Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Greendeere
Stock

Greendeere is on a distinguished road
Default New to Supras

I recently bought a 1987 Supra with the 7mgte motor. I'm new to supras but not new to building imports. I previously have owned a 95 Galant with a jdm 4g63t engine swap. Im kinda overwhelmed with getting this car going. I have the engine pulled and im looking to get at least 500hp out of it. Money is not really a problem as i plan on this being a long term project. Honestly i have no idea where to start on this thing and im having trouble finding places to buy the parts i need. I know i need to upgrade a lot of parts to get where i want to go. I guess basically im asking if anyone would have a parts list and websites to find them at the best price. Any help would be appriciated.
Greendeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
87supra7mgte
3" Exhaust

87supra7mgte is on a distinguished road

I don't know how your not finding performance parts, they are all over. I am doing my build through titanmotorsports mostly. Them, suprastore, jscspeed, horsepowerfreaks, enjukuracing has some parts, arizonaperformance has some stuff(mostly brakes and look good stuff, im getting the cam covers and centerpiece from them) and several others. Just google MKIII performance parts and all kinds of places show up.

For parts it depends on what you want to do. You'll need to rebuild the bottom end, i would get new pistons and rings as well if the rebuild kit you decide on doesn't come with them. You can either upgrade your CT-26 or get a different turbo and header. All turbo headers I have found are set up for an external wastegate. Either a piggyback system or a standalone, new fuel pump, FPR and injectors. You can decide on if you want a FFIM or keep your stock one,have to do custom IC piping if you do a FFIM. You can get the head ported and polished, bigger cams, bigger valves, better valve springs and seats. Oh and if your going to push that much power would definately look into a MHG.

There are all kinds of things you can do with the 7MGTE, just because it isn't a 2JZ or a 1JZ and is supposedly a horrible motor for BHG doesn't mean it can't be made reliable and to make power. Its out there and just requires a little searching.

Where are you from in OH, im from there originally, moved to WA because the army said so, lol.

87 supra, 7MGTE, head gasket and turbo replaced, runs and boosts! fixing wiring odds and ends, then storage for a year basically...then comes big money cash in er, lookin for 500+ to the ground and a very sleek, sexy mkiii
87supra7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Greendeere
Stock

Hey thanx thats a lot better than shooting in the dark. I live near canton. It was nice when i built the galant i did that while i was in the Marine Corps stationed out of Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. Had a lot of help and support down there from people that knew what they were doin. Now that im back in rural ohio no help no speed shops nothing lol. Thats why i asked for help on here.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
87supra7mgte
3" Exhaust

87supra7mgte is on a distinguished road

I'm from Kenton, wwwwaaaayyyyy west of you, lol. Thats one of the worst parts about OH is the import scene isn't that big so there aren't any speed shops. You can probably get it tuned somewhere around you though, or in columbus or cleaveland. Use the manual whenever your not 100% sure on how to do something, or even reference it to make sure your doing stuff right. Building power in cars is all the same, same techniques just different engine and different parts. More boost, more fuel, more air and better flow always=more power in a turbo/supercharged car. Finding stuff for these has been relatively easy, for stock replacement you can attempt to try your local salvage yard and see what they have, might come up with something good.

87 supra, 7MGTE, head gasket and turbo replaced, runs and boosts! fixing wiring odds and ends, then storage for a year basically...then comes big money cash in er, lookin for 500+ to the ground and a very sleek, sexy mkiii
87supra7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
Awyman18
3" Exhaust

Awyman18 is on a distinguished road

Woo Ohio represent lol I'm from and live in Columbus Ohio, and if u want to get it tuned PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT GO TO SLOW MOTION MOTORSPORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are so bad at tuning, i know of about 10 people who have had there cars tuned there and then they go boom Go to Defined Autoworks the owners name is Logan Carswell, he does an epic job. Also, definedautoworks.com
Awyman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
Greendeere
Stock

Its definately nice to know that im not the only person from ohio thats into tuner cars! yea ive looked at a few shops and there aint many around theres one up in akron but from their website it looks like they do mostly mustangs. For my machine shop theres a place in Carrollton called redline its affilated with the napa over there. Im pretty sure im ganna use them. As for a tuning shop i might have to take a trek to columbus