Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIV FAQ (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-faq/)
-   -   Best Performance Clutch (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-faq/6509-best-performance-clutch.html)

SilvaT 10-23-2006 10:31 PM

Best Performance Clutch

HI,

I recently bought a 94' TT supra (6sp manual) ...well about 5months ago, and it was running great.....until a few days ago when my clutch went.

I just wanted any advise on what is the best performance clutch to get, i have been looking at the TRD Twin plate sprung cerametallic clutch kit, complete with lightweight flywheel - up to 750NM /800PS, but just wonder from anyones experience whether they could suggest any other good alternatives.

Any help would be appreciated (i hate to see it just sitting on the driveway)

Cheers

hangsupra 10-24-2006 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilvaT
HI,

I recently bought a 94' TT supra (6sp manual) ...well about 5months ago, and it was running great.....until a few days ago when my clutch went.

I just wanted any advise on what is the best performance clutch to get, i have been looking at the TRD Twin plate sprung cerametallic clutch kit, complete with lightweight flywheel - up to 750NM /800PS, but just wonder from anyones experience whether they could suggest any other good alternatives.

Any help would be appreciated (i hate to see it just sitting on the driveway)

Cheers

so far.. i havent try other perfomances clutch... n ect...
but i just use the zoom performances clutch from Napa... cause Napa is the place's i own... so i just get it from my work places... at great low prices... a set for under $250... and its a 6puck with spring loading... and come with a light-weight flywheel... so it do the job for me...

pwpanas 10-24-2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

...I recently bought a 94' TT supra (6sp manual) ...well about 5months ago, and it was running great.....until a few days ago when my clutch went.

Do you mind additional transmission noise? Most twin disk clutches come with their own light-weight solid flywheel (in fact all of them, afaik), which is not dual-mass (like the oem flywheel). This causes the transmission to make a lot more noise - some guys don't mind it, but it drives some other guys bonkers. It's your choice.

Also, why are you looking at a 750NM/800PS clutch? Do you plan to make that much power in the near future?

SilvaT 10-24-2006 04:03 PM

Well that's the thing, i believe that the standard supra clutch can handle up to 500bhp, however assumed it may be better in the long run if i was gonna some engine work. I dont think i would mind the extra transmition noise but the TRD twin plate is quite pricey, so what else would you recommend?

I had a look at stage 2 zoom performance clutch which looks like a good option, as im am looking to change my whole exhaust system taking out both CATs and will therefore have to upgrade my feul pump. But what model/ part no: clutch did you get with a fly wheel included?? obviously i will have to add on Shipping charges to this as well, so i guess it wont be as cheap.

Cheers for the advise guys!

pwpanas 10-24-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Well that's the thing, i believe that the standard supra clutch can handle up to 500bhp

Bhp=whp, right? If so, then the oem mkiv tt clutch can not reliably handle that much rwhp. Even 400rwhp is pushing it.

Quote:

however assumed it may be better in the long run if i was gonna some engine work.

You mean like a single turbo?

Quote:

I dont think i would mind the extra transmition noise but the TRD twin plate is quite pricey, so what else would you recommend?

I honestly can't say until I know your max rwhp goal.

Quote:

I had a look at stage 2 zoom performance clutch which looks like a good option...

Again, there's absolutely no way in the world to confirm this without knowing your planned max rwhp.

Quote:

...as im am looking to change my whole exhaust system taking out both CATs and will therefore have to upgrade my feul pump.

Why do you say that? The oem fuel pump, and in fact the entire oem fuel system is good to at least 500rwhp....and the oem twins can't push that much rwhp so why would you need a new fuel pump???? :dunno:

Quote:

But what model/ part no: clutch did you get with a fly wheel included??

Every multi-disk clutch, including the TRD twin, comes with it's own lightweight flywheel.

Quote:

obviously i will have to add on Shipping charges to this as well, so i guess it wont be as cheap.

Unfortunately, no good, high-horsepower-holding aftermarket clutch will be cheap. ...and the higher the hp/tq rating, the more $ it will generally cost. For example the RPS twin carbon is about $2900 and the Tilton triple carbon is about $4500. It's easy to buy more clutch than you need, so the first thing you need to do is figure out exactly what rwhp figure you need the clutch to handle.

SilvaT 10-25-2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas
Bhp=whp, right? If so, then the oem mkiv tt clutch can not reliably handle that much rwhp. Even 400rwhp is pushing it.

You mean like a single turbo?

Yeah soon i want to get a single turbo, but not just yet

I honestly can't say until I know your max rwhp goal.

i would say im looking to make it around 500 hp

Again, there's absolutely no way in the world to confirm this without knowing your planned max rwhp.

Why do you say that? The oem fuel pump, and in fact the entire oem fuel system is good to at least 500rwhp....and the oem twins can't push that much rwhp so why would you need a new fuel pump???? :dunno:

This is what i was told by the guy who was going to do my exhaust fitting etc.. i was a bit like errr why as well, as i didn't see why i needed to change the pump for just the exhaust!

