Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 03-13-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
tordur
Stock

tordur is on a distinguished road
Question Is 500 bhp driveable on a daily basis?

Hi there

Still searching for the right supra to suit my needs... Not going very well... Anyway, i?m hoping to find the right one before the summer hits. Anyway, my first intend was to get an aerotop, but the pricing is high and the market somewhat limited, so i?m willing to change my preferences there.

Now, the cars which have been the best eyecandy for me, meaning polished and nice engine compartment and repainted in the last three-four years all seem to have 400 bhp or more... Some even 600... So my question is, are these cars really driveable on the street?

And yeah, I know the smartest thing would be to test-drive a lot of cars first, so I would have something to compare with, but I have to go abroad to test drive the car, I?m interested in, so it?s not really a possibility to do often...
tordur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tordur View Post
Hi there

Still searching for the right supra to suit my needs... Not going very well... Anyway, i?m hoping to find the right one before the summer hits. Anyway, my first intend was to get an aerotop, but the pricing is high and the market somewhat limited, so i?m willing to change my preferences there.

Now, the cars which have been the best eyecandy for me, meaning polished and nice engine compartment and repainted in the last three-four years all seem to have 400 bhp or more... Some even 600... So my question is, are these cars really driveable on the street?

And yeah, I know the smartest thing would be to test-drive a lot of cars first, so I would have something to compare with, but I have to go abroad to test drive the car, I?m interested in, so it?s not really a possibility to do often...
Yes 600hp Supras are really driveable on the street. Since they depend on the turbo, they produce a very tame amount of horsepower unless you mash the gas (aka accelerator) pedal down to the floor and let the rpms get up over 3.5K

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
SexyDev
Stock

SexyDev is on a distinguished road

Eh sort of because during the winter months with lots of snow its extremely dangerous and difficult to drive a car with that much horsepower and is rear wheel drive... but if your in an area with no snow then ull be fine :] personally i wouldnt drive a supra everyday its like an exotic to me only on nice days :P
SexyDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyDev View Post
Eh sort of because during the winter months with lots of snow its extremely dangerous and difficult to drive a car with that much horsepower and is rear wheel drive... but if your in an area with no snow then ull be fine :] personally i wouldnt drive a supra everyday its like an exotic to me only on nice days :P
For what it's worth, I've driven my Mkiv in the snow, and it's perfectly managable if you don't drive like an idiot (and you have tires appropriate for the conditions). Just keep the rpms down and it won't ever get into boost - so it performs just like a non-turbo when under 2500-3000 rpms.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
SexyDev
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
For what it's worth, I've driven my Mkiv in the snow, and it's perfectly managable if you don't drive like an idiot (and you have tires appropriate for the conditions). Just keep the rpms down and it won't ever get into boost - so it performs just like a non-turbo when under 2500-3000 rpms.
Yea that is true but i mean its no fun and buying winter tires... pshh but really supras shudnt be driven in bad weather in my opinion :]
Old 05-20-2008, 01:08 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyDev View Post
Yea that is true but i mean its no fun and buying winter tires... pshh but really supras shudnt be driven in bad weather in my opinion :]
So you've never driven yours in bad weather?

Old 05-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
SexyDev
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
So you've never driven yours in bad weather?
Well, we have like 2 other cars and i usually drive those my Supra is like my summer car and yes in the rain but never in the snow. I know it can be driven in the snow its just i rather not that all i am really saying.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Bolarbag
Stock

Bolarbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know it can be driven in the snow its just i rather not that all i am really saying.
I agree, spirited driving in bad(Anything other than Sunny or mild) weather is just asking for trouble in the sup, my mate wrote off a $100K Skyline because he thought his car was invincible in any weather - his brakes were slightly to blame but given the option I'd rather keep my car on the drive than not have it at all

If I wasn't into drifting my car would have been totalled by now!

Dont get me wrong its ok to drive it to shop e.t.c if you really need to in the rain or what not, as long as you drive very carefully - the car then becomes a chore to drive so I'd rather not
Old 05-31-2008, 01:36 AM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolarbag View Post
I agree, spirited driving in bad(Anything other than Sunny or mild) weather is just asking for trouble in the sup, my mate wrote off a $100K Skyline because he thought his car was invincible in any weather - his brakes were slightly to blame but given the option I'd rather keep my car on the drive than not have it at all

If I wasn't into drifting my car would have been totalled by now!

Dont get me wrong its ok to drive it to shop e.t.c if you really need to in the rain or what not, as long as you drive very carefully - the car then becomes a chore to drive so I'd rather not
Agreed.

In my post above I did mention to keep it under 2500-3000 rpms. Stick to that criteria and you'll pretty much NOT be driving "spirited".

It seems this thread has gotten a bit off-track. The initial question was about whether or not 500bhp is driveable on a daily basis. Imho, the answer to that question is 100% yes. Just because someone could drive a Prius like an idiot and crash it in wet weather (or dry, for that matter), that doesn't mean it's not daily-driveable. Stay off the gas, and a bpu Mkiv TT Supra (with oem-spec z-rated all-weather radial tires) is just as tame as most other cars, in almost any weather condition...in other words, with the oem traction control, abs, etc., it'll do far more than a one-way trip to the shop in bad weather. On the other hand, if it's a highly modified 800rwhp+ Mkiv with race tires, Bolarbag and the others are 100% correct - don't drive it on the street unless or the pavement is dry, or it's an emergency and you're driving like a granny.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-04-2008 at 02:33 AM.