Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Kuban is on a distinguished road
Default A few quirks and concerns i could use help.

A few concerns for the good ol mkiii. I just bought a 87 mkiii T about 3 weeks ago and have been driving it daily since. It has a few things done, none really that affect the car internally. The turbo was upgraded to ct-26 .50 unclipped. Also the engine was rebuilt by jasper performance about 20-22k miles ago. Im going to mention a few of the quirks iv been having lately, see if any sound familiar to you guys. Iv read around on other peoples posts but none really seem to be parallel with mine.

First- Lately with the temp here in wisconsin being about 3deg right now and in the morning when i get off work at 6am, around -2, im not having cold start issues but it does take about 5 seconds of cranking to turn over. Afterwards it idles fine at about 1000k rpms. BUT my oil pressure sits at about 5psi, and then when it warms up moves to about 15-20. When im on the freeway it moves up to about 30psi. Now it is my understanding that it should be doing the opposite. Probably should be around 60psi on start and around 20 on idle after warm up, around 40 on freeway, 60 under load.

Also- Not today but the day before, today it worked fine, but the other day, my engine wouldnt boost. It was as the wastegate was stuck open or something. It wouldnt boost past -1 - 0. It was as the computer was telling the wastegate NO! But it didnt do it today.

Other things.
The other day i got stuck in some snow, with no help around just ended up rev'ing my way out. Eventually got out after about 5-10mins of spinning. After that my temp was about 3/4 the way up, not on the H, but coolant was pissingg out of the resivoir for a while. I just refilled it and the coolant level hasnt changed since. But i noticed once i turned the car off for a short period after that, i went to start it about 10 mins later and she didnt want to idle afte that. After i drove it for about 2 blocks and let the radiator catch some air, it idled fine at the next stop sign. I know that was very douche-bag-ish but i assume i didnt do any damage.

Now im noticing that my boost is about 2-3 psi less than it was before, so im guessing i have some sort of boost leak somewhere.

Oh yea and lately it sounds like it has a slight miss, and idles kinda funny from 600-650 rpms. Not that bad but id does it occasionally. Sometimes it will just sit at 600 feeling a little rough.

Anything sound like its leading to something? I was thinking maybe when i did the snow thing i blew the oil-passage to cylender part of my HG and when the car is running the gasses are pressurizing in the oil system which is cause the oil pressure to be so low, because it is back pressuring the oil sending unit. Another thing to lead me to believe this is when i take the oil cap off when its running i hear a little pssh pssh pssh like pressureized air in coming in timed intervals. I dont know about you all but i dont think there should be pressurized air in my valve cover . Kind of a long shot but not a bad guess.

Please give me feedback!

Thanks, Tony.
Kuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:25 AM   #2
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road

With out a hands on diagnosis, I don't know if you will get a close enough guestimate to help.

You can do all the usual checking to eliminate some things.

Check for codes.
Check all the intake hoses, and vacuum lines.
Etc.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Kuban is on a distinguished road

All problems fixed. Seems i was about 3 quarts low on full senthetic . On top of that one of the upper intake rubber boots was damn near cracked in half. Got the power back, got the oil pressure back. Idle is fine. Little rough but i also notice theres a little bit of oil recircing through the pcv into the intake leakin a bit of oil into the engine. Ill get a catch can and that will be solved aswell.
Kuban is offline   Reply With Quote