Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-18-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Kuban is on a distinguished road
Default Bhg vs worn rings vs valve guides

Well as many of you have followed my previous issues i have yet one more question before i start ripping my engine apart for my rebuild. Im going to be running a compression test tomorrow, but before i do i would like to know how the numbers should be looking in difference or variation throughout the pistons. Such as. If its a bhg obviously one or two pistons will be considerably lower than the rest, pending how it blew. But if my rings are shot will this look the same? Or will the numbers be a little lower but basically the same across the board? Personally i think this thing is burning waaaay to much oil to be rings. The only possible way i see rings as being my problem is if one of the rings litterally dislocated itself from the piston. I mean i burn ALOT of oil. To be exact probably about a quart in 5-10 miles. I dont know about the rest of you, but that is waaaay to much oil for rings to burn up. Especially if anyone has read the profile on my car recently. Thing is, i wanna rule out hg aswell because i have no coolant issues what so ever, i know it is possible that i could have blown the "combustion chamber to oil galley" but iv heard that it is VERY unlikely to blow JUST that part of the hg. I should mention that it doesnt start to burn oil until about a minute of running. At first its un-noticeable, then after a minute she burns a little out of the exhaust, then when i drive it, it burns mostly from 1-2k rpms while im slippin the clutch driving. I can fill an entire street up with smoke if i wish . Kinda odd for it to be rings after only 30k miles of driving. Especially with no abuse, not seeing more than 12psi, and a proper brake in period.

I mentioned before the turbo went, and i thought this issue was the turbo, but i threw a new one of this last sunday and to all avail, still burns oil. I should mention the turbo was used and had some shaft play, so i mean theoretically it could still be the turbo. But theres just way to much crankcase pressure, cause the day i did the turbo was also the day i blew one of the front seals AGAIN. So yea. Patience is running out, im about to rip the engine out of the car.
Kuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

My memory is shot, so it was you who did the front main seal and oil pump drive shaft seal? Now it blew again? Didn't you PM me about it and I said "excessive crankcase pressure"?

So its blowing front main seals left and right, and burning retarded amounts of oil. Did this motor always do this ever since the first day you got it? I'm leaning toward the rings not being installed properly. The gap in the rings have to be at a certain angle to each other. Or one of the pcv breather lines, mainly the big rubber hose on the intake cam cover is plugged. I don't know, but whatever it is, it doesn't just happen I can assure you that. Your problem is definitely human error, not yours, but whoever built the engine at jasper or whoever installed it.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateHacks
My memory is shot, so it was you who did the front main seal and oil pump drive shaft seal? Now it blew again? Didn't you PM me about it and I said "excessive crankcase pressure"?

So its blowing front main seals left and right, and burning retarded amounts of oil. Did this motor always do this ever since the first day you got it? I'm leaning toward the rings not being installed properly. The gap in the rings have to be at a certain angle to each other. Or one of the pcv breather lines, mainly the big rubber hose on the intake cam cover is plugged. I don't know, but whatever it is, it doesn't just happen I can assure you that. Your problem is definitely human error, not yours, but whoever built the engine at jasper or whoever installed it.
touche`. I dont catch breaks these days. Im gonna run down stairs in a minute and see if i can suck air out of the pcv line. If i cant. Bingo. If i can im ripping off the valve covers, No.3 cylinder cover, and my plugs to run a comp test. Ill post results tomorrow morning most likely.

Im almost preying its as simple as replacing my turbo and buying new valve covers. As sad as that sounds.

As far as wether this has happened before, it never burned oil when i first got it. Not a bit. Then it did it a little bit, then when it overheated and the other turbo blew, it started to do it alot. Im thinking yea it is the damn turbo. If they improperly installed the rings, the previous compression test wouldn't have shown 175 across the board. But we will see what happens here in this next comp test. Anyone else realize that a comp. test is like the scariest test ull ever take hahaha. ACT's, ASVAB, aint got shit on a compression test haha.

Im thinking the seals in my turbo were going bad, it overheated, that sent the seals over the edge. Then i put this mystery turbo on and the seals are probably blown right off the bat. The shaft play is more than the turbo i took off the car, although theres no grind noise in spool up.

