Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
88A3507
Stock

88A3507 is on a distinguished road
Default 88 Supra

Hail from Colorado! I have been reading these forums for the past couple of years because of my interest in purchasing an MKiii. I recently picked up a 1988 supra turbo in Indiana and I have had enough time to give it compression/leak tests and teardown inspection. It drove well on the way home aside from a nasty flat in the middle of Kansas.

Before I purchased the vehicle, I learned that it did have some rust. Im not sure if I have the patience to search for a completely rust free model; they seem to be very elusive. The rust is minor, it has small, easily fixed surface rust around the holes for the door trim and some around the bolts and various non stainless pieces under the hood. The brake dust cover is rusted out completely. A previous owner coated the underside with some of that anti rust/mag chloride stuff (kinda feels like rhino lining). It seems to be clean and also it seems to have kept the rust off of the underbelly and floor.

I was also informed that it had a blown head gasket. The vehicle has 139k miles, and from what I have read this is a common problem. It has an ARP sticker on top of the radiator but Im not sure if that means it has the head bolt replacement upgrade or not. It will be replaced and I am going to inquire about a head gasket upgrade.

The hvac control looks like garbage but the rest of the interior is some minor upholstery repair and a steam cleaning away from flawless (except for that pos that is sitting in the place of my 5 speed). The headlight switch is very worn and generally causes my lights to turn off when I use my blinkers. Im sure I will find other random things wrong eventually, but I am happy with the immediate results.

The exhaust is "custom". I have determined that it was fitted together from scraps. I like to call it the advanced "funneling" exhaust system. It begins with a "custom" 3" downpipe that eventually "funnels" down to a 2.something" and then back to a 3" (no cat). If I remember correctly, this is called a venturi tube. All of that is gone this weekend with a nice HKS DP and a logical "custom" exhaust.

I will certainly be upgrading the transmission to a 5 speed. I will be able to take care of the exhaust and head gasket right away. I am on the prowl for an oem 5 speed transmission, buying a new one will set me back on fixing up the exterior trim, moldings, and tires but I would rather drive a tired looking supra with a manual than a shiny supra with an auto.

I will probably do some work to the intercooler, piping, and electrical system in the near future. I will upgrade my brakes somewhat but I don't see the necessity for a big brake kit with my driving style. I am looking for other clean and easy technological upgrades to my vehicle but I don't plan on doing anything major. I have started a stereo system plan, seems the speaker sizes are a bit random and my ABS skills will get put to the test once more. I hold onto things for a long time so its possible this thing will get a teardown in several years if I get tired of fighting away rust.

I have a lot of nostalgia for this body style of supra and I am glad I found a turbo hardtop most of all. I will be likely be asking questions from time to time. Thanks for reading and happy driving.

88A3507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, congrats on the new find... I hope you have a lot of good luck.

The pre89 climate controls are ugly as hell and buttons tend to start peeling after a few years. The climate control unit from '89 models and later are a bit more refined and don't have the foil faces; They swap right in.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote