Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   crank shaft pulley puller (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/8171-crank-shaft-pulley-puller.html)

supramacist 04-12-2007 11:29 PM

crank shaft pulley puller

Do I need one of these tools to remove the crank shaft pulleys so I can remove the lower drive belt casing???

I jacked this thing up and the casing is built around the crank. I can get a 21mm 3/4 drive on it but I can't bust that nut and hold the pulleys at the same time and get anywhere, anyway.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

IHateHacks 04-13-2007 01:17 AM

First, to get the crank pulley off you are going to have to take the starter out and jamb the flywheel with a prybar through the hole the starter goes in, that is the only way you are going to prevent the crankshaft from turning while you try to loosen the crank pulley bolt. And by the way the crank pulley bolt is 19mm not 21mm. Have a friend hold the pry bar while you crack that sucker loose. Once its off, if you can't just slide the crank pulley off, you can "walk" it off with a flathead screwdriver. Lay under the car with your feet sticking out of the front end and your head just behind the pulley, now use the shank of the flathead on each 'side' of the pulley, do not pry at it with the tip of the screwdriver. It will take you a while and it will seem like its not doing anything, but just get up and look at how much the crank has moved away from the lower timing belt case to see your progress. Should take you about 30 minutes to take the pulley off that way.

supramacist 04-13-2007 03:49 AM

I pulled off of it today and I was actually coming back to see what everyone thought about what you said because pulling the starter puts me right where I need to be. But I didn't know if it would damage anything or not.

There's definitley no easy way to do this. I just put the starter on as well about a week ago.

I couldn't get a 19 on it. I used a 21 with hex head grooves, fit's perfectly. My set went from 19mm to 21mm. I thought I was going to have to buy a 20mm socket. These engines are basically the same but they do have differences.

Thanks for the responce.

j3pz 04-13-2007 04:14 AM

you can also put a breaker bar or something on, set it against the frame or something else that wont move, and just turn the motor over real quick. i dont know if i would do either way for fear of damage

supramacist 04-13-2007 05:18 AM

The stock flywheel is hefty. But I'm picky about what to actually put in there.

I dig the jeeter bar idea. I'm from arkansas.., That's what I grew up calling them.

I'm still open to ideas for certain. Jesus..., I'll need a saw'd off alluminum bat for this, lol.

Anyhow it's soaking in PB Blaster as we speak. I have nothing to lose in renting the pulley puller. I'm just out of pocket 90 bucks till I return it. I need any tool I can get my hands on. A king size pipe wrench would be nice.

I'm not a mechinic. I just work on my own $hit.

Kuban 04-13-2007 09:23 AM

i didnt have to, but i would take a breaker bar, prop is against the floor and crank the engine over. Im pretty sure it spins the correct way.

IHateHacks 04-13-2007 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supramacist
but I can't bust that nut

Damn bro, I think you got other issues. :rofl: :outahere:

LOL, sorry I couldn't resist!! But seriously, I've seen people toast their starters doing the starter bump method. I was the same way at first, I was scared of jamming the flywheel with a prybar, I was afraid of breaking a tooth, but you really just have to hold it with the prybar. The flywheel is so big compared to the crank bolt that you have like 100X the leverage or whatever. Trust me, it won't f-up your flywheel and its the ONLY way to stop that crank from moving.

You keep talking about a pulley puller? Are you trying to get the crank bolt off or do you already have the crank bolt off and you are trying to get the crank pulley off?

supramacist 04-13-2007 04:50 PM

I don't know. This will be the first time for this one right here.

After thinking about it all night I'm still not sure of how I want to do this.
When I hear you say pry bar. What exactlly are you talking about? Because I see like a stanley nail pulling pry bar in my mind.

As for the other. I'm not sure of wich way the center nut is supposed to turn to loosen. I am assuming it's left and I would turn the pulley to the right.

The tsrm doesn't cover this particular Application.

IHateHacks 04-13-2007 05:03 PM

Prybar is a term used in the auto technician trade to describe a tool that has a handle like a screwdriver but the tool end has a box shank and is about 2 feet long with a big flathead at the end that is usually angled about 30-45 degrees. It's meant to pry things apart.

When you say center nut are you talking about the crankshaft pulley bolt? And every single nut/bolt on a supra tightens to the right and loosens to the left. There are no reverse threaded fasteners on a MK3 supra.

I'm telling you but you seem to not want to hear it, the only way you are going to keep the crank from spinning is to jam the flywheel. I've done it before, I'm not just giving you hearsay like some people do.

supramacist 04-13-2007 05:11 PM

I believe you dude. I don't doubt you. I just want to make sure I KNOW what I am doing before I get out there. And I get what you mean by a pry bar now.

Part of the hesitation is I don't have a pry bar. And I'm not into taking the starter off again either..., what a pain. The more I think about it. I am realizing this is probably the best way.
My first thought was I will get flamed if I tell anyone I am jamming the flywheel to break the but. And ya I couldn't resist the nut busting comment either.

I'm calling to find a prybar now..., but I will probably go to Lowes.