-24-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
james123
Stock

james123 is on a distinguished road

thanks for nice info...i really liked the info
Old 11-25-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
driver.111
Stock

So was my 35K estimate accurate? Also, you mention the fact that mustangs are more easily modified than supras. If, for instance, a 675whp Supra and a 700whp mustang raced in a 1 mile straight line, wouldn't the supra win due to its light weight (compared to a mustang at least)? Or would pure horsepower prevail. This is a hypothetical situation so their is no "true" answer. For 1/4 mile races and "highway pulls" alike, would mustangs be better performers?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
So was my 35K estimate accurate? Also, you mention the fact that mustangs are more easily modified than supras. If, for instance, a 675whp Supra and a 700whp mustang raced in a 1 mile straight line, wouldn't the supra win due to its light weight (compared to a mustang at least)? Or would pure horsepower prevail. This is a hypothetical situation so their is no "true" answer. For 1/4 mile races and "highway pulls" alike, would mustangs be better performers?
I'm sorry to say there are waaaay too many variables for me to say with certainty that $35K is either too much or too little. It's probably 'in the ballpark', depending on whether you get new or used parts, and whether or not you're willing to put in the time to learn how to properly do your own labor.

Imho, most likely the Supra would win in a 1 mile race with similar HP, because of lower aerodynamic drag, better top-end gearing, and the fact that turbos perform better on the top end. For 1/4 mile races, mustangs usually have the edge (but not always!). From a roll, Supras usually have the edge...

Old 11-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
jones123
Stock

jones123 is on a distinguished road

its an nice stuff...i really liked that....thanks.....