Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 09-16-2008, 02:23 AM   #1
RHOWELL
Stock

RHOWELL is on a distinguished road
Default Get my JDM Supra this week.... what would you do?

Just got contacted by my broker yesterday that I will get my '93 JDM Supra by the end of this week. It has 60,000 orginal KMS but has been parked for a long time.

What would you suggest I do when it arrives regarding paint and surface treatments.

Also should I bring it into my local Toyota to have the fluids flushed and changed.

Thanks.

I am so freakin excited. This is mine and the kids cant get in it yet. No car seats or spilled milk, crackers or the smell of a smelly diaper.

Here is a picture.

RHOWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOWELL View Post
Just got contacted by my broker yesterday that I will get my '93 JDM Supra by the end of this week. It has 60,000 orginal KMS but has been parked for a long time...
Congratulations!
Quote:
...What would you suggest I do when it arrives regarding paint and surface treatments....
Zaino products.
Quote:
Also should I bring it into my local Toyota to have the fluids flushed and changed....
Yes, unless you can do the work yourself. We can advise you on precisely which fluids to use (typically much better than what Toyota will use).
Quote:
...Here is a picture.
Thank you for sharing the picture ... she's a beaut. Please post more pictures when you've got it home!

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:05 AM   #3
RHOWELL
Stock

RHOWELL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Congratulations!
Zaino products.
Yes, unless you can do the work yourself. We can advise you on precisely which fluids to use (typically much better than what Toyota will use).
Thank you for sharing the picture ... she's a beaut. Please post more pictures when you've got it home!
Could you let me know what fluids you would recommend. I will do it myself. I would like the Supra to be a littel bit more of a hands on affair then my previous cars.

Thanks
RHOWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Could you let me know what fluids you would recommend...
Full Synthetic oil for the oil change, for starters. Which fluids will you need to change, according to the maintenance schedule? Is it a 6spd or auto? Also, what is your application (daily drive, highway racing, autocross, drag racing, roadracing, drifting, etc.)?
Quote:
...I will do it myself. I would like the Supra to be a littel bit more of a hands on affair then my previous cars...
Great!

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
lamw001
Stock

lamw001 is on a distinguished road

Hi RHOWELL, very nice ride you have.

pwpanas: Could you please provide recommended fluids to cover TT auto for summer street use only?

Thanks,
Maverick
lamw001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamw001 View Post
...pwpanas: Could you please provide recommended fluids to cover TT auto for summer street use only?...
Again, start with a full synthetic oil change (preferrably amsoil) and Toyota Type T-II for the auto transmission (power flush). For coolant, use distilled water + Redline Water Wetter (be sure to drain about 20% out, & replace that 20% with Toyota Red coolant as winter approaches). Use Redline Power Steering Fluid and Redline Lightweight Shockproof diff fluid. Bleed the brakes with Valvoline SynPower brake fluid. That should about do it. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
lamw001
Stock

^^^ Thanks pwpanas. What about the diff? Should we look into that too?

Sorry OP for thread jacking one more time.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:09 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
^^^ Thanks pwpanas. What about the diff? Should we look into that too?

Sorry OP for thread jacking one more time.
Umm...I already specified the fluid for the diff (that's where the Lightweight Shockproof diff fluid goes )...

Old 09-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
lamw001
Stock

oops... ha ha. Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
oops... ha ha. Thanks again.
RHOWELL, please note: The fluids that I specified are for lamw001's application, not necessarily yours (since you didn't answer my questions)...

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-21-2008 at 01:41 PM.