SO ill keep you updated man.

Last edited by Kuban; 04-18-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:06 AM   #4
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

Ok, so it started after you took ownership of the vehicle.

Even if your turbo seals were shot, it would not cause your front main or oil pump drive shaft seals to keep blowing out.

I'm still leaning towards rings. Do the cylinder compression test and post your results. Make sure you pull the 15A EFI fuse out of the fuse box near the battery, make sure the engine is warmed up when you perform the test and don't forget to hold the throttle wide open during the actual cranking.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:16 AM   #5
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Ran it today. Under these conditions. 1) I took everything off the top of the engine. (midpipe removed, valve covers removed, no.3 cover removed, all spark plugs removed, cold engine, dry comp test, throttle not held in at all).

Number went as followed.

#1 - 50
#2 - 100
#3 - 70
#4 - 120
#5 - 175
#6 - 32

So uhhh yea. interesting. Ill repost later with more details and comments.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #6
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road
Unhappy No Need to go any further

Those #'s tell us that it's time to rebuild the entire motor, or swap it out for a JDM motor (cheaper, but not as good as a real good rebuild).

And let this fellow's experience be a lesson to everyone else.

Read before buying:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...ead.php?t=3296
Old 04-19-2007, 06:08 AM   #7
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnickleye
Those #'s tell us that it's time to rebuild the entire motor, or swap it out for a JDM motor (cheaper, but not as good as a real good rebuild).

And let this fellow's experience be a lesson to everyone else.

Read before buying:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...ead.php?t=3296
^ *Engine that is. Did u notice i only have 30k miles on this engine? Not just rebuilt, like someone on this forum previously stated remanufactured by jasper.
That been said. Since if this were a bhg issue i would be having cooling system issues. And im not. In any way shape or form. Then this is def rings/valve related. Also, with number like this shouldnt the car ooooo i dont know NOT RUN? Well this isnt the case. It runs fine. On cold start it takes about 2 seconds of cranking to get started, but after it warms up it idles and runs basically normal. Kinda has me wondering if maybe the valves are gummed up to the point where im losing compression in those other cylenders. I think i might try and throw the engine back together and run like an entire bottle of carb cleaner into the intake while the engine is running. See if that clears things up a bit. Also if it were my rings, id immagine the number would be a little more consistant. Here i have 2 cylenders dangerously low, 2 well below par, one a little below normal, and one perfectly normal if not really good. If there was ring falure its unlikely to happen in 4 cylenders. If there was excesive ring wear then the numbers would be more consitant. BUT if i were to say have stuck valves from carbon build up. Any numbers are game.

Either way. Im not rebuilding a damn thing! Do we know why? Oh yea. Its still under warrenty! Ill let jasper deal with it from here. Unless anyone else thinks the valves sticking sounds like a possiblilty. I also have pics of the top of the head and spark plugs that ill post up tomorrow morning.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road
Default Performing a compression test.

OK....to tell how the valves are, run a comp test on each cyl 3x. Watch the FIRST JUMP of the needle each time, then the last reading. Write it all down.

If the FIRST JUMPS are low, then it comes on up to, say, 110psi, then the valve is bad. If it is low, and it only maxes at, say, 60psi, then the valve it REALLY burnt, or sticking open some.

After doing all this, do it all over again, but (using an oilsquirt can) squirt some oil (about 1 ounce) into each cyl before testing it.

If the final #s come up alot, then the rings are shot.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnickleye
OK....to tell how the valves are, run a comp test on each cyl 3x. Watch the FIRST JUMP of the needle each time, then the last reading. Write it all down.

If the FIRST JUMPS are low, then it comes on up to, say, 110psi, then the valve is bad. If it is low, and it only maxes at, say, 60psi, then the valve it REALLY burnt, or sticking open some.

After doing all this, do it all over again, but (using an oilsquirt can) squirt some oil (about 1 ounce) into each cyl before testing it.

If the final #s come up alot, then the rings are shot.
okay thanks ill try that in a few hours when i get off work. damn third shift
Old 04-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

Does he have to rebuild the head or just replace the rings..?
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote