Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
icey756
3" Exhaust

icey756 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for new Oil Cooler and PS cooler

My stock oil cooler is pretty beat up for some reason and ive also heard that it is a shitty set up. So ive decided to invest in a new one before i reassemble my baby. (Just ordered Clevite bearings and mounts) Also i wouldnt mind replacing the PS cooler while im at it along with maybe the PS reservoir. But i dont know if its ok to just get some stuff off ebay or if i need specific parts. Horse power goal is about 500.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

This is a small start. I could swear I wrote a lot more on the subject in the past but I don't have the time to look for it right now. http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...il-cooler.html

The stock setup uses pressure not temperature to determine when to send oil through the cooler. It is also a bypass setup, meaning that it only sends a portion of the oil moving through the filter head to the cooler. All around it's a weak system. The preferred setup, I feel, is a full flow cooler setup with thermostat. You remove the whole filter head from the block of the engine. Install the N/A's oil filter nipple which allows you to place a filter or block adapter directly to the block without the larger filter head/cooler valve assembly. Run 1/2" or -10AN hose to a thermostat from both ports on the head (flow direction is labeled on all components usually). Then from the 3rd and 4th ports you run the hose the rest of the way to the cooler. You'll want to install the remote mount filter head in the line running from the block to the thermostat. Try to avoid using 90? fittings and tight bends of the hose to reduce pressure and flow losses. Always use filters with an anti-siphon valve (most have this).

For the power steering any 12" single row transmission rail cooler will work fine. Anything more will be a waste of space and money. If it has a lot of fins 12" is overkill already. Consider adding a filter to this line as well... Your engine, power steering, transmission AND cooling system deserve good filtering.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
icey756
3" Exhaust

icey756 is on a distinguished road

Ill have to wait till i get everything back together so i can visualize it better im thinking. What exactly would i use for a thermostat for this? I suppose there isnt some sort of kit i can buy and then just buy the hose separate.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The thermostat is a thermostatic bypass. In a full flow oil cooling system all of the engine's oil flows through the circuit. Just like engine coolant you don't want the oil too cool just as much as you don't want it too hot. The thermostat closes and bypasses the oil cooler if the oil temp is low. I don't know if anyone makes a kit. It's really a pretty simple setup if you don't over think it.

7M-GE oil filter nipple P/N 90404-20173 Replaces the whole filter head assembly from the GTE.
Oil filter block adapter
Remote oil filter head
Oil Thermostat
Cooler
Hoses and fittings

Everything needs to be either 1/2"NPT or -10AN.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
Piggy808
Stock

Piggy808 is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old post but I thought I would slip some related questions in:

I didn't know there was a stock oil cooler??? In any case I installed a remote filter...and an aftermarket oil cooler on the same lines back...so I went to go see where this stock oil cooler looks like. Its mounted on the right side of the radiator right? Anyways, since it operates on bypass...i was wondering if there are any benefits to just deleting it and maybe even using it as a replacement for my stock powersteering cooler so i can get rid of that long wierd thing of a cooler those japanese guys engineered. Or should it not be deleted? I just see it as more places for possible leaks.

CRE, you cut the hard pipes and ran hoses to your aftermarket PS cooler...was it pushlock hoses? anything special about them? I was under the impression that the pressure would pop off any type of hose, so braided lines is a must, even on the PS system. (I read that thread that you linked)
Mines ECU...soon to be megasquirt
3inch HKS
Dropped on K-sport coilovers
Piggy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

every thig you need drift otion now has the new oil cooler and ps cooler and the oil fileter adapter that will let you run a direct system (or the smart way like cre says whith a thermostat)

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-bpm-202-28.php oil filter adapter

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-psoilcooler.php ps cooler
Old 12-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The NA didn't come with an oil cooler, so if the swap on your car was incomplete you may not have it. The stock oil cooler mounts on the driver's side (left) right at the end of the stock intercooler.

Braided reinforcement isn't the same as stainless braided hose. Don't confuse the two. Braided fiber reinforced hose is what you use for pressure rated applications it's available with and without external braiding which is used to protect the exterior of the hose. I used oil hose from Aeroquip and no-pinch clamps on the pipe side. The hose was rated for around 200psi and MUCH more heat than the oiling system would ever see (even if it somehow caught fire)... It's made specifically for this application.

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Piggy808
Stock

Piggy808 is on a distinguished road

Ok...found it...so I should just leave it alone then? I guess I can run 2 oil coolers...now to look for a new PS cooler.
Mines ECU...soon to be megasquirt
3inch HKS
Dropped on K-sport coilovers
Piggy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I recommend against running both.... pressure loss and reduced flow = B A D.

Tip Jar --->

Tags
oil cooler, power steering