Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
ithinkitwassumthini8
Stock

ithinkitwassumthini8 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation No Signal to Fuel Injector

I have an 88 non-turbo project I am just starting. Had a local shop install a JDM 7MGE as old motor had 212k and blew a head gasket. To make a long story short, the shop messed up something with the electrical system and now have no signal to #2 injector. They also replaced the distributor with used one and said the fusible link in the under hood fuse panel started smoking when they started the car but I don't trust them. I got screwed - the car had no electrical problems prior. Took it to a dealership who confirmed but I didn't want to spend the mucho dinero they said it would take to fully diagnose and repair the problem. Car runs on 5 cylinders (obviously not very well) Can anyone tell me what the most likely cause or where the best place to start with no pulse signal to just one injector. It has spark to all cylinders and everything else works. No codes in the computer. Have looked at the TSRM and am ready to go through everything including testing the ECU - just looking for the best place to start or most likely cause - this could take a while and am hoping to save time. Hellllp Please - I've already spent $2400 on this - arghhh. I have found on another site as well as looking at the wiring diagram from the TSRM that the injectors fire in groups of 2 (ie #1&#2 go off at the same time) so if I am getting signal to #1 but not #2 wouldn't that have to be just wiring - it is tough to get to but can that wiring be repaired? Replacing the whole wiring harness doesn't really appear to be a fun job.

PS - can't seem to find anything specific on this in any posts.

Last edited by ithinkitwassumthini8; 09-09-2006 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Found more info
ithinkitwassumthini8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road
Wink Check it yourself first

Many shops have assholes working in them. They do marginal work at best, and don't want to fess up to the problems THEY create, from their sloppy work.

The dealer is high to begin with, and any shop will give you a high estimate to repair some other shops screwup. That's because they are afraid of the BIG CAN OF WORMS they're likely to encounter.

I HAVE TO charge more for those jobs to cover my ass on those BIG screw ups. It usually takes a lot more time figuring out where the other shop went wrong, than if it had never been touched. But if we find and repair the problem quickly, I pass the savings on to the customer, and tell them to bring their car to me from then on.

So....
If you are NOT getting a pulse to just one injector, I'd say its the wiring going to that one. If you are getting a pulse to all the injectors, then I'd say you have a plugged one, or its bad.

Pulse can be tested with an injector 'noid' light. You can get one from a tool truck, or good auto store or here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-4-Piece-Fuel...QQcmdZViewItem

You can learn how to use it from here....
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...c/2593311.html
Old 09-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
ithinkitwassumthini8
Stock

ithinkitwassumthini8 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Injector Wiring

Thanks - just called the local NAPA and they have the test lights on hand - will test the thing myself.

So would I be correct in understanding the pulse goes to two injectors simultaneously? That's what the wiring diagram would lead one to believe. Being so, logic would dictate it has to be in the wiring.

Yeah - I thought from the looks of the shop and everything up front I would get some quality work done - got it back and half the connectors on the wiring harness are broken, upper brackets to manifold missing (said they were never on there, stereo face missing, all the change gone from the ash tray - etc. etc. etc. They kind of have you by the balls though.

If anyone knows a some place to find a new wiring harness (88 non-turbo 5 speed) reasonably priced, I'm all ears. Also if anyone knows of a reputable shop in the Portland OR area, I'm all ears. Can do most mechanical work myself - way at home with a small block Chevy but am still learning these Japanese motors and electronics - big learning curve - these forums have been wonderful! Thanks everyone for your participation!!!!

Supras Rock!!!!
ithinkitwassumthini8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road
Angry Line 'em up !

I HATE shops like that. I would like to shoo......well I better not say, because the internet is bugged, and then they'll send ME to Guantanimo Bay.

and the shop owner IS the real asshole, because he still keeps the idiot mechanic that fucked the car up.