Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Scraperondubz
Stock

Scraperondubz is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Transmission Problems

I have a 1987 automatic n/a. Has been giving me trouble. When I start it up the idle is really high around (1500-1800) jumps into reverse gear when I shift but when I put it into drive it takes off like it is in overdrive (very slow). 2 acts as 3rd gear and low acts as 1st. It will not shift on its own. I replaced the ECT ECU and their has been no change. I attempted a transmission diagnosis but the light does nothing when I put the jumper wire in. The ect power, and o/d button do nothing accept turn the lights indicator on and off. The speedometer is also off and the cruise control doesn't work.
Transmission fluid level is good and has good color.
No check engine light is on I am clueless ass what to do next.
Any help is good help.
Scraperondubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Every part you're having trouble with requires a speed signal from the speedometer. Find which section of the speedometer cable is broken and replace it. It runs from the passenger side of the transmission up along the firewall and through the firewall at the rear of the engine.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Scraperondubz
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Every part you're having trouble with requires a speed signal from the speedometer. Find which section of the speedometer cable is broken and replace it. It runs from the passenger side of the transmission up along the firewall and through the firewall at the rear of the engine.
Ok so the speedometer works but the speed it reads is slightly off. Should I grab a speedo cable and a speed sensor?
Old 02-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
interested!
3" Exhaust

interested! is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperondubz View Post
I have a 1987 automatic n/a. Has been giving me trouble. When I start it up the idle is really high around (1500-1800) jumps into reverse gear when I shift but when I put it into drive it takes off like it is in overdrive (very slow). 2 acts as 3rd gear and low acts as 1st. It will not shift on its own. I replaced the ECT ECU and their has been no change. I attempted a transmission diagnosis but the light does nothing when I put the jumper wire in. The ect power, and o/d button do nothing accept turn the lights indicator on and off. The speedometer is also off and the cruise control doesn't work.
Transmission fluid level is good and has good color.
No check engine light is on I am clueless ass what to do next.
Any help is good help.

Hi! , You said the Transmission level is good , - Question ? , did you check this while the engine was running ? , the fluid is taken from the sump and enters the torque converter giving a lower reading than if checked with the engine stopped . Also take into consideration HOT and COLD reading levels .
interested! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
Scraperondubz
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested! View Post
Hi! , You said the Transmission level is good , - Question ? , did you check this while the engine was running ? , the fluid is taken from the sump and enters the torque converter giving a lower reading than if checked with the engine stopped . Also take into consideration HOT and COLD reading levels .

Yes I checked fluid while car was running and at operating temperature
Old 02-03-2014, 01:35 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, then I would go it by the book:

AT Computer Diagnosis
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Librar...aspx?S=AT&P=13

AT Service Manual
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Librar....aspx?S=AT&P=1
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote