Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-11-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

87hilux7mge is on a distinguished road
Default black cubes in block water jackets...block catalyst?

so, when i was putting the cyl head on the motor the other day, i was inspecting the water jackets (damn my ocd cleanliness) and saw two 1.5 inch sized, black cubes that look like coal or charcoal, and i was concerned as to what they were.

my thought was a block catalyst of sorts, to prevent corrosion. i just want to make sure its not something foreign, that shouldnt be in there.

any thoughts? i know, i should have taken pics, but i forgot so
Old 09-12-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Might want to post a picture, because I have no idea what you could be talking about... I don't even know where where in the coolant system could you fit *anything* 1.5"x1.5"x1.5"???? That would plug the radiator hoses and they're the biggest coolant passages there are.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

I found this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-397925268.htm
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

That's kind of what I was afraid someone might offer up... ACK!
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

damnit, thats exactly what it looks like. well, i wish the machine shop had noticed that and took them out. guess it wont technically hurt anything, but now they are in there till that motor gets torn apart again...

yea, they look like they were stuffed through the freeze plugs. i guess i could take the freeze plugs out and redo it, but i think ill just let it be.

aside from that, the motors pretty much done, ill post some pics, thanks for the help guys! at least its not a piece of the block. check my album for new pics, lemme know what you think!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Wow... I guess they didn't read the instructions... you're supposed to crumble them up and pour the stuff into the radiator... it's like compressed alumaseal. Personally, I wouldn't leave it... especially not in big pieces. Could break up and clog the radiator, thermostat and possibly chew up the water pump impeller. Can you break them up with a screw driver and wash them out? A bypass filter on the TB's coolant line could be employed to filter out any unwanted remnants over time.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

unfortunately, id have to remove the cylinder head and/or take the freeze plugs out, either of which i want to do over...but, i was already planning on using a coolant filter, and i could put one on both hoses....

idk, i might just take the freeze plugs out. i guess that would be the easiest way to remove them. like you said, crush em up with a screwdriver, then vacuum em out.

ugh...i hate that sheeet...
Old 09-19-2011, 05:42 AM   #8
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

figured out what they are. went down to the shop, and asked them what the hell they put in my block.

they showed me their box, and it is very similar to the above product. they are called REBUILDER CUBES. original, neh? but they are actually designed to disintegrate on their own. i asked about possible obstruction or damage to the water pump, and they said there would be none and they put them in all their motors. i also recieved a nice piece of paper that guarenteed against damage, high five!

so, no worries...but i still have to take the head back off....I FORGOT THE DAMN RTV ON THE REAR TIMING COVER....i do have it completely gaskacinched, but i dont wanna take any chances with it so...piss..
Old 09-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #9
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87hilux7mge View Post
but i dont wanna take any chances with it
Good idea. That rarely works well with these cars
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #10
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

exactly. as much of a pain as it is to take the head off, preventative maintenance...

heard too many horror stories about small aspects missed, then catastrophe ensuing.