Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-31-2011, 04:52 AM   #1
Killa B
3" Exhaust

Killa B is on a distinguished road
Default short throw shifter

does anyone know of an actual short THROW shifter made for the w58 transmission? i read a post about useing one made for the w56 but it wasnt confirmed that it would work (something about the angle of the shifter) does anyone know?

Last edited by Killa B; 12-31-2011 at 04:55 AM. Reason: left out information
Killa B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The short throw shifters for the R154 MKIII fit.

Note that the shifter is specific to both the transmission's extension housing, linkage, the retainer assembly AND the car. A W58 shifter for a different vehicle will not necessarily fit the MKIII Supra as even the interior trim could be different enough to interfere.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...spx?F=3312&P=1
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

I had a short shift but the way it was made it had alot of play in it. So I went back to the stock and did then mod to it feels way better. Check it out

http://forums.mkiiisupra.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=25670
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the good ol' "SOGI mod"..... I hate that mod. It shortens the height of the shifter but does not significantly shorten the "throw" all while significantly reducing your leverage. On a W58 it's bearable, on the R154 it's just gross. If you've ever used a *well built* short throw shifter I can pretty much assure you would not be recommending that method.... That or you've got arms like Pop-Eye and shift slowly.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-03-2012, 04:18 AM   #5
Killa B
3" Exhaust

Killa B is on a distinguished road

wait i got my transmission out of an 85 celica supra so does that mean i need to get a shifter ot of an MKIII before i try and put the transmission in?
and your saying that all the parts in the short throw kit for the R154 will work for the w58? mainly i just need the bushing that goes on the bottom side of the shifter it shifts sloppy, just figured i would put a short throw kit in now while its not in the car lol
Old 01-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

It's easiest to install the shifter once the transmission is in.... otherwise you'll beat the crap out of the shifter as you try to drop or raise the transmission and line it up.

I've never looked for verification in any of Toyota's publications but from personal experience the R series seats seem to be 1 or 1.5mm larger in outer diameter. The inner cup is sized just fine though. You can muscle the seat into place or sand the exterior a little bit (it doesn't take much at all) and it'll pop in smoothly with no effort. My preference is the seat and shifter bushing from Marlin Crawler. Depending on the kit you purchase, the riser for the housing may require/include a different seat... So wait until you have it before ordering anything else.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 01-03-2012 at 05:00 AM. Reason: clarified
Old 01-04-2012, 04:08 AM   #7
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

you can find a short throw shifter for the w58 at celicasupra.com
although its not cheap. 300$ i think...
details can be found here:
http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...oducts-Catalog

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Price:$315
Part Number:S3-Short-Shifter

We all know the stock shifter gives you that semi-truck kind of feel, so here is your chance to own the best shifter made PERIOD. The S3 Short Shifter is for both W58 and R154 Toyota transmissions and features:

o 36% reduction in shift throw
o Threaded for Toyota shift knob
o Premium materials used and high quality finish
o Fully assembled, bolt in installation
o Manufactured and assembled in the USA

This shifter is designed by a Supra owner using premium materials:
o The shift rod is 304 stainless
o Upper shift housing is 303 stainless
o Lower housing is T6061-T6 Aluminum
o Insulation is a special polyurethane to reduce sound and vibration
o All precision machined parts are US sourced materials. Only two parts are imported.

Before S3

After S3
Old 01-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Heh... You getting kick backs or what... some sales pitch.

My turn:

The S3 really is one of the best short throw shifters available for the MKII/MKIII Supra (Yes, some MKII owners have installed it)... It's the one I would go with if I were in the market (see: if I still had a MKIII and was worried about the shifter height).

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
CanadianBak'inSupra

i think the factory shifters are great.
love the way the w58 shifts feels like a truck.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
CanadianBak'inSupra

if you just want bushings (sorry i just read that part)
get these:

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...ft-Bushing-Kit
called the shift-Gasm

and.. its true i ordered some a month ago, was professional and fast 35$ to my door

see below for bushing arrangement

be sure to read all of the first post before considering buying.