Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-11-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
MysticKnight
Stock

MysticKnight is on a distinguished road
Question What's the value of a 1989 Toyota Supra?

I've happily owned a Supra for 15 years. I purchased a 1989 Toyota Supra when it was only 2 years old and I still own it today.

2 weeks ago, I decided it was time to buy a new car so I purchased the Lexus IS 250. Unfortunately, that means it's time to sell the Supra. The problem is, I've had a hard time figuring out how much the Supra is worth.

The paint is original and it's in good condition all things considered. The interior doesn't have any major flaws and the engine runs great. The shocks don't keep the hood up, there's a very slow water leak and the heater doesn't work, but that's about it.

Here are a few photos...

Here's a side-by-side photo with my new car...

With all that said, does anyone have any advice about what it's worth?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Bill
MysticKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
tone loc
20psi boost

tone loc is on a distinguished road

looks pretty i would say $2000-$3000 if its stock n/a automatic
tone loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

Spudboy is on a distinguished road

I think in your So. Cal. area you should be able to get 3k to 4k if your willing and able to take your time selling. I hear these Supra's are getting popular with tuner/drifter kids too. Go to any auto part store and order the hood pistons. Easy to replace and wont give a bad impression when potential buyers are looking under the hood being held up with a 2x4.

I'll give you 2K CASH TODAY! I live in Big Bear Lake. Seriously. I have same color 1988 turbo, I'm original owner. Have a 16 year old boy I could give yours for x-mas. I would need to fix the heater right away for big bear and that is expensive.

How many miles on it?

Last edited by Spudboy; 12-23-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
kwnate
SP58GT

kwnate is on a distinguished road

Ask 2700, except any offer over 2000.

kwnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:50 AM   #5
Monkey
3" Exhaust

Monkey is on a distinguished road

Go to NADA.com or KBB.com. They'll tell you what the car is worth. I use KBB.com. That's Kelly Blue Book, for those of you that don't know. I don't remember What NADA stands for.
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:54 AM   #6
sportriderseattle
3" Exhaust

sportriderseattle is on a distinguished road

I'd never use NADA or KBB as a rule only a very loose guide. Better advise is to do a search on ebay, your local newspaper and autotrader and see what other cars are selling for in your own area. Good luck with your sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
Go to NADA.com or KBB.com. They'll tell you what the car is worth. I use KBB.com. That's Kelly Blue Book, for those of you that don't know. I don't remember What NADA stands for.
sportriderseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
MysticKnight
Stock

Thanks for the help everyone. It sold the first week that I put it online at AutoTrader. I ended up selling it for $2,000. I think I could have sold it for more if I waited, but I didn't have anywhere to keep it.

Catch ya later, Bill
Old 01-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticKnight
Thanks for the help everyone. It sold the first week that I put it online at AutoTrader. I ended up selling it for $2,000. I think I could have sold it for more if I waited, but I didn't have anywhere to keep it.

Catch ya later, Bill
Kelly Blue Book on your car estimated 100k miles in fair condition, (yours may be better), is about US $2,700.00.

I think we would all agree it is worth more and we should ask more for our cars if we are dumb enough to sell them. (no offence Bill)

These cars are becoming collectable as is apparrent through the very positive comments I get from strangers when they see mine. Not to mention they were way ahead of the times in the late '80's and still a competitive car now.

I think 4k on the car you just sold would have been fair. (even though I would have stole it from you unfairly for 2k given the chance...everybody would)

Let's help each other and start asking more if we must sell.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
MysticKnight
Stock

No offense taken at all. When I decided to sell, I told my wife I should just put it in a garage somewhere and forget about it. Unfortunately, I just didn't have anywhere to put it.

I even through around the idea of putting 2 or 3 thousand into it and fixing it up instead of buying a new car, but I just don't have the time for that.

Catch ya later, Bill
Old 01-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticKnight
No offense taken at all. When I decided to sell, I told my wife I should just put it in a garage somewhere and forget about it. Unfortunately, I just didn't have anywhere to put it.

I even through around the idea of putting 2 or 3 thousand into it and fixing it up instead of buying a new car, but I just don't have the time for that.

Catch ya later, Bill
I had a similar dilemma. Moved to Big Bear in summer of 2000 and blew head gasket the day we moved. Rented house while building new house and left Supra outside for 2 years just sitting. It wasn't worth any money but I decided for about 5k I could resurrect it. Since I am original owner, had only 65k miles with NO problems until BHG, and I couldn't get anything nearly as nice for 5k (plus I now have a garage for it) I fixed BHG, all new rubber belts/hose, and quality paint...5k later it was like new. Now it's my hobby car/daily driver/semi-race car. I have put about another 3k so far into TEIN Flex coilovers and wheel/tires. Next will be more HP with intake and exhaust. Then who knows. I will try and resist doing any serious engine mods as to not ruin the car or go too far from it's original state. I use the track mainly as a 'test' track to try out suspension set-ups and refine my driving skills. The fun really comes in surprising newer cars who try and stay with me up or down the mountain.

Maybe someday you will have a garage and hopefully another Supra or similar 'Toy'.

Good luck and remember..."If you have NO FEAR...you're not going fast enough"