Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

Joefishizzle is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Pressure(not what you think!READ!!)

hey guys ive looked everywhere for this simple yet frustrating thing. well my oil pressure gauge doesnt work. go figure. now my question is not to ask why its not working.

i found the oil pressure sending unit. however there is no wire or anything going to it. my question is what type of connector goes on it?(push, soilder, connector?) and also where in the harness does this wire run?

Thanks

Oh and 87 MK3 7MGE N/A 5 SPEED. thanks guys
Joefishizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

It's a single wire connector that slides onto the nipple of the pressure sending unit. Ive used a female spade connector in the past to fix a missing connector. As for where in the harness it goes, I know that it is bunched with the wiring thqt goes to the thermostat housing; beyond that, I'm not sure.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #3
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

Do you think by chance you have a picture? I've looked everywhere and can't find a spot for the terminal to hook up. I've felt for broken metal maybe to see if it broke off but it's all smooth. And by chance is the wire yellow with a black stripe? That's a broken hanging wire I found near the dizzy harness like you mentioned. Thanks for the help
Old 03-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Look in the MKIII FAQ section. here's a thread on 7M sensor locations which shows the oil pressure sensor, connector and weather boot. If memory serves me correctly the wire (it's a single wire) is yellow with either a black stripe or maybe a red stripe. It runs in the harness which runs over the engine behind the timing belt connector.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

Thanks cre,
I've located the wire. I know the sensor on my motor is just under the exhaust manifold to side of the filter base. However, as stated before I can't find a terminal end for a connector to go one. Judging by the picture from the replacement part on autozones website mine looks nothing like it. Mine maybe OEM however.
I was just wondering if anyone had a picture so maybe I could see and go from there. I really don't wanna spend 55 dollars on a replacement if I don't have too.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The end that the harness connector attaches to is like a nail head. A "T" from the side. The connector slides on it sideways. No idea what the autozone one looks like, but if you're looking at their website you're most likely not looking at an actual picture of the part.

Also of note is that the JDM sensor is smaller. The USDM "can" is about 2" in diameter and the JDM is about 1". They're not cross compatible.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

Thank you cre again, your awesome.

I just tried to wrap a wire around the head of the sender and connected the other end to the wire and got no reading so im guess the sender is no good. Atleast that confirmed it for me. Guess I'll have to see what I can pocket at the junkyard, and if that's no good then I'll have to go into vatozone and buy one. -_-

Thanks. I'll keep you guys posted
Old 03-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #8
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

okay so i went to the junkyard and snagged another oil pressure sender, hooked it up and didnt get anything from my gauge. so my question is before i go to buy a brand new one is there a way to test the sending unit? like with a voltmeter?

i would double check with test gauge but i dont have one. im just trying to eliminate things starting with the sending unit, seeings how all my other gauges in my cluster work
Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

Anybody? I check the wire at my gauge and I have voltage, however when I touch my test lead to the sender unit I get nothing. Does the motor have to be on to show voltage for this? And also now that I know its good at the gauge, guess that leaves just replacing the sending unit or replacing it with an aftermarket. With the price of the replacement sender might as well fml.....haha
Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

For the gauge to register anything, yes, of course the engine would need to be on... otherwise it'll sit at zero just as if it were unplugged.

You could try wiring in a 10 Ohm or 25 Ohm rheostat in series with the ground/signal wire for the gauge and see how it responds as you turn the knob.

Tip Jar --->