Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
Dutchvelvet
Stock

Dutchvelvet is on a distinguished road
Default 1992 Supra turbo withdestroyed lower control arm bushing

I just bought a 1992 with the 7mgte motor. My son and I have decided to make this a project car. First order of business was to address the knocking/pulsing on the right side we felt upon braking.
I know how to put in disc brakes-pretty easy so we put in new rotors and brakes pads. NO improvement. Looking closer, I noticed the control arm(lower) bushings were basically gone. I have ordered the parts(polyurethane from Energy), but this appears to be a little more challenging ordeal with a 20 year old car and all the corrosion on hardware encountered. Does anyone have and wisdom they would like to share to shed light on the subject?

Thanks!
Dutchvelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

Taking apart the suspension is pretty straight forward. I would recommend soaking the nuts and bolts over night with penetrating fluid. My friend changed out all his bushing with polys. They need to be pressed in . Also polys are stiffer but the main problem is if you replace only a few you will be mixing new and old. It will most likely cause problems that way. I would recommend doing all of them if possible.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
interested!
3" Exhaust

interested! is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1992 supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907mge View Post
Taking apart the suspension is pretty straight forward. I would recommend soaking the nuts and bolts over night with penetrating fluid. My friend changed out all his bushing with polys. They need to be pressed in . Also polys are stiffer but the main problem is if you replace only a few you will be mixing new and old. It will most likely cause problems that way. I would recommend doing all of them if possible.
Hi! If the set-up is the same as my 1987 supra , the arms are fitted with adjustable camber bolts . I would advise taking photos of the settings of the bolts for rebuild . also , my bolts had seized completely and this job turned out to be a complete soab but attainable with a lot of patience and time , also the tracking will need to be checked afterwards .
interested! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend getting an alignment done anyway about it. The alignment may have been set since the bushings began to wear and setting the alignment bolts to the same position could still put the alignment a mile off with new bushings in place.

I also recommend you get the housings fitted with nipples for a grease gun. Urethane bushings need periodic lubrication or you may find the suspension has more creaks and groans than an old, haunted house after a year.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Dutchvelvet
Stock

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for all of the input,I will certainly take the advice when tackling this job.Just waiting on parts and service manual.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #6
Dutchvelvet
Stock

Default no go on lower control arm rear bushing

Hi all. Dug into this with my son and after 8 hours of frustration, we ended up with the last(rear) lower control arm bushing bolt frozen to the metal sleeve of the bushing. We used a torch(we had a fire for a while and almost a can of PB Blaster and a chisel, sledgehammer- the best we could with the short throw, but it wouldn't budge it. The only way we see this coming out is to sawzall the bolt out and replace it. Any ideas? The front bolt of the control arm came right out, and the rest of the bolts- lower ball joint, control arm link and brake hardware all came out without much of a fight. The rear bushing was the one that was terribly deteriorated and I am sure that has something to do with it. All was not lost, as my son learned a good deal of patience, which is a lost virtue among young people today.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, sawzall or an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel (if your angle grinder supports it)... The angle grinder is my preference.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 10-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Dutchvelvet
Stock

Default Lower control arm bolt-dealer only?

Thanks, that's what I was thinking but wanted to confirm. I am, however, having trouble sourcing the bolt I need. It is not standard issue. Where can I find this? Checked Rock Auto, Oreilly's, and suprastore.
Thanks
Old 10-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I think only going to find that at a Toyota dealership.

There are two different cam bolts used for the front and rear suspension.

Front: P/N 48190-14020 (Labeled as 'RR', cam/washer is 48198-14020) or 48190-14030 (Labeled as 'FR', cam/washer is 48198-14030), cam/washer P/N. I'm sure the first letter indicates 'Front' or 'Rear' but I don't recall there being a difference between Left and Right sides so I'm not sure what the extra 'R' indicates in the description in the EPC... Double check the part numbers with the dealer when ordering.

The front bolts should all run under $20 and the rear under $15. The cam/washer should be around $5.

Rear: P/N 48190-14010 for the bolt, if you need the cam/washer for the back side the p/n is 48198-50011 and you'll also need a nut.

A parts store like NAPA may be able to get you replacements if you can provide the Toyota part numbers.

Tip Jar --->