Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
icey756
3" Exhaust

icey756 is on a distinguished road
Default LED Tail lights and Blinker questions

Alrighty. So i want to get LED for my Blinkers and tail lights. There are red ones available but im not sure if i should just get all white ones. The reason for second guessing is because the lenses of the car itself are red (for brakes) and orange (for turn signals). So im not sure if regular ones will do it for the turning or braking. Any guidance is appreciated.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

I haven't gone outside and removed my lamps in a while, but I'm pretty sure they are all regular clear bulbs. So you should be able to use the same for LED's.

If you get LED bulbs, make sure they have a resistor built in (or you wire one in). Otherwise your turn signals will flash rapidly, and I'm pretty sure the brake lamp failure light on the dash will always be on once you hit the brakes.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
icey756
3" Exhaust

ok thank you
Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you'll need to add resistors to the turn signal circuit to maintain a normal duty cycle... or convert to a digital flasher control instead of the stock flasher relay.

The tail lamp failure module will complain. You have three options here: Add a resistor and hope you can get the load just right to please it; Take the module apart and retune it for the much smaller load values (I've posted info on this here or on SM); Delete the module altogether.

You may fine the LEDs are dimmer. Omni directional LED clusters don't reall project a whole lot of light in any one given direction and they don't point it all where you want it. My suggestion fore the best possible visibility and best looking lighting is to buy some of the rectangular LED lights used in commercial vehicles (delivery trucks, semi's, ambulances). They come large enough to fill up each section of the MKIII's tail lamp housing, are very bright, really are DOT approved and some even come with a pulse circuit. Just remove the housing they come in and put the circuit in your housing... secure with hot glue or whatever and wire it up.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
SilverMK3
Stock

SilverMK3 is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure that the LEDs are supposed to be the same color as the lens.
This is from superbrightleds.com

If you do this I would like to see what the lights look like with LEDs in them.
Good Luck
SilverMK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

That's not entirely accurate regarding visual filters... there's a significant level of attenuation but how much depends on the construction of the lens and the effectiveness of the dyes used. Think about it, the incandescent lamps you're using presently emit an even broader range of color yet your lamps still look nice and red. Looking at their example I'd say they were running some very blue white LEDs in there. White LEDs do not emit all colors and as such their performance will vary. Running red LEDs you do still face a real concern of attenuation and a resulting dim appearance.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
icey756
3" Exhaust

I dont know if I'm going to run LEDs then. I might just leave it as is. Unless someone makes a brighter bulb for things like this?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #8
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

I changed all my lights to LEDs. I had red for the taillights, amber for rear turns and amber for fronts because I have the clear front turns, white for the front corner parking lights and my back up lights. Here is a video of my taillights and turn signals but they r not red nomore went to amber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JnWP...e_gdata_player
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

MOST after market LED solutions are actually a significant amount dimmer than the original incandescant bulbs. They're only reasonably bright if you're looking at them from within a very narrow viewing angle. Omni directionals help with this but still have really bad hot spots (as you'll see in Sonyps307's video). The only way I'd run LEDs is if I were to take an existing DOT registered LED fixture and move the internals into the desired housing.... that or build my own array out of 5-watt LEDs but the heat sink requirements would probably confine me to the former solution.

Sonyps307, do you fellow motorists a favor and buy some real headlight enclosures which actually place the light where it should be... you'll get more light on the road where it should be and you'll be less likely to get hit in a head on accident (people tend to steer INTO bright objects... we're like moths that way).

Tip Jar --->
Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

I would like to get real headlight housing. but I forgot the company that made them and where to get them. I know u already said the company on another headlight post but I can't find that also.
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote