Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-05-2004, 11:11 PM   #1
Kyle

I have an 1987 Supra Turbo, and the other day i was driving it. i was in second gear and my RPM's just droped, so i went to first gear and it just died. when i had an jeep wrangler and i used to go off roading it used to do the same when i got it all soaken wet. I've check all the fuses, checked the coil, even tried to put ether in the intake to see if it start and it wont. It will turn over like it normal does and it's not fast. It has pressure because it doesn't turn fast. i have no idea what it could be, it just doesn't wanna run. plz help thank you
Kyle
Old 06-14-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
suprra_girl

hey Kyle,

have you tried a diagnostic on your supra? get a piece of wire and jump TE1 & E1 and turn the car over to ignition and count how many times the engine check light flashes, if you have any probs feel free to email me spite_girl@hotmail.com
also see if you can borrow an air flow meter from another supra and see if that helps
what sort of supra do you have?
another idea would be to reset the ecu... pull out the main fuse and the efi fuse for about 30seconds and then put them back in and try to start the car

i would suggest doing a diagnostic first

hope this helps

Cheers

Suze
Old 06-23-2004, 12:55 AM   #3
Guest_Supra00

:huh:
Look i had the same proble as well. I was driving on the high way and my car just died. If you take to the mechanics they will probly say there is nothing wrong, but it may have something to do with your gear box changing from gear to gear.

Hope this help u heaps

Supra00 :blink:
Old 06-23-2004, 08:43 AM   #4
suprra_girl

ok knowing supras and it being an 87 it is most likely an automatic... how a gearbox changing from gear to gear by itself causing the car to die i don't know, i have never in all my experience heard of this, either he has blown off a vacuum hose or got a leak after the air flow meter causing erratic idle
also another very good idea would be to check your cambelt, when was the last time it was replaced? has it snapped?

check your diagnostics first and check your cambelt, check for leaks, replace air flow meter if still no luck reset the ecu

Cheers

Suze
Old 06-23-2004, 08:56 AM   #5
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

oh yea by your statement i am quite confused as to what supra you have
it sounds like it is a manual supra but you also mention that you checked the "coil" not "coilpacks" which suggests a 1ggte but you also mention that you have a "supra turbo" no "twin turbo" which suggests it could be a 7mgte lol
when you finally log back on do tell us what supra you have

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 07:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle@May 5 2004, 11:11 PM
I have an 1987 Supra Turbo, and the other day i was driving it. i was in second gear and my RPM's just droped, so i went to first gear and it just died. when i had an jeep wrangler and i used to go off roading it used to do the same when i got it all soaken wet. I've check all the fuses, checked the coil, even tried to put ether in the intake to see if it start and it wont. It will turn over like it normal does and it's not fast. It has pressure because it doesn't turn fast. i have no idea what it could be, it just doesn't wanna run. plz help thank you
Kyle
heeey people!!! where u? h34r:
Old 08-07-2004, 09:35 AM   #7
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

hey "guest"
if ur asking where in the world
i'm in NZ
and yourself?

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 08-07-2004, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by suprra_girl@Aug 7 2004, 09:35 AM
hey "guest"
if ur asking where in the world
i'm in NZ
and yourself?
i'm from Africa :unsure:
Old 08-08-2004, 06:48 AM   #9
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

good stuff are you are supra enthusiast, do you own one, what sort ?

Pics of my build.

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 08-23-2004, 08:46 PM   #10
slowhondaowner
Stock

slowhondaowner is on a distinguished road

Ok, I want you to do this. Pull out a sparkplug and attach the wire to it. Have someone turn the car over, check for spark. Im thinking that your having a problem related to the distribitor/ecu/ignition. I beleive the 1987 is a OBD1 system or a OBD0 (It doesnt matter if its 0 or 1). Im not sure where the 1987 Toyota Supra ecu is located at, but if when your turning your car over and the check engine light is on, you should be able to look at the ecu for a data code. _____ =10 __=1 _______ _______ __ __ __= 23 thats the blinking pattern, it will repeat over and over. Record the code and try to look it up or ask someone with knowledge on the Toyota trouble/error codes, it should lead you to the problem.

"check your cambelt, when was the last time it was replaced? has it snapped?"

The cam belt would cause the valves to stay open, it will make a horrible sound and the engine will shut-off, when you break a cam belt a.k.a. timing belt you will know about it.

If by "replace air flow meter " im guessing your talking about the MAF (Mass air flow sensor), it can be a posibility, If your not pressed for time to get your supra fixed i can try to find a diagnostic flow chart to test the MAF sensor, or you can possibly find one in the Haynes/Chilton manual- Also those manuals usualy have the error codes and what they mean.

Reseting the ecu would not hurt at all, disconect the Negative (-) cable for a period of 30 seconds or more, this will clear all of your Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTC's.

Id like to tell you that you can just change a filter and it would be ok but theres alot of testing to find which of the many possible problems is the Real problem, thats why im in highschool becoming a automotive tech.

something to do with your gear box changing from gear to gear.

Neutral saftey switch, its unlikly but its a possibilty.

'get a piece of wire and jump TE1 & E1 and turn the car over to ignition and count how many times the engine check light flashes'

Thats how some of the older GM's did their check engine lights, ive never done it before, ive never encountered a pre 92 Toyota DTC.
slowhondaowner is offline   Reply With Quote