Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
2fast4u
3" Exhaust

2fast4u is on a distinguished road
Exclamation mk3 supra power steering fluid

hello ive got a 1990 toyota supra turbo with the 7mgte. i went to oreily auto parts to buy power steering fluid for my car. they told me i have to use dexron type automatic transmission fluid so they told me use dexron type 4. i put dexron 4 no problems or sounds but the manual says use dexron type 2. iam concerned that i might be ruining my power steering
Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

It's Dexron VI (6) not IV (4, never existed as a final product. No such thing as V or 5 either.). It is backward compatible but I recommend you fully replace the old fluid. The viscosity between the two is different and while it's still not well mixed in a power steering system you may notice off and on excessive response or resistance. Also, as it's thinner and will have active detergents, if you have a leak, expect it to be worse.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
2fast4u
3" Exhaust

Default mk3 supra

what do you recommend putting in becuase when i did the head gasket i removed the power steering can/filler. there fore when i was done with the head gasket i just filled it up with dexron 6. VI. should i drain and redo it and if so with what kind of fluid.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, they're technically safe to mix so if you've had it in there for a while I wouldn't sweat it. Nonetheless, changing the fluid completely isn't a bad idea.... It's probably never been done before. I would use Dex VI for the lower viscosity, higher shear resistance and lower friction coefficient. I'd change it out a second time after a month or two because all the fresh detergent it likely to loosen up a fair amount of crap.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-11-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
2fast4u
3" Exhaust

Default Mk3 supra

If i change it which pipe would be the return line
Old 04-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The return is low pressure... Has constant tension clamps as opposed to crimped fittings.

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
2fast4u
3" Exhaust

Default Mk3 supra power steering fluid

Alright. Thanks but what's the difference between crimped and constant clamps
Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Constant tension clamps aka CT clamps = The spring type phose clamp you use your fingers or pliers (or special tool) to remove and replace. FAR superior to worm gear clamps or regular T-bolt clamps but just below CT T-bolt clamps.

Crimped hoses have a metal cap that surrounds the entire end of the hose. Not to be confused with AN fittings which are hex shaped (the Supra doesn't have any of these stock anyway, so no worries).

Tip Jar --->
Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
2fast4u
3" Exhaust

Default mk3 supra power steering

they both have those clamps that you use your fingers or pliers. both of the line thats on the canister have those
Old 04-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I'm sorry... I was thinking on the compressor. The reservoir sits in the middle of the low pressure line. I believe you want the one which runs to the cooler, not the pump. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?F=4503&P=1

Tip Jar --->