Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
turbonicsperformance
3" Exhaust

turbonicsperformance is on a distinguished road
Default clutch question

been finding WAY too many part #s for the same part online so basically all i need to know and its probably been answered but i can't find it is ...
will the clutch disc for a r154 work on a w58?? my ACT solid disc is slipping so i'm going to a 6 puck disc and all i can find is for 7mgte which is supposed to have r154 behind it...
thanks for any help.
92 miata 7mgte swap forged pistons,studded mhg, 3 inch dp with a glass pack,blowthrough MAF-T,550cc inj, act stage 2 clutch, fmic kit, greddy rs, full wire tuck, rx7 lsd rear with 4.10s. 15psi "ct26-A"??(waiting on dyno #s) if anyone knows whats up with my turbo let me know it has a larger comp wheel nicer machining and 6 dual fins rather than 5? its confusing and keep finding too much contradicting info. would LLLLLOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEE a compressor map
turbonicsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

No, it won't work.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
turbonicsperformance
3" Exhaust

thanks. is it the clutch diameter, or something else? i saw that they are both 21 spline shafts but thats all i could find out.
92 miata 7mgte swap forged pistons,studded mhg, 3 inch dp with a glass pack,blowthrough MAF-T,550cc inj, act stage 2 clutch, fmic kit, greddy rs, full wire tuck, rx7 lsd rear with 4.10s. 15psi "ct26-A"??(waiting on dyno #s) if anyone knows whats up with my turbo let me know it has a larger comp wheel nicer machining and 6 dual fins rather than 5? its confusing and keep finding too much contradicting info. would LLLLLOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEE a compressor map
Old 09-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The diameter is larger on the R154 side. Doing a little digging I get results from some folks I trust saying that some discs will interchange without issue but no one seems willing to actually bet money on it. So.... I'll amend my initial response to a great big: Maybe.

I remember someone trying it once (I think it was an owner on SF) and having significant rubbing/scraping problems with a performance clutch disc spec'd for a GTE in a GE clutch. Not the prettiest thing to find when you have to pull the transmission a second time I'm sure; But he was pushing his luck, it was a several millimeters larger in diameter and there was some other issue with the pad overreaching the flywheel's friction surface (might have been an aftermarket flywheel). I'm sorry, I just can't remember all the specifics; I just decided that it was one of those things not worth screwing with.

I'd just contact the manufacturer and get dimensions and compare them to the dimensions of the OEM GE disc. If the diameter is just a few more millimeters then I wouldn't sweat it.

What are you running that you current clutch is slipping? Unless it's old or damaged the GE doesn't put down anywhere near enough power to win that fight... not even with every mod you can throw at it. The stocker will hold more than the transmission is capable of, I've been there done that.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-10-2011, 02:05 AM   #5
turbonicsperformance
3" Exhaust

i have a 7mgte in my miata with cp pistons studded mhg maf-t 3 inch custom dp fmic and 2.5" piping and 550 ccs running 15psi from the "gte-u" turbo (i guess... idk exactly but the compressor wheel is 5mm larger than my friends and another ct26 i have lying around as well as havind 6 dual fins rather than 5) i have the ACT stage 2 street clutch and in 3rd or above under boost it slips quite a bit the pressure plate has good pressure and only like 8k on it... it held up to 6 psi fine when i went to 15 it started slipping and now that it has glazed it slips all the time even lowering it back to 10psi i'm just running a w58 for the time being until i locate a r154 plus the miata only weighs 2360 with me and a FULL tank of gas lol so the w58 should take quite a bit it just spins the tires instead

I found the disc i needed though part # 6236007 6 puck unsprung or 6236207 6 puck sprung

any experience in possible holding gain between the 6 puck and street disc?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

You should be spigging tires all day long, not your clutch. I know people with similar setups who get away with launching all day on stock Toyota clutches in MUCH heavier MKIIIs.

At any rate yeah a 6 puck disc and a higher pressure pressure plate would be the next step up. Do NOT use an unsprung disc!

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
turbonicsperformance
3" Exhaust

yeah im pretty sure its just because it galzed over but id rather not pull the trans just to have it resurfaced and not swap out the discs ... also a little too late on the unsprung disc its gonna be here tomorrow ... everyone i talked to said that using the unsprung will be a little harsher on everything but a little more street friendly until i can get a better setup (should be just a few weeks) my main concern was the rear end and the chatter is what will kill that so unsprung it is (plus my friend let me drive his turbo miata with unsprung 6 puck and it drove quite nicely actually)
Old 09-12-2011, 02:07 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Unsprung MORE street friendly? You're talking to the wrong people. Whatever, have fun with it.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
turbonicsperformance
3" Exhaust

i guess i worded it wrong... its more pleasant to live with i guess is how i should have put it ... the sprung puck clutches chatter alot and make annoying squeaks and little things like that. the unsprung clutches are a little harsher on the driveline but as for the driver its a little less annoying. ive driven both maybe its just a personal preference but i like the unsprung a little more.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonicsperformance View Post
i guess i worded it wrong... its more pleasant to live with i guess is how i should have put it ... the sprung puck clutches chatter alot and make annoying squeaks and little things like that. the unsprung clutches are a little harsher on the driveline but as for the driver its a little less annoying. ive driven both maybe its just a personal preference but i like the unsprung a little more.
I'm sorry but you have it backward. SPRUNG is buffered, causes less chatter and less shock to the engine and drivetrain... not unspring. Unspring = no dampers/SPRINGS to buffer state transitions.

Tip Jar --->