Every multi-disk clutch, including the TRD twin, comes with it's own lightweight flywheel.

Unfortunately, no good, high-horsepower-holding aftermarket clutch will be cheap. ...and the higher the hp/tq rating, the more $ it will generally cost. For example the RPS twin carbon is about $2900 and the Tilton triple carbon is about $4500. It's easy to buy more clutch than you need, so the first thing you need to do is figure out exactly what rwhp figure you need the clutch to handle.

yeah i know everywhere is roughly charging the same price, so i guess you get what you pay for. I'll keep looking for one that will handle around 500hp, unless you know of any from your experience!

cheers

pwpanas 10-25-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

yeah i know everywhere is roughly charging the same price, so i guess you get what you pay for. I'll keep looking for one that will handle around 500hp, unless you know of any from your experience!...

I'm a pro installer and I've worked with almost every one out there (really!). I don't think I'd agree that everywhere is roughly charging the same price, since multi-disk clutches are typically much more expensive than single disk clutches.

I can advise you as to exactly what would be best for your application, but I need to know a bit more about what you plan to use it for in order to give you the best advice. Please answer these questions:
  1. Again, what "engine work" are you planning? A single turbo?
  2. What is your application? Roadrace? Autocross? Drag Race? Drifting? Daily driving? Hill Climb (eg. Pike's Peak)? Top speed (200mph+)? etc.
  3. The other question I posted above isn't clutch related, but I'm very curious: Please tell me why you say "im am looking to change my whole exhaust system taking out both CATs and will therefore have to upgrade my feul pump"?

SilvaT 10-25-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

I'm a pro installer and I've worked with almost every one out there (really!). I don't think I'd agree that everywhere is roughly charging the same price, since multi-disk clutches are typically much more expensive than single disk clutches.

I can advise you as to exactly what would be best for your application, but I need to know a bit more about what you plan to use it for in order to give you the best advice. Please answer these questions:
  1. Again, what "engine work" are you planning? A single turbo?
  2. What is your application? Roadrace? Autocross? Drag Race? Drifting? Daily driving? Hill Climb (eg. Pike's Peak)? Top speed (200mph+)? etc.
  3. The other question I posted above isn't clutch related, but I'm very curious: Please tell me why you say "im am looking to change my whole exhaust system taking out both CATs and will therefore have to upgrade my fuel pump"?

Yeah i am planning to do a single turbo conversion, however not immediately, really want it more for roadrace. The reason i said i would have to change my fuel was coz the guy who was doing my modification advised me that i may have to upgrade my fuel pump, as i was taking out both CAT's... i was unsure as to why this was necessary as well!

Also i what i meant to say before was all twin platel clutches are reasonably expensive!

pwpanas 10-25-2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

Yeah i am planning to do a single turbo conversion, however not immediately, really want it more for roadrace.

I see. What is your absolute max rwhp goal for the next two years? If you're willing to consider a single disk clutch (see below), I can recommend at least one good option for you, based on the rwhp goal you already stated...

Quote:

The reason i said i would have to change my fuel was coz the guy who was doing my modification advised me that i may have to upgrade my fuel pump, as i was taking out both CAT's... i was unsure as to why this was necessary as well!

I have to advise you to stop using that guy as an installer because he's dead wrong. Sorry to be so blunt about it, but there's really no other way to say it. The oem fuel pump is good for over 500rwhp (through a 6spd), and absolutely anything the oem twin turbos can push out. I'd literally LOVE the opportunity to 'educate' your installer.

Quote:

Also i what i meant to say before was all twin platel clutches are reasonably expensive!

Agreed, but why are you limiting yourself to twin-plate clutches? There are several aftermarket single disk clutches that can hold your target rwhp... Only downside is slightly higher/harder pedal pressure. Would that be okay with you?

SilvaT 10-26-2006 11:01 AM

Quote:

I see. What is your absolute max rwhp goal for the next two years? If you're willing to consider a single disk clutch (see below), I can recommend at least one good option for you, based on the rwhp goal you already stated...

I have to advise you to stop using that guy as an installer because he's dead wrong. Sorry to be so blunt about it, but there's really no other way to say it. The oem fuel pump is good for over 500rwhp (through a 6spd), and absolutely anything the oem twin turbos can push out. I'd literally LOVE the opportunity to 'educate' your installer.

Agreed, but why are you limiting yourself to twin-plate clutches? There are several aftermarket single disk clutches that can hold your target rwhp... Only downside is slightly higher/harder pedal pressure. Would that be okay with you?

I would say the max goal would be around 520rwhp, yeah if you could recommend a clutch that could hold that without needing to be changed that would be great. With regards to pedal pressure, i wouldn't really have a problem with that.

I'll pass on your advise when i speak to my installer, and let you know what he says.

Cheers

T