Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
bad.boy
Stock

bad.boy is on a distinguished road
Talking i want some answers plz :D:D

hey my friends i hope u all fine

my question is how mutch it costs to rebuild a 2jz gte engine and convert it to a single turbo??? in us $
bad.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.boy View Post
hey my friends i hope u all fine

my question is how mutch it costs to rebuild a 2jz gte engine and convert it to a single turbo??? in us $
If all you want is a guess (with no other info that what you've already provided), then my guess is $4500+ for the rebuild+parts (including machine shop labor), and then $5K for the single turbo conversion. Add in another $2500 or so if you need someone to install it all for you.

I'm assuming you want premium or near-premium parts in the rebuild (eg. really good connecting rods, pistons, valvetrain, etc.). I'm also assuming you're starting with a good, or nearly-good 2jz-gte.

If you don't mind some questions in return:
1) Is the engine already blown? If so, how did it happen?
2) What is your horsepower goal?
3) What is your application (roadrace, drift, daily driver, drag, autocross, etc.)?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-05-2009 at 01:36 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
bad.boy
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
If you don't mind some questions in return:
1) Is the engine already blown? If so, how did it happen?
2) What is your horsepower goal?
3) What is your application (roadrace, drift, daily driver, drag, autocross, etc.)?
the engine is fine and has an 80k miles on it

my hp goal is 650 horsepower max

and i want it for daily driver
Old 01-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
the engine is fine and has an 80k miles on it

my hp goal is 650 horsepower max

and i want it for daily driver
If the engine is fine, it'll handle 850rwhp without a rebuild (assuming proper tuning and race fuel) after your single turbo (plus fuel) upgrade. What on earth do you need the price of a rebuilt engine, with a goal of only 650hp at the crank??

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-05-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
bad.boy
Stock

Quote:
If the engine is fine, it'll handle 850rwhp without a rebuild (assuming proper tuning and race fuel) after your single turbo (plus fuel) upgrade. What on earth do you need the price of a rebuilt engine, with a goal of only 650hp at the crank??
ok now i got it

i want to make my supra go around 650 hp on a regular fuel not race fuel or anything else and i want to go for that level of horse power easy what do i need?
and what is the cost

and iam sorry for bugging u but iam new on the supra world so i need a help
Old 01-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
ok now i got it

i want to make my supra go around 650 hp on a regular fuel not race fuel or anything else and i want to go for that level of horse power easy what do i need?
and what is the cost

and iam sorry for bugging u but iam new on the supra world so i need a help
If you want a workable setup, 650rwhp, or even 650 at the crank on regular fuel isn't practical with the mkiv's 3.0L (183ci) engine.

Will you be running an auto or a 6spd?

Also, would you consider running alcohol(i.e. meth)+water injection? If so, then we can get you 650rwhp on pump gas through a 6spd.

Note: You could get 650rwhp on pump gas by using a huge turbo, but the lag would be absolutely intolerable. You'd also have a very hard time regulating boost to absolutely limit the turbo's boost so it wouldn't damage the engine.

In any/all of the cases I mentioned here, you don't need to build the engine. If you detonate by running too much boost on pump gas, it'll destroy oem internals or aftermarket internals equally fast. By running the correct octane of fuel to match your boost level, and with proper tuning, you can reliably and repeatedly make 1000hp at the crank using a bone-stock 2jz-gte bottom end (that's why the 2jz-gte is so incredible, and part of the reason why the entire mkiv supra tt is so special). Look at it this way: Why not take the $3K+ that you'd have spend on 'building the engine', and invest it in some race fuel?!

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-07-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
bad.boy
Stock

Quote:
If you want a workable setup, 650rwhp, or even 650 at the crank on regular fuel isn't practical with the mkiv's 3.0L (183ci) engine.

Will you be running an auto or a 6spd?

Also, would you consider running alcohol(i.e. meth)+water injection? If so, then we can get you 650rwhp on pump gas through a 6spd.

Note: You could get 650rwhp on pump gas by using a huge turbo, but the lag would be absolutely intolerable. You'd also have a very hard time regulating boost to absolutely limit the turbo's boost so it wouldn't damage the engine.

In any/all of the cases I mentioned here, you don't need to build the engine. If you detonate by running too much boost on pump gas, it'll destroy oem internals or aftermarket internals equally fast. By running the correct octane of fuel to match your boost level, and with proper tuning, you can reliably and repeatedly make 1000hp at the crank using a bone-stock 2jz-gte bottom end (that's why the 2jz-gte is so incredible, and part of the reason why the entire mkiv supra tt is so special). Look at it this way: Why not take the $3K+ that you'd have spend on 'building the engine', and invest it in some race fuel?!
thx man u helped me so much thx alot
Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
thx man u helped me so much thx alot
Glad to have helped - that's what this forum, and the Supra community is all about.

Please keep us informed about your project.