Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
Monkey
3" Exhaust

Monkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportriderseattle
I'd never use NADA or KBB as a rule only a very loose guide. Better advise is to do a search on ebay, your local newspaper and autotrader and see what other cars are selling for in your own area. Good luck with your sale.

NADA and KBB are much more nationally known and much more highly credited than egay, your local newspaper, and autotrader. I don't trust ebay for accurate resale figures, because it's a bidding site. Your local paper doesn't have accurate resale info because it's used for advertising, not quoting accurate prices, and autotrader is just that. It's for advertising a massive listing of autos for sale or trade. It's not accurate. Again, i reiterate. NADA and KBB are the nation standard for accurate care resale values. Apparantely you've never really used an Nada or KBB book or been to either of their sites, before. Thank you, drive through.
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

Spudboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
NADA and KBB are much more nationally known and much more highly credited than egay, your local newspaper, and autotrader. I don't trust ebay for accurate resale figures, because it's a bidding site. Your local paper doesn't have accurate resale info because it's used for advertising, not quoting accurate prices, and autotrader is just that. It's for advertising a massive listing of autos for sale or trade. It's not accurate. Again, i reiterate. NADA and KBB are the nation standard for accurate care resale values. Apparantely you've never really used an Nada or KBB book or been to either of their sites, before. Thank you, drive through.
The problem with NADA and KBB when dealing with cars almost 20 years old like some of ours, is their prices are being established using formulas and statisitics based on questions asked by stiffs at insurance companies and banks. We are getting into a grey area when pricing 'classic' and 'collectable' cars like these MKIII"S are (hopefully) becoming. I feel we are at that threshold and pricing our MKIII's is no longer as cut and dry as NADA or KBB.

We, as owners, have the potential NOW to start establishing the true values. It seems like a buyers market for sure if MysticKnight let his pretty clean ride go for only 2k. The fact is, we all know they're worth more so ignore NADA and KBB and let us current owners decide what they're worth.
Spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:11 AM   #13
sportriderseattle
3" Exhaust

sportriderseattle is on a distinguished road

MONKEY:I understand what you may be thinking, however take it from an insurance adjuster, who appraises cars on a daily bases, that NADA and KBB are only guides of averages, originally designed for dealership purposes, thus they can not reflect any real car prices. As an insurance car appraiser, or a privately hired car appraiser, they use ACTUAL REAL cars that are currently for sale in a given geographical area. The comps that are compared are found using dealer stock cars and private party cars, which are only found in sources such as newspapers, autotrader and even ebay. The problem found with NADA and KBB is that the price that is given is nearly always very low for cars that are approaching 20 years old. There's also the issue of supply and demand. Certain geographic locations have a much higher demand for certain cars thus the value is higher than say a Supra in Alaska as compared to California. NADA and KBB are only truely effective for newer cars, say within about five years of the manufacture date since these are the cars that have the largest supply at car dealerships for obtaining the data to compile the data for the prices in the NADA and KBB. Lastly, you might also think more carefully next time about making accusations about ones lack of knowledge on a subject before you make such statements without any objective information. No offense taken here, just a recommendation to you in the future. Best Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey

Last edited by sportriderseattle; 01-12-2007 at 05:20 AM.
sportriderseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #14
sd88supra
3" Exhaust

sd88supra is on a distinguished road

i got $5k when a repair shop whose name will not be mentioned *cough* FIRESTONE *cough* wrecked my 87 n/a that was completely stock. 108k miles. but, i am in san diego, so it would have been much less elsewhere. firestone's insurance company is based in chicago and they offered me $2200 because they claimed thats what they sold for in the chicago area. i sent them ads where they ranged from $4.5k-$6.5k (in conditions similar to mine) and even KBB was higher than what they offered (and the supra has been going up lately). i told them if they found a similar one to mine (manual tranny, low miles, excellent condition), shipped it to me and paid for my CA registration, i'd call it even. the assholes paid up.

if you are in So Cal, you can get a decent amount if yours is in good shape. i sold my 86.5 n/a 5 speed for $2.5k, and it did have a few issues. i could have probably gotten $3k but i had to sell it quick. and remember, an n/a automatic will always have a lesser value than one with a manual tranny and/or turbo(given that theyre in similar condition). although KBB gives a higher value for automatics, sports car enthusiasts will not pay up.
sd88supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
futuremason4301
Stock

futuremason4301 is on a distinguished road
Cool

If you have owned it and its paid for keep it man! slap some historic tags on it to lower insurence. its nice
futuremason4301 is offline   Reply With Quote