Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-24-2007, 03:12 AM   #1
suprabahamut
3" Exhaust

suprabahamut is on a distinguished road
Default engine will not rotate

before I could even get a compression check the engine will not rotate, first I tried to rotate the crankshaft with a socket wrench and it turned only so far one way and so far the other way so I rotated it counter clock wise till it stoped and tried to start it. it would try to go and just stop at the certain part it stoped at clock wise. what could be wrong? has any one had this problem before and fixed it. and some one mentioned engine seize, what is engine seize and can it be fixed.
suprabahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you trying to turn the crank manually for a compression test? Sounds like hell.

Pull the spark plugs and check for anything inside the cylinder which could be getting in the way... such as a valve. Have someone using a flashlight watch to see if the pistons are moving while you try to turn the crank. If the crank turns without the plugs in you're just fighting with the compressing air.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:21 AM   #3
suprabahamut
3" Exhaust

no I did not try to turn it first, I tried to start it with the spark plugs out and the compression checker in the spark plugs place, but the engine would not rotate or start so I looked in the haynes manual and it said to try and turn the engine with a socket wrench and that is when the engine would only turn so far clock wise and so far counter clock wise. and if it turned over I was going to compression check it, but you said it could be a stuck valve? how would you check it? with a light looking into the spark plug hole and if it is a stuck valve would I have to just remove the valve cover and fix it or the whole head
Old 05-25-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

Wow. What did you do to this engine? Did you drive it and now it won't rotate? Rev the shit out of it with no oil in it racing a Honda?

You definately have catastrophic engine damage on your hands. These are not interferance motors, so you can rule out valves causing this problem. If you can only rotate the motor so far one way and another, then you probably threw a connecting rod. Go look in your haynes manual to see what that is.

A little background on how this car was running before would help. Did it ever run? Or did you get the car like this?

Last edited by IHateHacks; 05-25-2007 at 02:30 AM.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:16 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be so quick to rule out a valve. If a spring snaps the keepers can drop out letting the entire valve drop into the cylinder. Yeah, a rod is definitely another possibility.... that or (I sure hope this isn't the case) the tranny is in gear. lol
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

True.

Even with the trans in gear, you will have no problem spinning the crank with a breaker bar. 1st, 2nd, 5th, Reverse, it don't matter. I can actually move my car with it in gear with a breaker bar.

If you can't turn the motor with the starter, you are not going to spin it by hand, I can tell you that much.

We still need more info to even try to guess at whats wrong. Did the motor run up until you took the spark plugs out and threaded the compression tester in? Is that when the motor would not turn? I'm now thinking he dropped something in there like a bolt....
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #7
suprabahamut
3" Exhaust

no I have never driven it I bought it from my friend for $100 because it sat in his fathers yard and he made him sell it and I have not had the money to work on it so I just done minor things to it so far like inflate the tires wash it and vacume it out he took all the fluid out of it because he was going to replace the head gasket so I never really cranked it untill I bought some cheap oil and put it on the battery charger and I was going to compression check it to make shure it does not need piston rings and other parts while i disasimble it
Old 05-26-2007, 12:22 AM   #8
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

Why check the comp of you you know you have a shitty gasket.

It doesn't matter if it's kind of crappy or all the way crappy.

Change it or them.

Come on man you've got one. USE IT.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
suprabahamut
3" Exhaust

I was going to comprssion check it and then sqirt a little oil in the spark plug holes and see if the rings needed to be replaced so I dont have to rip it apart a nother time and buy another head gasket when I replace the rings I am kind of cheap I want to find out all wrong now so I dont speed extra money later
Old 05-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Kuban is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateHacks
Wow. What did you do to this engine? Did you drive it and now it won't rotate? Rev the shit out of it with no oil in it racing a Honda?

You definately have catastrophic engine damage on your hands. These are not interferance motors, so you can rule out valves causing this problem. If you can only rotate the motor so far one way and another, then you probably threw a connecting rod. Go look in your haynes manual to see what that is.

A little background on how this car was running before would help. Did it ever run? Or did you get the car like this?
damn negative negative.

Well it COULD be a seize but not necessarily. For all we know hes got the car in gear with the parking break on. Think of the little things "i hate hacks". You gotta remember everyone in here inst a master toyo tech. Fighting compression shouldnt be that difficult. But ya never know, if hes not that strong, a compression stroke could be hard to fight.
-greddy type S
-greddy profec b
-apexi ride high 7 way adjustables
-eibach springs
-slotted rotors
-mkIV TT rims (front)245/45/17 (rear)285/40/17
-targa
-greddy turbo timer
-egr eliminated
-3" turbo back, no cat, no resonator, Apexi N1 back.
-n/a cams

Theres others ill think of later.
Kuban is offline   Reply With Quote