Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:39 PM   #31
Greglatta
Intake

Greglatta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3pz
not hating on domestics but all people do to them really is exhaust, intake, and a supercharger. you see mustangs all around also, why is that? they are cheap, not bad, but cheap. they have potential just like any car, add a little money, boom you got ### horsepower. but personally i think if you go dollar to dollar, pony to pony, imports will get down the street/track first...depending on the driver of course
saleen is domestic is it not? does it really matter if its domestic or not isnt it the amount of money the company invests to make the car? think about how much ferrari invests into each car, thats why they are so highly regarded as being the best of the best the name says it honestly would you rather have a hyundai that posts the same numbers as a ferrari at the same price?
Old 01-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #32
Greglatta
Intake

Greglatta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3pz
not hating on domestics but all people do to them really is exhaust, intake, and a supercharger. you see mustangs all around also, why is that? they are cheap, not bad, but cheap. they have potential just like any car, add a little money, boom you got ### horsepower. but personally i think if you go dollar to dollar, pony to pony, imports will get down the street/track first...depending on the driver of course
pony to pony? haha id rather have the 500hp new c6 zo6 then a 500hp supra, the suprs would cost around the same and it wouldnt handle as well and the cars balance wasnt meant for 500hp. Honestly why compare cars anymore they all had their purpose.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:35 PM   #33
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

well comparing modified cars is a waste of time too. stock is really the only benchmark. i can get an 88 dodge daytona with a 2.2 turbo and have it running 11s for way less money than either car....this is all just a matter of opinion. I say if you dont own/ have raced/have owned the car...dont say anything about how fast it is. for example...i have an 88 n/a. itll beat a 91 v6 mustang.... haha.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #34
ShAuN
Stock

ShAuN is on a distinguished road

If it was Stock VS Stock from a stop a Cobra would win. Supras dont launch as well, they do they just dont hook up. The 1/4 times are better for a Cobra is like .4 tenths faster too. In my opinion a Cobra would beat a Supra, not by much but it would win. As far as a 3kGT a Cobra would win. Heres what I have:

2003 Ford Mustang Cobra:
0-60 time = 4.5 seconds
1/4 Mile time = 12.9 seconds

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4:
0-60 time = 4.8
1/4 mile time = 13.6

1993 Toyota Supra TT:
0-60 time = 4.6
1/4 mile time = 13.1

On the site were I got my info, it shows the 1996-1998 Supras 0-60 and 1/4 time slower? Thats wierd. Im guessing the best the got in a Supra was 4.6 and 1/4 mile time probally 13 flat.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:24 PM   #35
TONY!
12psi boost

TONY! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicStick
Hey Supra owners, over at SVTPerformance.com we have some idiots. They claim that a stock 03-04 Cobra could dust a MKIV Supra TT and a 3000 GT VR4. What do you guys think about these comments.
What kind of racing are you talking about?
Should I assume that you are talking about the quarter mile?
Seems that so many compare cars by the quarter mile, and end up judging the car primarily for that!
Supras were NOT primarily intended for the quarter mile.
The designers spent more time considering handling & road racing more than drag racing, than what US manufacturers consider.
Over here in the states, people are obsessed with drag racing.
We really have to open our eyes and realize that foreigners are more into road racing than we are, and design their cars more for that purpose.

I really don’t think it is fair at all to compare a car like a Supra to a Mustang because they were designed for different things.
It would be like comparing a Hayabusa to a road racer meant for the track, or a road racer to a dirt bike.
Just like for the Ferraris: they are not designed for drag racing, but for open roads.
Evaluating a Ferrari primarily on its drag performance is to not appreciate what the car was intended for!
Same goes for the Supra.

In my honest opinion for drag racing, I think that one would be best off getting a motor with more cylinders, more displacement, and modding that along with adding a twin turbos (one for each head of course).
You have to admit, a 6.6L car with twin turbos is going to produce enough torque to wheelie the car, if highly modded.

