Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-28-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
Killa B
3" Exhaust

Killa B is on a distinguished road
Post stock turbo kit and manual swap on 7mge auto?

Okay so ive recently rebuilt my 7mge to all stock spec, and i still have my automatic tranny. I realize now that i want a turbo and a 5 speed i know i will need to get an R154 transmission slave cylinder, lines, pedal etc.

what i was wondering...do i need to swap out any of the engine internals to hold the extra HP? Has anyone swapped from an auto to a manual and had many problems because of it.

also was thinking about finding a ct26 turbo out of a junkyard and rebuilding it, would i have to get all the stuff out of a supra? i know the ct26 also came in...
86-88 4-runner
89-93 celica gt4
89-99 mr2
90-95 land cruiser (diesel?)

Last edited by Killa B; 10-28-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Killa B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

They're all clocked differently (have the wastegate mounted to different bosses on the housing and the compressor and/or exhaust are rotated at a different angle) and most have a different downpipe flange (size and bolt pattern). While a couple are interchangeable between vehicles I don't believe any of them is a direct bolt on to the stock 7M setup.

The 7M-GTE has oil squirters to cool the pistons (you can't add them to the GE) and different pistons for a lower compression ratio. The differences are well documented on the forum already, please use the search feature and look in the MKIII FAQ section.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
Killa B
3" Exhaust

Killa B is on a distinguished road

okay thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

as cre said oil squirters, not to mention the turbo version ran Cam Position Sensors and coil packs instead of a distributor.also i think there may have been a differnance in the cams, and 7mgte engines also had low compression pistons, 7mges got the domed.
its just easier to find a "7MGTE" block and head, after all they were designed for it...
for your auto to 5 speed conversion go to the FAQ, you will need:
-5speed(eitherw58ORr154)
-flywheel
-pressureplates
-Pilot and throwout bearings.
-Master and slave clutch cylinders as well as hard line.
-clutch and brake pedal from a 5speed of the same car.
-drive shaft to match the 5speed (i know with w58's the Dshafts for auto and manual are different lengths)
-bypass neutral safety start switch, this can either be plugged in and turned to the park position at all times, or wired into your clutch pedal, so that when the clutch is engaged the ecu thinks your in park allowing the car to start.

if i have missed anything im sure other users could fill in...
Old 01-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Technically, all of their pistons (GE and GTE) were "dished"... the GTE's are just dished to a greater degree to reduce the CR.

The intake cams are different but not the exhaust (except on the 86.5 for which both cams are different from other years and models).

Both engines use a CPS; The GE's is built into the base of the distributor but in a pinch the GE's dizzy may be used in the GTE (except there are clearance issues).
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
CanadianBak'inSupra

right on key with they real info!
is the 86.5 cams more aggressive or less??
Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I don't know what the differences may be; I don't know that anyone's ever profiled them. However, I am not aware of Toyota ever publishing any information regarding any change in the HP or TQ output from the initial '86.5 model to the later '87-'88 models. There were a number of differences as far as parts go for the '86.5 which had no significantly notable effect on the vehicle's performance.

Of particular interest though is that it appears the same cams which were limited to the USDM '86.5 were used in European MKIII's until the '89 model.

If the change was due to emissions requirements then it was either minor or Toyota did a fine job tuning around it. While there were many ECU revisions the '86.5 had it's own which were not used in later models.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #8
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

If u do the turbo best thing next is get a cheap 7mgte with all the parts and swap over everything to ur GE block. But u will have to have a oil drain fitting welded in the oil pan. Also best would to Switch to gte eletronics.
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I very strongly recommend against running GE electronics.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
CanadianBak'inSupra

if your gona find a 7mgte and all the stuff, use the 7MGTE engine.

if you find all the wiring and ecu you should be able to drop it right in, i think it requires a oil filter relocation... i think?