Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #31
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road

jus giv me this:
what would you guys need to upgrade when upgrading from n/a to turbo

from 7mge to 7mgte

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #32
theWeezL
12psi boost

theWeezL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2NR
jus giv me this:
what would you guys need to upgrade when upgrading from n/a to turbo

from 7mge to 7mgte
I would need a.....7MGTE, harness, and an ECU.

To be honest I dont know much about turbos, Ive never owned one and all my automotive knowledge has come from my own personal experience. I learn by doing.

But, one way to figure out what you would need to do is to find an aftermarket turbo upgrade kit for at least a similiar engine, and duplicate all the parts they include. then figure out a way to fab them all in to your system, and make it work.

Here is the thing, I know what your trying to use and trying to accomplish, I think that while its feasable to do, in the end your going to have to spend nearly as much as just buying the pieces and parts from a real turbo system and putting em all together, and your end result will be an inferior system that will lack drivability and could possible damage your engine.

Having said that, I still wish you the best of luck with it and I really hope that Im wrong. My goal for my Sup' is to add in MORE drivability with things like better brakes, better suspension, more gadgets and things like that. Im quite happy with my performance the way it is.

Eagles may soar, but weezl's never get sucked into jet engines!

theWeezL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:37 PM   #33
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

when i first started this thread, i was jus actually going for a 10 - 20 hp addition and maybe better gas mileage

but now, i am actually gonna use this idea to make a hybrid system,
im gonna try to get a turbonetics ball bearing turbo kit with intercooler
or maybe the hks ball bearing one
dunt know which one is better , yall get back at me with that

but a hybrid system will have instantaneous boost
and hopefully, it'll work, like i said i got a lot riding on this
this car is also my daily driver , and my project thats why i cant screw up

one step at a time
and everybody get ready to be askd this types of silly ideas in the future cuz im still here

Old 06-15-2006, 02:51 PM   #34
theWeezL
12psi boost

theWeezL is on a distinguished road

I thought of one other thing you might want to incorporate. it would take a little engineering but you should use a rheostat to vary the motor so you can generate boost at different openings of the throttle. This would increase your drivability immensly.

my suggestion for doing that is to look straight down at the top of your throttle cable where it connects to hard linkage just before your throttle body. See how it is a pulling motion converted to rotational force? It would be very easy to adapt in a potentiometer at that point and feed the signal back to your electric motor. in a sence you could make that potentiometer mount variable, so with the twist of a dial you could raise or lower your boost at will.

One other concern I had was does the motor your thinking of using have a freewheel ability? If no voltage is being applied to it can air be drawn through it? if not you will need to build into your system a one way bypass valve. Something like a diaphram that will allow air to be drawn through it when there is no air being supplied by your motor, and will close down when the motor starts to insure your "boost" isnt being leaked off through your intake.

an AFM is sort of like this, but I was trying to think of something more elegant but cant come up with any ideas right off the top. Basically all you need is a spring loaded door that when closed will seal off the system but when suction is applied allows air to flow freely. Something from a climate control system maybe?

Eagles may soar, but weezl's never get sucked into jet engines!

theWeezL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:49 AM   #35
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

Just one question....is it an AC motor? because if so it will not work. Some brushed ac motors will even run off of dc, But will not go very fast. About 10 times less than operating speed. Because your dc is only 12-15 volts. And an inverter cant handle running an electric motor for very long. Plus they are just inefficient. If you really want, I could wire up a board that would work off the TPS to modulate a speed control signal. Youd need a sperate electronic speed controller though
Old 06-16-2006, 06:44 AM   #36
f00g00
12psi boost

f00g00 is on a distinguished road

Thats why exhaust drive (Turbo) or belt drive (supercharger) make so much better sense as they manually go with RPM and then all you have to do is get the fuel air mixture right which could end up costing thousands scince no one makes an aftermarket kit for the NA as far as I know. If your trying to do both electrically then I suggest an engineering degree and a lot of research before attempting it.
It sounds as if your trying to compensate by putting in bigger injectors and hoping the stock ECU will still work, but what happens when your not under boost and the bigger injectors make it too rich?
f00g00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:49 PM   #37
Isphius
500whp yet?

Ive heard you can use some of the aftermarket piggyback fuel computers with the stock NA, But it will still run too rich off boost. But nost as much as just stuffing the bigger injectors in.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #38
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

ovbiously this is a bigger project than i thought, wow, but can u guys imagine the possiblities of this think, an electric turbocharger? no waiting for spool up time, you dont hav to b at a high rev to use the full potential of a turbo, the boost can even be speed variable,

if only i had the money to develop this

Old 06-16-2006, 10:55 PM   #39
joel w
Lexus & 550's

joel w is on a distinguished road

There is not much lag if your turbo is set up right..I have 13psi of boost at 2200 rpm on an upgraded CT-26 all the way to redline.

Some guys run a small turbo for low RPM and a larger turbo for the higher RPM..

I am back to wanting to use a small supercharger to spool a larger turbo for no lag and off idle boost.. Best of both worlds without the turbo slowing the exhaust flow through the head...

Or use them both together. Small supercharger and a big turbo..

Thats just my idea...

Last edited by joel williams; 06-17-2006 at 05:47 AM.
joel w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:17 AM   #40
Isphius
500whp yet?

Jet engines work kind of like that. They have a small electric or really small jet motor that spools up the larger motors so they can start. It wouldnt be hard to do that with a turbo. Youd actually pre pressurize the exhaust, And if thats what you were thinking of doing, Kudos. You would need a one way flapper valve kinda thing. Not hard to make. So exhaust gas doesnt come out when the pressure builds. Plus the motor would have to make more CFMs and pressure than the motor running at idle. You might be able to use parts off of a 2jz gte or a twin turbo rx7, cause they have valving like that for the sequential turbos.

Last edited by Isphius; 06-17-2006 at 02:20 AM.
Isphius is offline   Reply With Quote