Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 11-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Bone_Stock_Supra
Stock

Bone_Stock_Supra is on a distinguished road
Default Weird noise from MK IV 5-speed tranny!! Help!

Ever since I got my 1993 NA 5-speed, it has this bearing noise from the tranny. I thought it was the throwout bearing so I replace the flywheel, entire clutch, alignment bearing, and throwout bearing. I also replace the trans oil with OEM 75W-90 oil from Toyota. It was $50.00 bucks a quart!!! Anyway, the noise is still there and it seems to be louder. It only happens when the clutch pedal is all the way out. It doesn't matter if the car is in/out of gear. It does go away if you press the clutch pedal to the floor, but only then. It sounds just like a throwout bearing but it isn't. Has anyone experienced this sound and any ideas for a fix??!! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Bone_Stock_Supra; 11-17-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Bone_Stock_Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:06 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone_Stock_Supra
Ever since I got my 1993 NA 5-speed, it has this bearing noise from the tranny. I thought it was the throwout bearing so I replace the flywheel, entire clutch, alignment bearing, and throwout bearing. I also replace the trans oil with OEM 75W-90 oil from Toyota. It was $50.00 bucks a quart!!! Anyway, the noise is still there and it seems to be louder. It only happens when the clutch pedal is all the way out. It doesn't matter if the car is in/out of gear. It does go away if you press the clutch pedal to the floor, but only then. It sounds just like a throwout bearing but it isn't. Has anyone experienced this sound and any ideas for a fix??!! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
When you did your clutch job, did you also replace the pilot bearing?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:09 AM   #3
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Perhaps it's the input shaft bearing in the transmission?

Also, did you replace the snap rings when you did the work, as per the TSRM?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:21 AM   #4
dcrusupra
500whp yet?

dcrusupra is on a distinguished road

If you decide you don't want to fix it, i'll take it off your hands, lol. I'm only about 20 mins from you.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Bone_Stock_Supra
Stock

Default Bearing noise

No, I did not replace the input shaft bearing and clips when I did the clutch/flywheel job. I did replace the alignment bearing, throwout bearing, and the entire clutch and flywheel with new torque bolts for the flywheel. Is the input shaft bearing known to go bad?? LOL, if you want to pay over 20K for it, it's yours!!
Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
No, I did not replace the input shaft bearing and clips when I did the clutch/flywheel job. I did replace the alignment bearing, throwout bearing, and the entire clutch and flywheel with new torque bolts for the flywheel. Is the input shaft bearing known to go bad??
My Mkiv is a TT, so I have no idea about your 5spd. On the 6spd, the input shaft bearing generally doesn't go bad but I do know of one case where it did need to be replaced.

Snap rings are consumables - never reuse them. (see the TSRM for details)

Old 11-21-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
Bone_Stock_Supra
Stock

Default Snap Ring

Where exactly does the snap ring go? I don't remember seeing one. Please advise!!
Old 11-22-2007, 03:00 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Where exactly does the snap ring go? I don't remember seeing one. Please advise!!
There are two of them. One connects the throwout bearing assembly onto the clutch, and the other fastens the throwout bearing to the throwout bearing hub.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Bone_Stock_Supra
Stock

Default Trans rebuild

Ended up taking out the tranny and swapping the guts from another unit. I think the bearing sound was either from the input shaft bearing or one of the shaft (carrier) bearings. Anyway, if you ever get a bearing noise that can only be heard when the pedal is all the way out, its an internal bearing and you need to go through the unit and replace them. No more bearing noise but I do have a quick question...

Does your trany feel a little hard to shift when the car is cold. My trans is a little "notchy" when I first get going but after 5 minutes it shifts like butter. Let me know!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone_Stock_Supra View Post
Ended up taking out the tranny and swapping the guts from another unit. I think the bearing sound was either from the input shaft bearing or one of the shaft (carrier) bearings. Anyway, if you ever get a bearing noise that can only be heard when the pedal is all the way out, its an internal bearing and you need to go through the unit and replace them. No more bearing noise but I do have a quick question...

Does your trany feel a little hard to shift when the car is cold. My trans is a little "notchy" when I first get going but after 5 minutes it shifts like butter. Let me know!
Thank you for the follow-up post, and congrats on getting rid of the noise!

Not sure if experience with my 6spd would be relevant, but shifting is just fine both cold and after it gets warm...