Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road
Default NA cams on 7mgte

I have heard around that people are always puting 7MGE cams into the 7MGTE and that there are decent powergains and was woundering if this is true and if it is whats the proper way to do it, or if this is just crap
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I can honestly say I have NEVER heard of anyone putting stock GTE cams into a GE. There's no reason, you'd lose what low end torque you have and need for any off the line performance and as the engine cannot move more than a fraction of what the GTE is capable you would sacrifice intake charge velocity for a volume which you can not meet.

Also, the exhaust cams are the same in both engines, only the intake is different.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
pandrade
12psi boost

Same as me, what I have heard is putting the NA cams into the turbo models head and seeing good results not vise versa
Old 01-12-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

He said GE cams in a GTE. I heard it gives a little low end power but chokes out the top ends. Your better off buying adjustable cam gears.
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, don't know how I got that backward...

Nonetheless, it's an old wives tale and has been proven as such several times now by people who've actually profiled the cams, run flow tests and dyno'd with them. They're designed to get air into the N/A as fast as possible and not designed for any higher airflow than perhaps 5% over VE which all you'll see above ambient in a N/A. Once you're in boost they're peaking.... then the dyno reads like a flat lining ECG.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
pandrade
12psi boost

So what I'm understanding is that for a little low end power you substantially lose in the mid-high end range and should just get adjustable cam gears on the O.E cams
Old 01-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Not quite... You don't really even get a decent low end bump in TQ as a healthy CT-26A will have you well past the zone where any benefit would be derived in only a few seconds. If you're racing one city block at a time (stop light to stop light) you may find it "better", but then a higher compression N/A with a shorter end gear would still beat you... In the quarter mile or any extended driving where you actually get to shift it's all handicap.

Adjustable cam gears are both overrated and underrated.... The same goes for custom cams. If you want any significant shift in power you really want a set of cams ground for your specific build and driving style... As most can't afford that a set of off-the-shelf upgrade cams paired with adjustable cam gear are the way to go. Adjustable cam gears aren't a waste and if you're going to be buying both but can only do one at a time the gears are what I recommend starting with.... but there is only so much room for tweaking with the stockers (may not seem like it, but once you get some serious cams in there you'll see). The thing with custom cams is that the more aggressive they are the bigger the difference many other factors are going to play... being locked into a static timing is a complete waste as .5? may make or cost a decent amount of power.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
pandrade
12psi boost

i can really only but cam gears at the moment, do you think buying the gears and geting it tuned would yield satisfactory results
Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Depends if it's stock or not AND it also depends on what you want from the change... Remember it's not magic; gain here = lose there (unless you've got programmable variable valve timing and lift.... drool). On a bone stock engine the differences will be negligible. As you upgrade the difference seen will naturally be greater and greater. A fuel controller, boost controller and adjustable cams will have you pretty happy.... for about a week.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
pandrade
12psi boost

What I'm really looking for is a little bit more high end because in high rpm"s I can feel the motor choke but that may also be due by the restrictive intake. I was thinking that whith a boost controller and the gears I could have a bit more area to tune