Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
whitequasimodo
3" Exhaust

whitequasimodo is on a distinguished road
Default whats this

hey justed wanted to ask what this is and also on an 88 turbo, what the normal oil pressure. i have a nock sensor going off and im not getting any oil pressure. so im putting two together, and thinking thats why im not getting any pressure. o i do get pressure when the turbo kicks in but it goes up than just goes down when its not active. the pressure line is just above the bottom.

and last but not lest what does it mean when the turbo starts and your car seams to stutter befor u get full boost?

thanks

whitequasimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
dcrusupra
500whp yet?

dcrusupra is on a distinguished road

The oil pressure always stays relatively low compared to other cars. I think idle is around 6 and driving goes from 30 to 40. If its not reading at all, then ur oil pressure sending switch went bad. Ur knock sensor will go bad at some point and it will turn the check engine light on. Get the rewiring kit and rewire it and ur good to go. And the things circled in the picture are for ur headlights. If you take the rubber caps off and turn the red things left or right, ur headlights will go up and down manually. Very slowly I might add.

EDIT - I forgot to answer the last one lol, it sounds like a slight boost leak.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
whitequasimodo
3" Exhaust

my oil gauge is good cuz a month ago was in the middle line below the 4 as time went by the pressure went down. it shoots up when the turbo goes. i think its because of the nock. im getting it fixed this week. i talked to my mechanic and he said that the reason i don’t get any pressure is because of the nock. im spending 1000 to get it fixed.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #4
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

At idle oil pressure should be more than 4.3 psi.

At 3000rpm it should be between 36-71 psi.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitequasimodo
hey justed wanted to ask what this is and also on an 88 turbo, what the normal oil pressure. i have a nock sensor going off and im not getting any oil pressure. so im putting two together, and thinking thats why im not getting any pressure. o i do get pressure when the turbo kicks in but it goes up than just goes down when its not active. the pressure line is just above the bottom.
When you say “ i have a nock sensor going off ” are you saying you can here a knocking sound or are you referring to the knock sensors not working? If you can hear a knocking sound about 2 K revs with low oil pressure than I would guess the big ends are on their way out. Remove the oil filter and open it up, if it looks like the one below than I'm afraid its big ends and possibly the crank have had it.
Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

There are two parts to the oil pressure reading system. One is the guage and the other is the sending unit. The guage of course that thing in the dash that says oil pressure, but the sending unit is screwed into the block and has a wire on it that sends the pressure amount to the guage. Replace the sending unit, any parts store, and then check your pressure reading.

As for the knock, well like was said before, you may have a rod knocking, especially if your oil pressure really IS low. That means rebuild and much more than $1000.00. The knock sensors for the car are much cheaper and can be replaced easily, well the front one anyway, The rear one is a bitch, but can be replaced with patience and a lot of swearing. I did them on my turbo without removing the starter or the intake. But all that should cost well UNDER $1000.00 even if you buy new knock sensors from the dealer and have them install them. So get a second opinion about the knock before spending the money.

Let us know.

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:51 AM   #7
whitequasimodo
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill UK
When you say “ i have a nock sensor going off ” are you saying you can here a knocking sound or are you referring to the knock sensors not working? If you can hear a knocking sound about 2 K revs with low oil pressure than I would guess the big ends are on their way out. Remove the oil filter and open it up, if it looks like the one below than I'm afraid its big ends and possibly the crank have had it.
well when i was going home today my car just stopped. coolent went everywere and it shut itself down. after i got it towed to my dads shop i cranked it over and it started and the hole car started to shake and the nock too, but with a thunk thunk sound. i think it gave way. but when i pull it out ill post how much damage i did to it. hope i didnt f-up the top end since i just got that fixed.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:55 AM   #8
whitequasimodo
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoswal
There are two parts to the oil pressure reading system. One is the guage and the other is the sending unit. The guage of course that thing in the dash that says oil pressure, but the sending unit is screwed into the block and has a wire on it that sends the pressure amount to the guage. Replace the sending unit, any parts store, and then check your pressure reading.

As for the knock, well like was said before, you may have a rod knocking, especially if your oil pressure really IS low. That means rebuild and much more than $1000.00. The knock sensors for the car are much cheaper and can be replaced easily, well the front one anyway, The rear one is a bitch, but can be replaced with patience and a lot of swearing. I did them on my turbo without removing the starter or the intake. But all that should cost well UNDER $1000.00 even if you buy new knock sensors from the dealer and have them install them. So get a second opinion about the knock before spending the money.

Let us know.

Russ
the 1000 was a guess on how much. what im going to do is take the lower end out and send it to the machine shop to get resided and fixed it. then im going to get a rod kit and replace the crank, baring too