Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
lmmr74
Stock

lmmr74 is on a distinguished road
Default Bubbling noises

Hello,

I own a 89 Turbo (no AC) and i just recently fixed a BHG, the head was machined, new bolts, used the correct torque (75 lbs), etc.
I am experiencing the following: when i turn the heater on, i hear a bubbling noise behind the dashboard and it gets stronger as i increase the revs...it looks like compression from the engine is still passing to the coolant system. Can this mean that i have a BHG again ?!? Or its the heater core?

Thanks for any help!
lmmr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

One way or another you have gas in the cooling system.... Whether it's exhaust gases or just atmospheric is not something you can just determine from the bubbling. The easiest way to determine if it's combustion gases is to test the pH of the coolant. Most car parts shops here sell (or can order) pH test kits... it's a simple tester consisting of either litmus paper or a sample vial and pill.

Sure you could have a blown head gasket, or you may just have trapped air in which case topping the radiator off manually and over filling the reservoir will help it purge on its own. This could also be indicative of a small leak.

What type of HG did you use? Was any pitting of the block properly addressed? Was the block inspected for warping?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Awyman18
3" Exhaust

Awyman18 is on a distinguished road

yea on the bright side, when i did my hg when i would turn my car on i would hear bubbling behind the dash, but this was just air and it doesnt do this anymore, so dont freak out just yet lol
Awyman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:00 AM   #4
FRISBEE
Intake

FRISBEE is on a distinguished road

Its not more like water running when making turns?? have you had your windshield replaced? it just may be a water leak or trapped water in the cowl.
check to make sure the drain passages aren't plugged at the cowl area.
14.0@ 114MPH Time for Update
2007 Cadilliac Escalade daily
Knowledge Is Power...................
FRISBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
lmmr74
Stock

I used an original HG bought from Toyota. A compression test was done and eveything was fine...
I forgot to mention (don't know if it is related), but the car is a litle hard to star when hot and ocassionaly i can smell a bit of gas inside on the drivers side.

Thks and regards
Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

It's not uncommon for a compression test to show a tiny leak in the HG. If the system doesn't burp the gas out normally after a couple full heat and cool down cycles you may want to burp it manually and see if the gurgle returns. If it does, inspect for leaks, test the pH of the coolant (to test for the presence of caustic combustion gasses), pressure test the radiator cap.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
lmmr74
Stock

How about the fuel smell inside the car on passengers side? I also notice that the revs are allways at 1000 at iddle after car warms up, they shoud be around 750-800, isn't it?

I heard it can be a fuel leak or even the charcoal canister...
Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The smell could definitely be either. When the smell is at its strongest will be a significant indicator.

It could be a fuel leak at any of the junctions in the fuel supply or return; a leak in the injector seals on the fuel rail side (these little guys are very easy to pinch); a leak on the seals on the head side doesn't typically smell too strongly of fuel unless you're boosting.

A charcoal canister wouldn't really smell unless the BVSV wasn't opening and the check valve on the fresh air inlet was shot OR someone deleted it and didn't do it properly. The EVAP system is low pressure so you're not likely to notice the smell to any significant degree unless it's hot out or the engine is off and you've driven recently thus agitating the fuel in the tank.

You need to replace copper or aluminum washers every time they're removed. If you remove the injectors after the car's been run for 30K to 40K mi. or so you should replace the rubber O rings on the fuel rail side; This isn't a must, just safe.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-22-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

strongly agree with the injector seals, i have done this on all the Supra's i have owned, im not sure how mine were not leaking from the sheer age of them...
i "think" the felpro hg set comes with the fuel line washers and a few of the injector seals. but i am unsure as to rail, or manifold side?

wouldnt hurt to clean your charcoal canister.