Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 06-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
Durandal
Intake

Durandal is on a distinguished road
Default Help upgrading JDM to BPU

So after having my supra for a year, I want to take it to BPU. It is currently stock with a lowered bilstein suspension, fujitsubo exhaust and turbo timer. Does anyone have experience with going BPU with a JDM because I have heard some parts don't work on JDM. Is the following all I need as far as parts?

HKS Speed Delimiter
TRD speedo
Cold Air intake
Hard pipes
upgraded temp sensor
wider rims and tires
bigger brakes

Any help appreciated! Thanks
Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
So after having my supra for a year, I want to take it to BPU. It is currently stock with a lowered bilstein suspension, fujitsubo exhaust and turbo timer. Does anyone have experience with going BPU with a JDM because I have heard some parts don't work on JDM. Is the following all I need as far as parts?

HKS Speed Delimiter
TRD speedo
Cold Air intake
Hard pipes
upgraded temp sensor
wider rims and tires
bigger brakes

Any help appreciated! Thanks
No speedo necessary for BPU. No cold air intake necessary for BPU. No hard pipes necessary for bpu. Bigger brakes not necessary for bpu.

You will need:
- A way to limit fuel cut (in the us-spec, this is done with a GReddy BCC)
- A downpipe to eliminate the oem catalytic converter
- a way to raise the boost (the clamp-mod should work just fine).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Durandal
Intake

I need the speedo cause the stock one only goes to 180 km/h and after moving the 180 km/h speed limiter I will want to know how fast I am going above that. I agree with your reply although apparently the stock JDM fuel pump should be upgraded to a 255. The stock brakes were designed for 180km/h max I'm pretty sure so I want to go bigger for some more stopping power. I can't remember if theres a downpipe on it I will need to check.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Durandal
Intake

Ok so now I'm sitting with the option of going with

Greddy BCC
HKS Speed Defender
Aftermarker electronic boost controller

or

MAP ECU-2

Since my car is JDM and comes with a MAP sensor instead of MAF, it becomes a lot easier to install a MAP ECU-2

With either setup I am going to put a Greddy electronic boost gauge where the OEM clock is and replace the OEM 180km Speedo with a TRD 320km one.

My biggest concern with going with a speed cut defender is that it tricks the ECU into thinking that you aren't going over limited speed where as the other method, the ECU knows how fast you are going and doesn't care.

Does anyone have any comments with which setup to go with.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Ok so now I'm sitting with the option of going with

Greddy BCC
HKS Speed Defender
Aftermarker electronic boost controller

or

MAP ECU-2

Since my car is JDM and comes with a MAP sensor instead of MAF, it becomes a lot easier to install a MAP ECU-2

With either setup I am going to put a Greddy electronic boost gauge where the OEM clock is and replace the OEM 180km Speedo with a TRD 320km one.

My biggest concern with going with a speed cut defender is that it tricks the ECU into thinking that you aren't going over limited speed where as the other method, the ECU knows how fast you are going and doesn't care.

Does anyone have any comments with which setup to go with.
With the US-spec, pulling the trac fuse also elminates speed cut. Unfortunately I don't have personal, first-hand experience using the HKS speed defender. There's a bit more info on this topic here:
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/techo.htm#SPEED_LIMITER

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-06-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
RZ-rix
Stock

RZ-rix is on a distinguished road
Default JDM Supra

Hiyas I also have a JDM 94 Supra , my recent mods are full 4inch custom exhaust , TRD speedo , c's short shifter , open air filter , race seats, aem tru boost controller , aem air fuel wide band gauge, K-sport 36way adj-coilovers.

Havent been able to install the AEM Tru boost controller since I don't know how to.

Supra runs very strong and fast.

As for the speed limiter , Ive just unpluged the trac fuse. works well , although you will get the trac light blinking all the time..

Let me know what brakes you decide on , I'm interested in upgrading mine to a big brake package, but I'm not sure if I'l have to upgrade the master also..
RZ-rix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Durandal
Intake

I installed a Greddy Emanage Ultimate and used it to remove the speed limiter and the boost cut. It also gave me a good platform to tune with if I want to add in some custom maps. I have a Tanabe 3" downpipe which I haven't installed yet. A Innovate Motorsports wideband which I haven't installed yet and a blitz SD boost meter which is installed and works great.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
RZ-rix
Stock

RZ-rix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I installed a Greddy Emanage Ultimate and used it to remove the speed limiter and the boost cut. It also gave me a good platform to tune with if I want to add in some custom maps. I have a Tanabe 3" downpipe which I haven't installed yet. A Innovate Motorsports wideband which I haven't installed yet and a blitz SD boost meter which is installed and works great.

Sounds great , is the Greddy Emanage Ultimate good for tuning supras with big single turbo upgrades also??
RZ-rix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:52 AM   #9
Durandal
Intake

I don't know, but you could probably find out on the euro supra forums, it is more popular there.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZ-rix View Post
Sounds great , is the Greddy Emanage Ultimate good for tuning supras with big single turbo upgrades also??
It'll work, best suited for mid-size (67mm-72mm) turbo upgrades, not big ones (76mm-90mm).