Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra > MKIV FAQ

Old 04-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
CougarDS
Stock

CougarDS is on a distinguished road
Default twins or single for road racing?

Should i keep my twins or convert to single turbo for road racing?
CougarDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarDS
Should i keep my twins or convert to single turbo for road racing?
In general, you should keep your twins. Larger turbos have more lag to deal with, and as a result are more difficult to roadrace.

Of course, if you're going for a track record (or if you're trying to bust your buddy's brand new Carrera GT / C6 Z06) you'll need to go single. You'll also need an upgraded fuel system, high octane race fuel, coilovers, wide tires, roadrace slicks, and a racelogic traction control system.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-10-2006 at 01:22 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
supramanocnsd
3" Exhaust

supramanocnsd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
In general, you should keep your twins. Larger turbos have more lag to deal with, and as a result are more difficult to roadrace.

Of course, if you're going for a track record (or if you're trying to bust your buddy's brand new Carrera GT / C6 Z06) you'll need to go single. You'll also need an upgraded fuel system, high octane race fuel, coilovers, wide tires, roadrace slicks, and a racelogic traction control system.
Damn your on the ball.. I'd hang wiht you and learn alot if you were in Cali... again dead on.. stock twins.. but I would go true twin... not the fact seq... better kick more boost at low levels.. and the second turbo kick in a apex could throw the ass end out....
supramanocnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramanocnsd
Damn your on the ball.. I'd hang wiht you and learn alot if you were in Cali...
Thank you for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramanocnsd
...again dead on.. stock twins.. but I would go true twin... not the fact seq... better kick more boost at low levels.. and the second turbo kick in a apex could throw the ass end out...
Agreed. If you don't upgrade to a single, the oem twins in TTC ("true twin") are easier to roadrace than the oem twins in sequential mode. Some folks even run a setup that allows electronically switching between sequential and TTC.

Only one minor discussion point...although TTC feels like it kicks better/harder with more boost at low levels, sequential is actually faster in the 1/4 (straight-line)...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-11-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Jasin
Stock

Jasin is on a distinguished road

Quote:

On the fule just go with Methanol

Cheers
Jasin K
Jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasin
On the fule just go with Methanol ...
Have you done a lot of roadracing with Methanol? Just curious...

Old 05-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
Jasin
Stock

Quote:
Have you done a lot of roadracing with Methanol? Just curious...
Yes, I have not seen one bad side effect (Cause its tuned Correctly)..I use the Boost cooler system from Snow Proformance.

Jason K
Old 05-17-2007, 12:49 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Yes, I have not seen one bad side effect (Cause its tuned Correctly)..I use the Boost cooler system from Snow Proformance...
Is that in an Mkiv Supra Turbo? Oh, and where have you roadraced it? Again, pardon my curiosity...

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-17-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:13 AM   #9
Jasin
Stock

Quote:
Is that in an Mkiv Supra Turbo? Oh, and where have you roadraced it? Again, pardon my curiosity...
Np , I play with my car up at hallet Race way in Talsa oklahoma. Yes it is a Mkiv Turbo. Btw no one finds out if their not curious :P

Jasin K
Old 05-17-2007, 05:15 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Np , I play with my car up at hallet Race way in Talsa oklahoma. Yes it is a Mkiv Turbo...
Glad to have you on the forum Jasin...welcome!