Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 10-17-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
Mellowdien
Stock

Mellowdien is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Management For VVT-i JDM Supra?

Hey Fella's,

I have big plans for the next car i get, hopefully a Supra. My "fun cars" now are a 07GT and USDM 350Z. I'm currently looking at a 2001 Supra TT with an Automatic transmission and VVT-i engine (JDM). I do not have any experience with JDM vehicles.

One of my concerns is that i could not find any engine management system for the VVT-i 2JZ-GTE. I do not want to run a piggyback system. I'm planning on upgrading everything when i get the car; Engine management, Boost controller, Fuel pump upgrade, Fuel pressure regulator, Intercooler upgrade, Radiator upgrade, BOV, Oil catch, Gauges, Tein suspension, T88 Turbokit etc.. Does anyone here know about the possibilities for these engines? Everything i find is for the USDM Non VVT-i 2JZ Manual...

I've heard of a VVT-i bypassing system however i do not want to resort to that since the VVT-i does give an actual HP bump.

Also, how much HP can the stock Automatic gearbox handle? And what can i do to reinforce it? OR is it easier to replace it with an aftermarket one?

I want an 11 second daily driver and weekend track car without having to strip the interior or having to run race fuel. Not interested in a manual transmission.

Any tips?
Mellowdien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Moy
3" Exhaust

Moy is on a distinguished road

Here's what I know. Auto Trans would have to be a TH400 or 4L80E, I believe they hold up to 1000HP. With the mods you're looking at, you'll have to run 93 octane + water/meth injection. Ask around on Supramania and Supraforums about the EMS, the members/"vendors" should be able to give you more information.

Hope that helps some
Moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moy View Post
Here's what I know. Auto Trans would have to be a TH400 or 4L80E, I believe they hold up to 1000HP. With the mods you're looking at, you'll have to run 93 octane + water/meth injection. Ask around on Supramania and Supraforums about the EMS, the members/"vendors" should be able to give you more information.

Hope that helps some
The oem auto tranny can get you into the 11s, but it may need to be upgraded (by Sound Performance or Boost Logic).

You don't need 1000hp to get into the 11s.

93 octane + meth injection can get you into the 11s, but it won't get you anywhere near 1000hp.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-20-2008 at 02:36 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowdien View Post
Hey Fella's,

I have big plans for the next car i get, hopefully a Supra. My "fun cars" now are a 07GT and USDM 350Z. I'm currently looking at a 2001 Supra TT with an Automatic transmission and VVT-i engine (JDM). I do not have any experience with JDM vehicles.

One of my concerns is that i could not find any engine management system for the VVT-i 2JZ-GTE. I do not want to run a piggyback system. I'm planning on upgrading everything when i get the car; Engine management, Boost controller, Fuel pump upgrade, Fuel pressure regulator, Intercooler upgrade, Radiator upgrade, BOV, Oil catch, Gauges, Tein suspension, T88 Turbokit etc.. Does anyone here know about the possibilities for these engines? Everything i find is for the USDM Non VVT-i 2JZ Manual...

I've heard of a VVT-i bypassing system however i do not want to resort to that since the VVT-i does give an actual HP bump.

Also, how much HP can the stock Automatic gearbox handle? And what can i do to reinforce it? OR is it easier to replace it with an aftermarket one?

I want an 11 second daily driver and weekend track car without having to strip the interior or having to run race fuel. Not interested in a manual transmission.

Any tips?
The oem tt auto can handle about 500rwhp if you regularly drag race it. Upgraded, it can usually handle about 650rwhp if driven hard. These figures depend on a LOT of variables, like whether or not you also plan to drive it hard around corners (i.e. drifting), and whether or not you'll be running 13" wide slicks.

650rwhp and good drag radials (running about 12psi of tire pressure) will be more than enough to get you into the 11s. In fact, there is a very small number of 'bpu' (stock turbos, and stock auto tranny) mkiv tt's that have gotten into the high 11s! If you want to get deep into the 10s or 9s, you'll likely need to go to an aftermarket transmission like the ones that Moy posted above.

I commend your choice to stick with an auto - it's going to be faster and more consistent for drag racing.

Custom tuners (eg. Sound Performance) can set up an aftermarket ecu (eg. AEM, Pro-EFI, Autroinic, etc.) to control VVTi, and a built oem auto tranny.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-20-2008 at 02:38 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote