Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
phat_toaster
Intake

phat_toaster is on a distinguished road
Default Power Steering Blues

So I bought an '89 7MGTE a month ago, drove it over 700 miles from California where I picked it up, and then parked it. I was finishing my college career and didn't have the time for it. So yesterday, I decided to go on a Sunday drive, and the power steering pump seems to have disappeared. I have it parked over concrete and there's no evidence of leakage. Is it the pump?
-GReddy Turbo Timer
-Tokico Illumina II Struts
phat_toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Have you actually checked the fluid level? Do so, add fluid if needed, turn the car on and turn the wheel to each side until it stops a couple times each directions to warm it up. Also wouldn't hurt to replace the belt.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

i havnt had much trouble with these pumps other than leakage.
do what cre said check fluid level and bleed.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=SR&P=42
Old 04-24-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
phat_toaster
Intake

Cool, and thanks guys. I'll be replacing struts on Wednesday, so I'll dig into it then and post an update.
-GReddy Turbo Timer
Old 04-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

since were on the subject of PS. I wanted to ask the opinion of Lucas Ps treatment.
Im in the camp that doesn't like using fixes in a can. But I used this once on my moms eclipse. I think its more of a band aid then an actual fix. I wounder what problems it is actually making. Like burned out pulleys cause of the extra force due to higher viscosity on an already out of spec pulley.
Im not De-railing this topic Just saying if you were thinking of adding any of that it would be nice to know the pro's and cons.
Like I said I always try to fix something outright.. Most things in a bottle cause more harm then good, Just because the squealing goes away for a month dosnt mean its magically solved.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point

Am against all things that come in a bottle for a "quick fix". I was taught they do not work. While it may "work" for a bit, you are setting yourself up for failure. Then most of the people in this forum push their cars past their designed limits.

If one of them says to add some brake fluid to the transmission. Go ahead and hit them, it is a sure fire way to destroy it. Quality is doing thing right, shoody is doing things wrong because it is "cheaper". Actually in the long run doing it right is cheaper.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

i was actually lookin at the tsrm and there is not much to these pumps.
if you cant get it working try looking for a rebuild kit for it, or even better just buy a used pump, there are plenty of totaled mk3's sitting in yards.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

yea ranma Im against it to. her eclipse is a side facing motor.. as everyone knows im no mechanic. every job I do is the first time im doing it.. when I was growing up I just threw money at my problems and let someone else fix it.. This is the first car that I cared about enough to learn how to work on it. (long story.. ) anyhow It was the middle of winter and she just had a small squeal. I did bleed it and refill it. still kept the same squeal so I added the lucas.. Im fully prepared to replace the pump / pulley if need. I dont know shit about her eclipse tho. Im learning.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
phat_toaster
Intake

So, as promised, I jumped into the struts and replaced all four corners today, but that's a topic for a different thread. I found what I can only surmise is the the filler for the power steering fluid, but it's a tube on the driver's side that routes directly into the firewall, and the cap says "Use only DOT 3 brake fluid." And there was also some strange black plastic disc inside the nozzle, beneath the cap. Almost like a perfect plastic stone. Is that the filler for the power steering fluid? If not, what the heck IS that thing?
P.S. -- After about 50 miles of not working, the power steering pump seems to have come back from its leave of absence, at least temporarily.
-GReddy Turbo Timer
Old 04-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

This? http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?F=3103&P=1
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote