Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-31-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default Timing Knock or tap

After setting the timing on my Red Supra exactly as instructed, I can now hear the same head knock or tap that is in my black one but not nearly as bad. It wasn't heard before setting the timing. Is setting the timing the same for N/A and Turbo?

Has anyone else experienced a head tap or knock that is associated with the timing? I got a PM telling me that this person placed a washer behind his distributer postion lock bolt and this took the sound away.

My car just got a new timing belt. The timing was way advanced after install. Now it checks out going to 12 degrees after the jumper is removed and is at 10 degrees with the jumper in.

Any thoughts or experience on this?
Also I see people on this forum saying they are running at 20 degrees instead of 10 or 12. What does this do to the motor? Is this a Turbo spec and not for an N/A?

Could a slow idle setting cause a head noise? Thanks, Scott

Last edited by batmmannn; 05-31-2010 at 05:37 AM.
batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have time to cover all of this right now.... but here's some:

Leave the timing at 10* (both NA and turbo) the ECU adds timing on it's own. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=IG&P=20

The washer thing the other person mentioned probably worked due to a worn dizzy drive gear... leave it alone.

The injectors on these cars are LOUD, one source of common paranoia is often the injectors... They're just built that way. Another source of light tapping noises is excessive valve lash, search "valve shim" or "valve shim adjustment" for more on that matter.

There is a HUGE difference between injector noise and valve noise and knock and a header exhaust leak. The latter two are considerably deeper.

I recommend everyone purchase an automotive stethoscope to add to their tool kit... they're invaluable when it comes to tracking down noises.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
turbonicsperformance
3" Exhaust

turbonicsperformance is on a distinguished road

when you set your timing did you tighten the dist bolt alot i had another one doing the same thing today at work making the same noise as soon as i loosened the dist bolt it went away it was loose when he came in so i shimmed the dist with a very thin washer and the noise is gone ill try and post some pics or a vid tomorrow to show you exactly what i mean
92 miata 7mgte swap forged pistons,studded mhg, 3 inch dp with a glass pack,blowthrough MAF-T,550cc inj, act stage 2 clutch, fmic kit, greddy rs, full wire tuck, rx7 lsd rear with 4.10s. 15psi "ct26-A"??(waiting on dyno #s) if anyone knows whats up with my turbo let me know it has a larger comp wheel nicer machining and 6 dual fins rather than 5? its confusing and keep finding too much contradicting info. would LLLLLOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEE a compressor map
turbonicsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:56 AM   #4
batmmannn
12psi boost

Default Valve lash

Thank you Cre, on my red one you can't even hear it with the hood closed. My black Supra as you have seen in the video is another story.

Well I am happy you chimed in cause I was going to put the Plenum back on and then try that washer thing.

Anyway, mine started suddenly on the black one so I figure I might as well pull those cams off and take a look.

Will look those terms up when I get to that. I am putting a big ol Fat can on my Red car now. Will go take some pics for ya.

Anyone know what size can this is? What Brand? No markings ion it and I got from some kid in a parking lot for 10 or 20 bucks. It has a real deep throat sound. Low budget 101 here ....will do for now. I got that black aluminum strap hanger from Home depot plumbing supplies, a few clamps and a hacksaw and I seem to be in business. Have a couple things to seal up cause of the old pipe not being the best but I think this will work out fine for now. It seems to be what everyone is putting on these cars and lord and behold I have one in the garage already.... go figure that!

Just trying to make it through WV Inspection

Full Throttle Thanks for posting we must have been posting at the same time. Yeah a Video would be great! Thanks !

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	can1.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	3090   Click image for larger version

Name:	can2.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	3091   Click image for larger version

Name:	can4.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	3092   Click image for larger version

Name:	can5.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	3093   Click image for larger version

Name:	can6.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	3094  

Last edited by batmmannn; 06-02-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
turbonicsperformance
3" Exhaust

turbonicsperformance is on a distinguished road

not sure on the brand but i did my exhaust today also it looks pretty good but turned out at mor of an angle than i thought it would im running full 3 inch straight tube from the y pipe back i cut out the 2 inch connected to the y and went from there to right behind my rear end with 100% straight stainless then 1 30 degree bend to my muffler i have a total of 8.5 feet of exhaust from my y pipe back lol it sounds pretty mean and going to the 3 got rid of the "rice" raspy sound

but yeah ill post pics up and i really doubt its your valve spring if you want you could call tomorrow or something and ill tighten and loosen my dist and see if thats the same noise you have
92 miata 7mgte swap forged pistons,studded mhg, 3 inch dp with a glass pack,blowthrough MAF-T,550cc inj, act stage 2 clutch, fmic kit, greddy rs, full wire tuck, rx7 lsd rear with 4.10s. 15psi "ct26-A"??(waiting on dyno #s) if anyone knows whats up with my turbo let me know it has a larger comp wheel nicer machining and 6 dual fins rather than 5? its confusing and keep finding too much contradicting info. would LLLLLOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEE a compressor map
turbonicsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:20 AM   #6
batmmannn
12psi boost

Default That noise

I am sure it would be hard to tell if its the same sound over the phone. Cre seems to doubt thats my problem but my timing must be retarded cause I did not use the jumper when I timed it before. It sure would be sweet if that would fix it but unfortunately my luck isn't usually that good.

How long are those all aluminum pipes and systems supposed to last? They don't rust correct? Do they out last conventional pipes? Do thsy have lifetime replacement warranties?

Hey Guys check out the sound of my exhaust Mod! What do you think? Scott

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlB-kKNZvWo

Last edited by batmmannn; 06-03-2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Add Video