Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

When he throttle is closed... guess what... it's supposed to be CLOSED. Quit dicking with things you have no idea about just because you think it might be a good idea and go buy a service manual. The idle is controlled via a computed controlled valve which bypasses the throttle body altogether. Your code 51 indicates a possible problem with the switch that's built into the TPS to tell the ECU when the throttle is closed.

Look in the MKIII FAQ section for a thread on diagnostic codes for a list and descriptions of the various codes.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
marcusproctor90
Stock

marcusproctor90 is on a distinguished road

Look I'm here to learn. I'm pretty good with cars but a supra is a lil more complex the a 95 accord so gimme a break here. Now I do realize that code 24 is an air fuel mix issue. So. Could my afm be the culprit? U answered my question on another thread about using a different afm by the way which I appriciate. And I do plan to get a service manual but moneys short right now. The car as I said before is my daily driver. It runs good just little things id like to take care of before I start getting really indepth with it. I appriciate the help and sorry for making u bang ur head on the desk. Like I said I'm new to the supra scene. Oh and I checked my codes again and 41 was not the right code it was 31. So 24 31 and 51 are the codes that it throws fyi. I'm. Mainly focusing on the air fuel mix right now tho.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and I'm here because I find some weird sort of joy in continuing to work after I've already clocked out. I'm always more than happy to help (my wife reminds me about it all the time... especially now that I'm rebuilding my 80 year old neighbor's 1946 Harley for free) but I'm not going to completely spoon feed anyone.

The diagnostic information you need is already present, I've told you where to look for it and I'm not convinced you've even looked at the FAQ on what each code means. Had you done so you might have found that the code 51 is the easiest code to fix and only has to do with idle issues. Codes 31 and 24 are related to two entirely separate circuits in the AFM... so it is more likely than not the AFM's connector is damaged, corroded or unplugged. Sure, it's possible the two circuits have both failed or the ground line the both share has been damaged but it's not the most common issue. Look in the service manual (again linked to in the FAQ section) for information on how to test the AFM and how to calibrate the TPS.

This is not a hard car to work on at all. Newer cars (incl. '95 Hondas) can be MUCH worse. They're just not as old, beaten up by teenage owners, have cheaper parts and a much better on board diagnostic system.

BTW - This is one of the easier going Supra forums and I'm not being a hard ass at the moment.

EDIT:

Aw hell, here you go:

Diagnostic codes and what they mean.
TSRM - Toyota Service and Repair Manual - It's for a '91 but the majority of information is consistent with earlier models.
TPS - Throttle Position Sensor diagnostic and repair information. Code 51 ONLY related to the IDL switch circuit and calibration.
KVAFM - Karman Vortex Air Flow Meter diagnostic and repair information.

If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 04-10-2012 at 12:51 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #14
marcusproctor90
Stock

marcusproctor90 is on a distinguished road

Hey I appriciate that. And ill check out the faq I'm still figuruing out how to navigate this forum plus its from my phone. But thanks for the help ill let u know what I discover.