I just think that the best feature of the Supras (especially the MKIV!) is their ability to go though twisty roads, and unfortunately, many don't seem to appreciate its best feature

Last edited by TONY!; 01-18-2006 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Fixed a couple of typos.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:52 AM   #36
Isphius
500whp yet?

Well i think the reason a lot of people all over compare drag racing is becuase its probably the only standard race recognized for the most part around the world. not everyone has the chance to run their car on the nurburgring or at daytona international, but you can easily take it to a drag strip and get an accurate time. I do agree that the supras werent meant for drag racing tho. Those mk4 supras are very sticky, and i know for a fact that it would beat a mustang on a road track, if the power/weight was about the same. And that americans are biased. I dont really like americans anyway(yes i am one) In my opinion, what matters most is how fun the car is. you cant run someone in a quarter mile and go 100 in everyday situations. And feeling the torque from a big block and the rush feeling of a turbo winding up are both pretty awesome.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:02 AM   #37
Isphius
500whp yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jpowered
"The new C6 z06 is a monster." "We are gonna need that new supra super car now to keep up on the track. The mkiv is outdated. I own a supra so Im not taking sides. The new vette isnt anything like its predecessor. Its a killer."

I dont think any car company can really keep up wit hthe corvette at this point. GM has so much dam money that they can spend 2 million dollars engineering a brake line better and cheaper than anyone else, and thats why they can make that car badass and still cheap. that takes a lot of money. Im sure toyota could if they were set on it, im sure theve got quite a bit of money too. Id like to see one of the newer toyota v8s in the supra, same getrag transmission, but all new car. lighter would help too. the zo6 is 500hp and 3100lbs, need at least that lol.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:11 AM   #38
spoonfed
Stock

spoonfed is on a distinguished road

if you ask me PUSSTanGS are for women and gay men!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #39
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isphius
I dont think any car company can really keep up wit hthe corvette at this point. GM has so much dam money that they can spend 2 million dollars engineering a brake line better and cheaper than anyone else, and thats why they can make that car badass and still cheap. that takes a lot of money.
I'm pretty sure the C6 Z06 sells for about $75K or so. Fwiw, that's not what I'd call "cheap" unless you're comparing it to an Enzo...

Quote:
...Id like to see one of the newer toyota v8s in the supra...
Why? Imho, they should stick to the 1000hp-capable 2jz-gte. All it needs is a bigger set of fully sequential twin turbos, and an oem meth+H2O injection system, to put out 600 very reliable horsepower.

Quote:
...same getrag transmission, but all new car. lighter would help too. the zo6 is 500hp and 3100lbs, need at least that lol.
Agreed 100%

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-20-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #40
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY!
What kind of racing are you talking about?
Should I assume that you are talking about the quarter mile?
Seems that so many compare cars by the quarter mile, and end up judging the car primarily for that!
Supras were NOT primarily intended for the quarter mile.
The designers spent more time considering handling & road racing more than drag racing, than what US manufacturers consider.
Over here in the states, people are obsessed with drag racing.
We really have to open our eyes and realize that foreigners are more into road racing than we are, and design their cars more for that purpose.

I really don’t think it is fair at all to compare a car like a Supra to a Mustang because they were designed for different things.
It would be like comparing a Hayabusa to a road racer meant for the track, or a road racer to a dirt bike.
Just like for the Ferraris: they are not designed for drag racing, but for open roads.
Evaluating a Ferrari primarily on its drag performance is to not appreciate what the car was intended for!
Same goes for the Supra.

In my honest opinion for drag racing, I think that one would be best off getting a motor with more cylinders, more displacement, and modding that along with adding a twin turbos (one for each head of course).
You have to admit, a 6.6L car with twin turbos is going to produce enough torque to wheelie the car, if highly modded.

I just think that the best feature of the Supras (especially the MKIV!) is their ability to go though twisty roads, and unfortunately, many don't seem to appreciate its best feature
Great post!

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Closed Thread