Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-13-2011, 12:51 AM   #11
89 soupda
Stock

89 soupda is on a distinguished road

89 soupda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #12
89 soupda
Stock

just drove all the way to my friends and grabbed his lexus afm, still the EXACT same thing.. i know now that mine isnt the lexus but idk what to do now!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 soupda View Post
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q.../VIDEO0063.mp4

I forgot to mention I have a safc2.

I'll look it up to. Do you have any idea on my problem? also how would I go about testing the wires to the sensor? It seems like every post I find on here your a very big help to them! Thanks.
Heh, don't tell my wife I'm on here.... I've been trying to spend less time volunteering on forums these days.

The SAFCII may account for a code 31 (and possibly the code 24 depending on how it's wired.... I can't recall if it intercepts the intake temp sensor wiring or not) without anything actually being broken. It (like other more complex piggy backs) has a small initialization period during which it interrupts the AFM's KS (and possibly THA) signal(s). Under this circumstance the error codes won't affect performance, they were recorded and the event ended right after the engine was started. **Actually, the SAFC II doesn't intercept the IAT so it's out as a likely cause for the code 24.

Well, unless you're using the wrong settings on your multi meter, the IAT portion is broken (the E2 and THA pins). Did you try measuring your friend's AFM per the manual so you know what to expect from a good meter?

Who installed and setup the SAFC II? Are you confident it is properly set up? Unless you're running some significant mods the fuel trims shouldn't be too far from zero in the fuel tables. Check your system settings against those in the writeup here: http://mkiiisupra.net/bbs/showthread...ght=guide+safc As long as you're not running large injectors on the stock AFM or other mods such as increased fuel pressure you can also try unplugging the SAFC II and reconnecting the two ends of the KS wire (should be the only one that was actually CUT) to eliminate it as a suspect... I recommend doing so if possible and while you're at it thoroughly inspect the wiring harness where it's been altered/tapped.

Is this a new problem? If so what has been worked on recently? Codes 31 and 24 are the only diagnostic codes you're getting?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
89 soupda
Stock

P
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Heh, don't tell my wife I'm on here.... I've been trying to spend less time volunteering on forums these days.

The SAFCII may account for a code 31 (and possibly the code 24 depending on how it's wired.... I can't recall if it intercepts the intake temp sensor wiring or not) without anything actually being broken. It (like other more complex piggy backs) has a small initialization period during which it interrupts the AFM's KS (and possibly THA) signal(s). Under this circumstance the error codes won't affect performance, they were recorded and the event ended right after the engine was started. **Actually, the SAFC II doesn't intercept the IAT so it's out as a likely cause for the code 24.

Well, unless you're using the wrong settings on your multi meter, the IAT portion is broken (the E2 and THA pins). Did you try measuring your friend's AFM per the manual so you know what to expect from a good meter?

Who installed and setup the SAFC II? Are you confident it is properly set up? Unless you're running some significant mods the fuel trims shouldn't be too far from zero in the fuel tables. Check your system settings against those in the writeup here: http://mkiiisupra.net/bbs/showthread...ght=guide+safc As long as you're not running large injectors on the stock AFM or other mods such as increased fuel pressure you can also try unplugging the SAFC II and reconnecting the two ends of the KS wire (should be the only one that was actually CUT) to eliminate it as a suspect... I recommend doing so if possible and while you're at it thoroughly inspect the wiring harness where it's been altered/tapped.

Is this a new problem? If so what has been worked on recently? Codes 31 and 24 are the only diagnostic codes you're getting?
I actually bought the car like this.. he said the upper belt wore a hole in the top hose and sprayed coolant everywhere and he slowly got it home by letting it cool then driving and so on, said it ran great all the way home then went out the next morning and boom, runs like crap. So that's why he figured afm cause it has a horrible steel cone filter on it and thought it sucked coolant into the afm?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #15
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the KVAFM is an optical metering system. While it's sealed to prevent damage some moisture seeping in can fog the optics and render the sensor useless... It would take a lot to soak it to the point that the temp sensor would degrade beyond providing any signal though.

So did you actually try your friend's AFM in your car?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-14-2011, 03:28 AM   #16
89 soupda
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Well, the KVAFM is an optical metering system. While it's sealed to prevent damage some moisture seeping in can fog the optics and render the sensor useless... It would take a lot to soak it to the point that the temp sensor would degrade beyond providing any signal though.

So did you actually try your friend's AFM in your car?
Well I tested the green and red wire and it was bad (the one that the safc2)
Old 09-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #17
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

What? I don't follow...

Tip Jar --->