Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 07-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
leftfoot
Stock

leftfoot is on a distinguished road
Default Can I just buy a fuel pump filter?

I have a '89 Supra 7MGTE with a fuel issue. The car sat for a year and after trying to restart it (repeatedly) I have come to the belief that either the pump is not functioning properly (though I can here it whirring through the gas cap hole) or the fuel pump filter itself is clogged.

I did replace the fuel filter after pulling the fuel rail line and wasn't able to get any gas to flow. Unfortunately, after the fuel filter replacement today, I still get no fuel flow at the rail.

Longer story longer than it needed to be, but I am seeking your advice. Should I look to by an aftermarket upgraded fuel pump (OEM pump is like $450) or can I possibly just purchase the fuel pump filter itself?
leftfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

Joefishizzle is on a distinguished road

you can just buy a fuel filter(sock) for the pump, however i would just replace it with a walbaro. i know it sounds like your mpgs will go down however the lph doesnt regulate your mpgs. your fuel rail will pull the same amount of fuel as the stock one, just when you go to boost more or go higher HP the new pump will handle some more juice. Walbaro is a good brand, and im sure you can find some cheaper than a oem one.

just my .02.......
Joefishizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WALBRO-255LP...8b720c&vxp=mtr

theres one for $110 shipped to your door. good luck!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
leftfoot
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefishizzle View Post
you can just buy a fuel filter(sock) for the pump, however i would just replace it with a walbaro. i know it sounds like your mpgs will go down however the lph doesnt regulate your mpgs. your fuel rail will pull the same amount of fuel as the stock one, just when you go to boost more or go higher HP the new pump will handle some more juice. Walbaro is a good brand, and im sure you can find some cheaper than a oem one.

just my .02.......
Good advice Joe and quick shipping too on the one you found.

Can you think of any other troubleshooting steps I should take before ordering and dropping the tank?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I STRONGLY recommend you only buy Walbro pumps from very reputible shops. There has been a HUGE problem with Chinese counterfeit pumps and a lot of failures... just Google it.

Also do note that they're notorious for being quite loud and in a hatchback it's more evident than in a sedan where there's more between you and the pump. I've driven and ridden in a number of cars with them and while I don't mind the noise in a weekend car there's no way I'd like one in my daily driver. If you keep the fuel pump resistor and relay it's not terrible at low to mid loads though.

Recommendations on dropping the tank? Empty is a good start. Then just follow the TSRM.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
leftfoot
Stock

I was not aware of the counterfeit issue on these items. Thank you for the tip.

Barring that I buy from a reputable dealer, will I also need to purchase an aftermarket fuel regulator to compensate for the higher fuel rate and are there any other steps that I should take before purchasing to ensure this will actually solve my issue?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

Well for your first question...

1. No the stock fpr will handle everything. You can switch later if you decide to go more boost/fuel. MPG will not change like I said before

2. The only other thing you could do is test the fpr, check how much fuel your getting at the rail, if any. Check your efi/fuel pump fuse and relay. Other than that man, its not bad to just change it. 100-150$ isn't a bad investment.

And as far as dropping the tank. Jack up car(high as your jack will go imo) put on jack stands. Then use the jack to lower the tank once you removed the straps. Reverse installation. Pretty simple man.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Some people have reported having problems with the stock FPR and FPD but I'm quite sure that in all cases they were old parts already due for replacement..... Or the problem was that they deleted the resistor pack putting the parts through more strain than they should be at low to mid loads.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:09 AM   #9
chippies
Stock

chippies is on a distinguished road
Question question...

hi, um on my poopra the fuel pump relay is going off,so would the conversion on this post help in that or is it another issue?
chippies is offline   Reply With Quote