Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
Burning Pyro
3" Exhaust

Burning Pyro is on a distinguished road
Default Got a new problem,possbile rod knock...

So heres the story. Last weekend me and buddy finally got my 88 Turbo Supra to racing. we messed around with the wastage a bit to give it a little extra power. it schooled a civic and talon, made me happy. lol. the next night after coming home from the movies we challenged an 06 mustang, suprisgly to me we beat it by about 5 car lengths going from start of highway to end of highway. we let the car sit at my house for a while and we went to start it and it just cranked. everyone said it was my fuel pump, but i was like no, everyone always says that but its not, i check my oil and it was dry, so i had aspar quart in my hatch andi put her in and varooom. so we went to walmart and bought some mobil 1 10w-30.my buddy managed to over fill the thing becuase the next day it died on the highway and i had this happen before. had oil allover the plugs. so i drained the oil, opened up the valve covers so i culd get to that plate that covers the plug valley, i toooked that out and drained the oil. i had my little brother hop in the car and crank it once jsut so i could make sure everything would spin. it was kinda cool, the rags i had in the plug bays shot out lol. but everything spun. and there is compression.so i threw her back together, put in 3 quarts to be safe for now drove for a bit and added the fourth quart. NOW, heres the problem. a few nights ago i heard some knocking, i couldnt tell if its coming from under the car or in the engine. a few friends said it ROD KNOCK. i dont know enough to say what it is. im thinking maybe i could have left a bolt under the valve cover, not saying i did but maybe something slipped in and i didnt see it.theres the story and the symptoms. well also, i dont have a working tach yet,so im not sure what the rpm range it hits at, but it happens when im at a lower range and it goes away, but you can here it when the car starts, but then it stops, had me thining it was belt squeek at first. Please help as i do not want to do any further damage. im going to take the valve covers off 2mr and check it out. thanks for any advise and sorry for the long post.

3" Apex'i Exhaust from downpipe w/ 4"tip| K&N Intake Filter | HKS SSQV BOV | S-AFC II | 7mgte rebuild | ARP Head Studs | HKS MHG | t04E .63 trim turbo | 38mm Turbonetics waste gate | XS Power intercooler | Fluidyne radiator | 3" hardpiping/intercooler piping | all new belts | dual electric fans | tokico illuminas struts with eibach springs | think thats it for now....
Burning Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

I can't imagine what a spare nut loose under the valve cover would do.
But it would definitely NOT be good.

From what you are saying..., or from what I could make of what you are saying it sounds like rod knock is a possibility.

Hard to say.

The only thing I have had rod knock in was not a supra.
But it would stop at different rpm's and kick back in right around the same rpm level every time.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Burning Pyro
3" Exhaust

i almost want to say it could be tranny related too. in my short shifter it feels like something, kinda like its in sync with the knocking. ive been looking at other sites on how to trouble shoot, im going to do that in a bit, but if anyone has any further advise i would appreciate it. i want to be able to go about this the easiest and most cost efficient way, i think if worse comes down to worse i could possibly take it down to the toyota dealership, theyve got a shop. i would hate to do that but i dont want to lose my car or then engine. btw its the 7mgte motor with 5spd

3" Apex'i Exhaust from downpipe w/ 4"tip| K&N Intake Filter | HKS SSQV BOV | S-AFC II | 7mgte rebuild | ARP Head Studs | HKS MHG | t04E .63 trim turbo | 38mm Turbonetics waste gate | XS Power intercooler | Fluidyne radiator | 3" hardpiping/intercooler piping | all new belts | dual electric fans | tokico illuminas struts with eibach springs | think thats it for now....
Old 09-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
supraman121
12psi boost

supraman121 is on a distinguished road

Well, i find when you run a car with no oil it usually doesnt end well, i would have to say sence you were racing around, with no oil you probly did some damage and you probly do have rod knock, know the onlything you have to worry about is when its going to go and is it going to go through the block if it doesnt you can just rebuild the motor.

www.myspace.com/coreyjstevens

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1536317037 <------ this one should work check out the accident one aswell ya i might be a "fat kid" but i sure can move fast!~
supraman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #5
Burning Pyro
3" Exhaust

ok forget that last post, not tranny related as for as i know by troubleshooting. i just pulled my plug wires, managing to only get zapped once. turns out the noise stops when plug 4 is pulled.not sure what to do from here. ive got a backup car i was about to sell becuase my parents want it gone so we can all park in the driveway again. is my supra still drivable with only 5 cylinders?like i said 2mr im draining the oil and checking under the valve covers for shavings or anything that could be a problem. im not sure what else to do for now

Last edited by Burning Pyro; 09-04-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

Well along the afore stated rebuild.

Drive that bitch like you stole it, then rebuild it, lol. Kidding.
Sounds like you located it in #4.

Seriously. Don't drive it. Rebuild it.
This is kind of a good thing if you haven't sunk cheese into it.
Because you can rebuild it with forged internals from the ground up.
Get it all machined ported and polished and just build it.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
Burning Pyro
3" Exhaust

thats what i was afaid of. never thought i would have to do a rebuild so i never read the other threads, but what is needed besides a dozen 10mm and 12mm? lol my dad has an engine hoist from when he used to build muscle cars, really hes my key here to all this i guess.im gonna have to bore out the piston chambers, correct? i jsut be better off fiind performance parts, a MHG, and well the other things....if you guys could lead me into th light as to what i need in parts and the procedure id appreciate it.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

Well when I rebuilt mine.

I replaced everything I thought could ever give me a problem, EVERYTHING.
Now I need an ECU.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
Burning Pyro
3" Exhaust

-this just in-my dad and his buddy said it could be a lifter if im lucky.havent checked yet though.any thoughts?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

Do you mean a valve??