Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-08-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
87TurboProject
Intake

87TurboProject is on a distinguished road
Question Strange Coolant Leak Help PLZ!!

I'm having a coolant leak on the drivers side of my engine about 1/3 of the way back on the bock under the aic.
I thought it may be the hg even though the engine had been rebuilt about 60k before I got it but there is no compression loss,no power loss or overheating and nothing in my oil.
I can see part of my block is wet and if I drive it for a while it will steam but I cannot see a leak I have replaced both uper and lower aic gaskets and while it was off looked with a mirror to see if I could tell where it was coming from and the head looked nicely mated with the block with no visible defects(head still shiney silverish and block was painted red.)
I am at a loss on this as I don't want to kill the car but I need to drive it to work and back and don't have the cash to go to a shop.
If someone could please help me I'd greatly appreciate it.
87TurboProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

Well there is a coolant hose running from under the intake around that area or that part of the intake gasket has gone, but probably the hose is my guess. It feeds the ISC then goes to the intake manifold then back to the left rear of the engine under the intake again. Or it could even be a freeze plug. They have been known to rust out from time to time.

Let us know.

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #3
87TurboProject
Intake

I found that coolant bypass line in the lower air intake manifold and I put a new gasket in (lower aic gasket.) and the hose didn't look bad at the time but I am going to change that out now and see if that helps.

There is no rust on the block at all just the paint and I can't see any leak but I'm no expert and in the time it takes me to rip the car down enough to see weee the heat from it has dried away any evidence and I can't find any residue spots left behind or anything.
Would the frost plugs be hard to change out?
And thanx alot for your advice I'll try the hose right off and go from there!
Old 03-09-2006, 02:09 AM   #4
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road

Freeze plugs are a bitch to change. Likely a hose or even the pipe that the hose connects to. use a mirror and flashlight to look under the intake.

The head gasket 'usually' doesn't leak out into the world on that side.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:31 AM   #5
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

A pressure tester is an almost must for finding leaks. Although kind of expensive, it saves you from burns and gives you more time to fine the leaks. Sometimes an autoparts store will let you rent one, but many times they don't have the adapter to fit the smaller radiator cap. More than likely it is that hose, but it is so crowded under that side, it is very hard to see.

What you might be able to do is get the car up on jack stands and let it run while looking at the engine from underneath. Just make sure the car is secure, preferrably both ends up.

Let us know.

Russ
Old 03-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
87TurboProject
Intake

I appreciate all you guys' help!

I am getting the new hose prob tommorow after work(today is my B-day so I'm half in the bag as I write this, I think you guys are right about it noyt being my hg though as tonight I ran the car further than ever to see if it would start to overheat or run low on coolant ect and nothing out of the ordinary and she performed great as always! after I sober up I'm goin to find that damn leak though it is irritating as hell I looked at the freeze plugs today but no sign of a leak from them either it is really confusing me as I don't have any Idea of what could be leaking on that side if not for one of those?!?!?!?!?!?

Well I'm going to go and drink some more and see if I can see three of everything instead of the two I'm seeing now !
Old 03-10-2006, 07:48 AM   #7
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

Pink elephant piss on the block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........lol Like I said before, pressure test it and get under the car to look at that side to find the leak and get a good light! I think there is a kit that lets you add stuff to the coolant and using a black light will let you easily see where the leaks are.

Russ
Old 03-13-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

location vermont.... is your car rhd or lhd?

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
87TurboProject
Intake

it's a normal lhd(if standing at the back looking at it)

tried from underneath but can't really see right there because of my lower a arms ect being in my way so I'm going to have to find a pressure tester or something I think.
I just lost the heat in it all of a sudden today(It blows but no hot air at all)
I got a new thermostat and will try that and see if it helps and then try to get the money for a pressure tester and see what I can find with that.
Thanx again for everyone's help this is my baby but I don't have the cash to do what she deserves and put her in the shop but all the help is a life saver.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:40 PM   #10
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

reason i asked is because depending on which you are then determines where water hoses and pipes are located in your engine

i would probly check the one under #1 intake runner
check the hoses going from the throttle body.... use your hand and follow them
do they have stains on them from leaks
are they currently leaking

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote